Just a reminder.

Inportant all aliens that move must send a change of address form to DHS. The form is on their web site. Can you believe that they don't charge anything!

The reason they dont charge anything is probably because you would have to submit the change several times before they get it completed and completely properly :)

Not only dose the alien needs address change but also their sponsor.

Submit both AR-11 and I-865 . The AR-11 needs to be submitted within ten days of moving.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Inportant all aliens that move must send a change of address form to DHS. The form is on their web site. Can you believe that they don't charge anything!

All the more reason for citizenship, not to mention voting rights, and "that other thing."...:rolleyes:

I guess one can't complain too much though. There was a time when an alien had to submit their address once every year.

All the more reason for citizenship, not to mention voting rights, and "that other thing."...:)

I guess one can't complain too much though. There was a time when an alien had to submit their address once every year.

Amen to that, the way they want to track the where abouts of aliens makes me think of a communist country and not the USA, the ability to move where ever is one of the freedoms that we enjoy! Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

May I use my parents-in-law's address as a permenant address, since I may have to move from one rental apartment to another frequently?

I don't believe that is what they want, they want to know where you are, not your in laws, not reporting your address can get you in to trouble if they want to enforce the law.

There are possible consequences to aliens who willfully refuse to report their address.

INA Section 266(b ) states:

¡°Any alien or any parent or legal guardian in the United States of any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 265 of this title, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not to exceed $200 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. Irrespective of whether an alien is convicted and punished as herein provided, any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 265 , shall be taken into custody and removed in the manner provided by chapter 4 of this title, unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful.¡±

For those of you who are concerned about the fact that you have never notified BCIS of a change of address, please note that the above regulation indicates that you may avoid punishment if the failure is reasonably excusable or was not willful.

INA: ACT 262 - REGISTRATION OF ALIENS IN THE UNITED STATES

Sec. 262. [8 U.S.C. 1302]

(a) It shall be the duty of every alien now or hereafter in the United States, who (1) is fourteen years of age or older, (2) has not been registered and fingerprinted under section 221(b ) of this Act or section 30 or 31 of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, and (3) remains in the United States for thirty days or longer, to apply for registration and to be fingerprinted before the expiration of such thirty days.

(b ) It shall be the duty of every parent or legal guardian of any alien now or hereafter in the United States, who (1) is less than fourteen years of age, (2) has not been registered under section 221(b ) of this Act or section 30 or 31 of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, and (3) remains in the United States for thirty days or longer, to apply for the registration of such alien before the expiration of such thirty days. Whenever any alien attains his fourteenth birthday in the United States he shall, within thirty days thereafter, apply in person for registration and to be fingerprinted.

(c ) The Attorney General may, in his discretion and on the basis of reciprocity pursuant to such regulations as he may prescribe, waive the requirement of fingerprinting specified in subsections (a) and (b ) in the case of any nonimmigrant.Sec. 265.1 Forms.

Except for those exempted by section 263(b ) of the Act, all aliens in the United States required to register under section 262 of the Act shall report each change of address and new address within 10 days on Form AR - 11. This form is available at post offices and Service offices in the United States. The completed form must be mailed to the Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service, Washington, DC 20536. [47 FR 44239, Oct. 7, 1982]

http://www.utexas.edu/international/cs/ar11.html

I think reporting the in-laws address could be interpreted as willfully refusing to report your address.

May I use my parents-in-law's address as a permenant address, since I may have to move from one rental apartment to another frequently?

I would, you are less likely to lose some important thing. Just make sure the PO will deliver the mail, with your name, and not return it to sender. On another thread "they" recommended you give the local Post Office a change of address form for your in-laws' address. Only question might arise at interview time if they compare mailing address to your ID address or other documents you bring. Don't think it's a big deal though.

I would, you are less likely to lose some important thing. Just make sure the PO will deliver the mail, with your name, and not return it to sender. On another thread "they" recommended you give the local Post Office a change of address form for your in-laws' address. Only question might arise at interview time if they compare mailing address to your ID address or other documents you bring. Don't think it's a big deal though.

Everything is a "Big deal" when it come to the Department of Homeland Security, that is why there is "INA: ACT 262 - REGISTRATION OF ALIENS IN THE UNITED STATES" and the reporting using form AR-11. And a 10 day requirement.

Be careful about taking immigration laws lightly.