Wrote to my Congressman

If there is a need for reform in the system, which I believe there is to some degree, how do our elected officials know there is a problem unless letters are sent. In opinion, the letters should be precise with the facts, and information stating the case of reform. I feel letters are a good thing, but the content must support the case for reform. Not a plea for an individual case. I feel it must make a difference on a grand scale for it to receive attention.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a need for reform in the system, which I believe there is to some degree, how do our elected officials know there is a problem unless letters are sent. In opinion, the letters should be precise with the facts, and information stating the case of reform. I feel letters are a good thing, but the content must support the case for reform. Not a plea for an individual case. I feel it must make a difference on a grand scale for it to receive attention.

I didn't ask any help for my personal case, but I must point out that my Congressman is there to represent me and fellow constituents in our district. Likewise, your Congressman/woman only cares about his or her constituents in your district.

There are two kinds of letters. One is to effect legislation--that is more on the grander scale. The other is to request assistance in helping wade through federal agencies. They are two very different kind of letters. The latter is one in which you are asking for specific help on an individual case. And it is the job of your Congressman/woman to help you out; it need not be on any grade scale to receive attention. Now whether you believe your actual Congressman/woman helps you or not is an entirely different matter, but they are there to represent and help their constituents. If he or she doesn't help, vote for someone else this coming election.

I didn't ask any help for my personal case, but I must point out that my Congressman is there to represent me and fellow constituents in our district. Likewise, your Congressman/woman only cares about his or her constituents in your district.

There are two kinds of letters. One is to effect legislation--that is more on the grander scale. The other is to request assistance in helping wade through federal agencies. They are two very different kind of letters. The latter is one in which you are asking for specific help on an individual case. And it is the job of your Congressman/woman to help you out; it need not be on any grade scale to receive attention. Now whether you believe your actual Congressman/woman helps you or not is an entirely different matter, but they are there to represent and help their constituents. If he or she doesn't help, vote for someone else this coming election.

In due respect, just an inquiry, I know.

That is what we pay them for. Good idea.

It would be interesting to know why it takes 3 months to receive the petitions.

From the direction the thread was heading, how GUZ or any other Consulate does business? That would take a little more.

Let us know.

I whole heartily support the idea of writing our Congresspersons asking them to look at the possibility of increasing the budget and staffing for GUZ. I would say to them that we are past, present or future customers of the GUZ visa process and would like for them to look into budget staffing increases. It's out understanding that they are short staffed and thus it take a considerable amount of time for our SO's to have their applications reviewed and processed. I would put the letter to my Congressperson in a positive light and not that GUZ is doing a lousy job, because I believe they are at least attempting to do all they can under the circumstances. I've been doing the "more with less" for the last 32 years, especially the last six years at my federal agency.

I know that they cannot come out and ask us to write our Congresspersons or lobby on their behalf. It would be illegal, just as it would be for me to do the same for my agency. I'm not sure what the policies are on this site about starting a letter writing campaign, but if it's ok with the moderators, I think we should start. It would be great if past, present and future users of the GUZ process would write to their Congresspersons. Just maybe, it will get someone's attention. Although it is too late for those that have gone through the process and for those in the process, maybe it would make things better for those who follow. Just my thoughts...

As aye,

Jim

I agree that being pro active in this matter is positive and better then doing nothing, however I am under the impression, and I may be wrong , that This is a strictly a political issue. I think the higher ups in Washington, I mean the big guns that dictate foreign policy, are standing behind this. It (Visas) is probably being used as another pressuring tool on China. All you have to do is look at other countries that are on better terms with The US (England for example) and realize that funds are being allocated to these embassies with no problem.

I agree that being pro active in this matter is positive and better then doing nothing, however I am under the impression, and I may be wrong , that This is a strictly a political issue. I think the higher ups in Washington, I mean the big guns that dictate foreign policy, are standing behind this. It (Visas) is probably being used as another pressuring tool on China. All you have to do is look at other countries that are on better terms with The US (England for example) and realize that funds are being allocated to these embassies with no problem.

This is partially true, but something that would counter this argument is the new US Embassy which is being completed in Beijing. It will be the biggest US Embassy in the entire world, covering almost 10 acres. This pretty much signifies that US-China relationship will be one of the most important relationships for the US--as well as China.

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/new_embassy.html

Construction is well under way for a new American Embassy in Beijing. Ground was broken February 10, 2004 for what Charles E. Williams, Director and Chief Operating Officer of the Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations described as, "The largest single construction project undertaken by the Department of State on foreign soil." The new Embassy is scheduled to open for business before the start of the summer Olympic games in Beijing in 2008.

The new Embassy will feature five separate buildings, each with specific functions, on a ten-acre site in Beijing's third diplomatic area in the Liang Ma He neighborhood. The five buildings are separated from each other but linked by both indoor and outdoor circulation paths. The spaces between buildings are organized as a series of outdoor rooms, courtyards, gardens and landscaped areas. The five buildings, ranging in height from two to eight stories, include a main office building, a support office building, a Consular building, a Marine Security Guard Quarters and recreation building, and a parking structure. While the arrangement of the buildings on the site and the features of the landscape are based on ancient Chinese planning principles, the design of the buildings themselves is representative of the best modern design that America has to offer.

