Grrrrrrr: got green card

Very quickly (10 days) Jie got her green card today. As excited as we were to see it, the govt printed that she was born in Taiwan.

So, I call USCIS, found out what we need to do (I-90). I am going to put her green card in the mail with the I-90 and back to the govt: and by the way......the govt who approved her wants supporting documentation that they approved her and that she is really from China.

In addition, since we are going to Shang hai in March, I asked how long this could take. The USCIS CSR told me it could take up to 6 months. WHAT????????? So, I asked, if she doesnt get the new GC, will this be a problem when she comes back to the US? She thought "YES".

Sidebar: During her AOS interview, when the IO approved her, I asked "Dont you stamp her passport?" He said, "No, we dont do that anymore".

OK, back to the phone call:

So, Miss USCIS CSR, what do we do for travel if we dont get the new GC? She tells me we have to make this stinking INFO PASS appointment, so that we can go meet with someone, prove she is here legally and approved, and then they will.......get this.......STAMP HER PASSPORT!!!!

Gonna send that GC back and shove it up their AOS!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

(I am not really that mad, it just makes for a good post).

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

Being a 2-yr. conditional registration card and your plans to go to SH in March, I wonder if the typo could be overlooked until you file the I-751.

I mean, how much trouble could you get into since the typo is their mistake, and it sounds like a lot more trouble to get it corrected than it is to ignore it.

Just a thought... :)

Ken,

I read this earlier, and I am still thinking about it.

This is not right! We, those who abide the law, jump through hooooola-hoops. Just ain't right.

"Chiana" is a typo. Freaking "Tiawan", you have got to be kidding.

That is crazy.

So to correct this, finish it up, must complete I-90.

So they have a form for their, ups too?.... Hmmmmm......For real?

How much does that cost? INFO PASS, Stamp, and all?

Not painting a bright picture for me here, Ken!

I guess there are many who have these issues out there, name backwards, birthdate backwards, and it does not suprise me that "Country of Origin" would be in the mix also?

Dang man, good to see ya, you'll hammer it out.

What's that dude who says;? "Here's your sign!"

Kind of like, who's your mothers child. lol

Ken, you want to make a photocopy of the visa, passport and green card for your records and other correspondence.

When you take your paperwork with you to the Infopass appointment to get your I-551 stamp and try to submit it there and you and your wife should act extremely indignent, not screaming and yelling, but hurt and wounded. You could include a cover letter that your wife, a citizen of the Peoples Republic of China, is extremely upset that the United States Government is recognizing a province of China as a sovereign nation and demand a written appology, or not. :huh:

I know that I'd beat the hell outta them over this one and the suggestion of a possible 6 month delay in correcting it might prompt me to ask if it was necessary to consult with the Chinese consulate concerning this breach in protocol toward one of their citizens in the US.

A letter to your congressmen that you would like them to advise the USCIS that this type of mistake could easily cause international friction and the US Government should be more careful.

This is not the first time this has happend and you both have the right to be pissy about this one, also demanding to see a supervisor for an official letter of appology might add some joy to your day since they are screwing with you. :blink:

Ken, you want to make a photocopy of the visa, passport and green card for your records and other correspondence.

When you take your paperwork with you to the Infopass appointment to get your I-551 stamp and try to submit it there and you and your wife should act extremely indignent, not screaming and yelling, but hurt and wounded. You could include a cover letter that your wife, a citizen of the Peoples Republic of China, is extremely upset that the United States Government is recognizing a province of China as a sovereign nation and demand a written appology, or not. :)

I know that I'd beat the hell outta them over this one and the suggestion of a possible 6 month delay in correcting it might prompt me to ask if it was necessary to consult with the Chinese consulate concerning this breach in protocol toward one of their citizens in the US.

A letter to your congressmen that you would like them to advise the USCIS that this type of mistake could easily cause international friction and the US Government should be more careful.

This is not the first time this has happend and you both have the right to be pissy about this one, also demanding to see a supervisor for an official letter of appology might add some joy to your day since they are screwing with you. :lol:

I agree with Lee 100% on this one. It's pure BS.

Why do I get the feeling it's some Taiwanese-American working on this case file and purposely put in Taiwan--trying to make a political point about China being the Republic of China (Taiwan). <_<

You all are over-reacting a bit too much. An incorrect POB on the GC isn't going to open up a congressional inquiry into the matter, nor is it a cause for war. It's a mistake, sure, but is it worth all the time and energy being proposed here? Ken already said that it could be a 6 month ordeal to get it correct. That's 1/4 of the the 2-yr conditional status! Is it worth all that? By Ken's timeline, his wife already has her ss number, so she needs not be concerned about using her GC for that.

I understand the disappointment and frustration, however, my point is; is it worth the time and trouble for one little "boo-boo"?; especially when the card is only good for 24 months. I don't know; maybe it is but the way I'm thinking of it is that it isn't worth all that trouble. Of course if Ken thinks it is, then he can tangle with the USCIS for the next 180 days, and possibly beyond, thereby putting his wife's GC "on hold."

The question that sticks out in my mind is, what is this going to do to his SH trip?

"one in the hand is worth two in the bush"

When you take your paperwork with you to the Infopass appointment to get your I-551 stamp and try to submit it there and you and your wife should act extremely indignent, not screaming and yelling, but hurt and wounded. You could include a cover letter that your wife, a citizen of the Peoples Republic of China, is extremely upset that the United States Government is recognizing a province of China as a sovereign nation and demand a written appology, or not. :)

This is not the first time this has happend and you both have the right to be pissy about this one, also demanding to see a supervisor for an official letter of appology might add some joy to your day since they are screwing with you. :lol:

I agree with Lee 100% on this one. It's pure BS.