Lots of money is being allocated to the China region at the DoS, but it's just not to GUZ. I've asked before but received no replies on here. I wonder if DoS allocates total China region funding to the US Ambassador in China and he re-distrubites to the rest of the Consulates in China or does DoS directly dole out funds to each Consulate. Anyone know?

Randy, I've read and studied that specific response many times. However, it does NOT reconcile with all the information available for us to study via DHL tracking.

There are distinctly two types of shipment which are sent from NH to GUZ. Smaller packages weighing few pounds always go through customs very quickly. The larger packages--which ostensibly contain our visa petitions--always take 1-2 months, if not longer, to clear customs.

Their answer doesn't reconcile with the empirical data. The smaller packages also went through DHL and NOT via diplomatic pouch. So what gives?

Randy, I've read and studied that specific response many times. However, it does NOT reconcile with all the information available for us to study via DHL tracking.

There are distinctly two types of shipment which are sent from NH to GUZ. Smaller packages weighing few pounds always go through customs very quickly. The larger packages--which ostensibly contain our visa petitions--always take 1-2 months, if not longer, to clear customs.

Their answer doesn't reconcile with the empirical data. The smaller packages also went through DHL and NOT via diplomatic pouch. So what gives?

I believe they use DHL/customs as a storage facility and to ward off any congressional inquiries as to why the process takes so long. A few years back, there was an attorney trying to get information together for a class action suit or some such action.

Thanks for the link. Interesting read...

Check these links out:

http://www.dhl.com/publish/g0/en/eshipping...mp;submit=Track

These are just some examples of our petition packages just sitting there, still waiting for clearance. :( :o :lol: :lol: :eyebrow:

Since one of my Senators--the one I like actually--is up for re-election as well in NOV, I thought I'd send her office the same letter I sent to my Congressman. So I did.

What I'm afraid of is that by the time I get a response from either office, GUZ will have received my petition and the P3 will probably have been sent out to my SO already. :blink:

Oh well. I still want to do something about this. I interest to see what kind of responses my elected reps will get.

Lance, I see at the bottom of those tracking links "Please contact DHL"

Who is supposed to contact DHL and why? Do you know?

After about a month of sitting there and not being delivered, the DHL system automatically switches over to "Please contact DHL." It's just a general status. Anyone can contact DHL but it's almost pointless unless you're the shipper or the receiver.

I've also written my representative and both of my senators. Feel free to plagiarize. (Now updated so you can copy the full links directly)

Hello,

In MONTH YEAR I applied for a K1 fiancee immigration visa for my fiancee, who is currently waiting in CITY, P.R.C. to rejoin me here in CITY, STATE. At the current processing pace I don't expect her to arrive safely in my arms until MONTH or MONTH YEAR.

At present, my petition is approved and has been forwarded by the National Visa Center (aka NVC) in New Hampshire to the US Consulate in Guangzhou, China (aka GUZ). NVC sends the documents to the GUZ Consulate via DHL international airmail. It is possible to track shipments going from the NVC to all of the US consulates around the world via the DHL tracking website. According to the DHL tracking system, it seems that GUZ is the *only* consulate with a two to three month delay in receiving and processing the applications from NVC; most other consulates take a week at most.

Listed below are four DHL tracking links for packages sent during early to late September from NVC to GUZ. The first link is a very small package that slipped right through to GUZ, while three heavier packages (typically containing visa applications) are still waiting to be delivered, up to two months, after being shipped.

http://www.dhl.com/publish/g0/en/eshipping/track.low.html?pageToInclude=RESULTS&type=fasttrack&AWB=9189308284&submit=Track
http://www.dhl.com/publish/g0/en/eshipping/track.low.html?pageToInclude=RESULTS&type=fasttrack&AWB=9173140885&submit=Track
http://www.dhl.com/publish/g0/en/eshipping/track.low.html?pageToInclude=RESULTS&type=fasttrack&AWB=9174541810&submit=Track
http://www.dhl.com/publish/g0/en/eshipping/track.low.html?pageToInclude=RESULTS&type=fasttrack&AWB=9190670672&submit=Track

Why are these heavier application packages being selectively held up? I would like an official inquiry to find out what is causing the delays. An online comment by a GUZ consulate employee at the first link below insists that the holdup is due to a Chinese Customs issue. I don't believe this; I've shipped HOWMANY packages to China myself, and received HOWMANY packages of various size and content over the past HOWMANY years. In none of these cases did Chinese customs take longer than a few days to release the packages. The second link below demonstrates that this has been a chronic issue for the GUZ consulate. Please help me find out the cause of these unreasonable delays in my fiancee's visa process, so that they can begin to be addressed.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14580&st=0&p=175740entry175740
http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2821&st=0&p=28295entry28295

Kind Regards,

YOUR NAME

USCIS Case Receipt # ABC0000000000

National Visa Center Case # GUZ0000000000

Edited by neveroddoreven (see edit history)