Why do I get the feeling it's some Taiwanese-American working on this case file and purposely put in Taiwan--trying to make a political point about China being the Republic of China (Taiwan). <_<

The fact that the government workers don't know/understand the regulations is in itself a major security risk for the U.S.A.

Lee and SirLancelot, thanks for the help, however, both of us find it very difficult to get indignant. And in this case, considering all the problems with visa's/AOS, etc, I am not about to get an immigration officer on opposite sides of us. He is a govt worker, and their tendency is already apathetic to citizens' problems (GZ has proven this). And I dont want to set them on opposite sides of us. So, when we go for infopass (Dec 1) we are going to use honey before we use vinegar, which we both have better success with.

However, I do agree that putting "Taiwan" on the card is more than a typo. A Taiwan-American makes sense considering the political atmosphere between the two.

yuanfen, good to see you too! About $$, if we lost the card, $260. Their error, $0.

tywy, you nailed it. What are we going to do about the Shanghai trip?

This is our main concern. Will a customs official in SFO 'overlook' an inaccurate GC?

yuanyang, the people in the USCIS may be idiots, but the customs folks in airports may take it more seriously! That is our concern.

Here are the 3 options I am considering:

1) Do we file the I90 today (which requires returning the GC), then go to the Dec 1 infopass appointment?

2) Do keep the GC, wait until the Dec 1 infopass appointment, then file the I90? (we lose a precious 2 weeks time)

3) Or do we just chance it on the trip to Shanghai? (I just dont feel right about that, I do think a customs official would give her trouble).

Indignant or nice, I guess I am just not confident that the infopass appointment will yield a stamp.

On the upside, I thank God that the error in the process occurred in the AOS process while she is here in America......and not while she was in PRC waiting on a visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

Lee and SirLancelot, I stand corrected. Jie feels very slighted by this and is very indignant about become a Taiwanese, and plans to say something when we go!!

I guess I'll just shut up and let her do the talking! :baby:

Hahaha.. that's too funny. Just as Taiwanese don't like to be referred to as Chinese, so the Mainland Chinese don't like to be referred to as Taiwanese. Hahahaha.. I'm glad to see your wife being appropriately nationalistic on this issue. :huh:

Lee and SirLancelot, I stand corrected. Jie feels very slighted by this and is very indignant about become a Taiwanese, and plans to say something when we go!!

I guess I'll just shut up and let her do the talking! :baby:

Hahaha.. that's too funny. Just as Taiwanese don't like to be referred to as Chinese, so the Mainland Chinese don't like to be referred to as Taiwanese. Hahahaha.. I'm glad to see your wife being appropriately nationalistic on this issue. :huh:

It was very funny, in fact, as I drove her to work this morning, we were talking about it, and she was making her point about how she wants to tell the IO how insulting it is for a Chinese to be called a Taiwanese, and this and that, and I had to remind her: "It's ok to say something about that, but remember, our whole reason for infopass is we are going there to get a stamp, not make a political statement on behalf of China!"

You all are over-reacting a bit too much. An incorrect POB on the GC isn't going to open up a congressional inquiry into the matter, nor is it a cause for war. It's a mistake, sure, but is it worth all the time and energy being proposed here? Ken already said that it could be a 6 month ordeal to get it correct. That's 1/4 of the the 2-yr conditional status! Is it worth all that? By Ken's timeline, his wife already has her ss number, so she needs not be concerned about using her GC for that.

I understand the disappointment and frustration, however, my point is; is it worth the time and trouble for one little "boo-boo"?; especially when the card is only good for 24 months. I don't know; maybe it is but the way I'm thinking of it is that it isn't worth all that trouble. Of course if Ken thinks it is, then he can tangle with the USCIS for the next 180 days, and possibly beyond, thereby putting his wife's GC "on hold."

The question that sticks out in my mind is, what is this going to do to his SH trip?

"one in the hand is worth two in the bush"

If it was just one boo boo I would agree with you but the USCIS is fraught with boo boos. Look at all the trouble Mick had with mistakes on his wife's GC. My wife and I sent in our I-751 and the NOA came back with her middle name twice instead of her last name. Among members on this board a large percentage have mistakes on thier paper work which the USCIS indignantly says "prove we made a mistake". I also agree that it could be a serious security issue. I'm tired of excuses for an inept agency. These people need to pay more attention to detail.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Here are the 3 options I am considering:

1) Do we file the I90 today (which requires returning the GC), then go to the Dec 1 infopass appointment?

2) Do keep the GC, wait until the Dec 1 infopass appointment, then file the I90? (we lose a precious 2 weeks time)

3) Or do we just chance it on the trip to Shanghai? (I just dont feel right about that, I do think a customs official would give her trouble).

Officially you should be able to get the stamp with the welcome letter.

Someone else, can't remember who, took their green card and paperwork when they went to get the stamp and was able to file it on the spot.

I'd be reluctant to turn loose of the card itself until you have the stamp in the passport, because you never know what new policy the USCIS will decide to implement and we know the erroneous green card and evidence of their error will get you one.

There shouldn't really be any downside to your wife being pissy with them, they have earned it and if they really piss her off by being anything less than appologetic she could ask if they would prefer her to take it up with HER government. That would get their attention. :coolthumb:

Just remember to tell her that the IO at the window had nothing to do with this mistake.