Old wifes tales

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately, my wife doesn't believe in many tales, but there is one that has me confused.

She absolutely insists that she must stay inside the house for one month after she gives birth. Her idea is that if she goes out the wind could make her sick. The related one to this is that she isn't supposed to shower or bathe for that month either. Luckily, she isn't firm on the second part.

Hey, we did that¡­! The good part was that after a month you go out to a real nice restaurant with family or friends and celebrate the birth of your child¡­ your treat! :P :o

Andrew B)

p.s. The bath part is due to the type of birth she may have had ¨C cesarean or natual :)

The only thing to do is to start our own old wifes takes. 1. Don't wear bras in the house if the husband is home 2. Don't wear anything in the bed...............

You have got to be the most imtelegnet man on CFL. Glad you posted. What a great idea. Now if only I married a farm girl. I WILL use your ideas.

No bra does help prevent breast cancer supposedly. So the less she wears it. There have been studies. Somewhere I have some links.

Fresh air does kill mold and germs and maybe helps with dust mites. So good idea, but they go overboard.

One month in bed? My own Mom did that. Of course I was a bit large :blink:

My wife knows the superstitions but has always confronted those things logically and eleminated them one by one over the years she says. So I may get her to follow the recomandations but not by superstition. She will maybe for other LOGICAL reasons. :happydance:

When there is a death in someone's family, the other family members can't visit your house for a month. They will bring bad luck.

When my SO's youngest brother in law died while I was visiting I was told that the house could not be cleaned for 5 days. SO all of the ashes from the incense just piled up on the floor.

My SO says that a man is not to buy a woman a pair of shoes. This is the Chinese equivalent of giving your SO her walking papers.

I'll tell my Sam to buy me a pair of Nike B) :D

I had a chinese friend who had a baby and I was told to wait for a month before comming to see them . I have read with the bath thing after birth it was due to not having heat in the house and having to go to the public bathhouse. In the past many women would stay in bed for almost a month after having a child here in the states and in the era of no antibiotics it would make sense the need to limit exsposure to colds and the like of a newborn. So by being away from the public (going to a bath house ) for a while would be logical.

The first time we ate together at her place, she would put the food on the table and when it became time to eat, she would not let me drink water or anything else with my meal. She would not let me drink before and after for a little time. I told her I want my water and I would get it. Then she would take it from me and hide it. She said "no good for belly."

I had a chinese friend who had a baby and I was told to wait for a month before comming to see them . I have read with the bath thing after birth it was due to not having heat in the house and having to go to the public bathhouse. In the past many women would stay in bed for almost a month after having a child here in the states and in the era of no antibiotics it would make sense the need to limit exsposure to colds and the like of a newborn. So by being away from the public (going to a bath house ) for a while would be logical.

When I was born in the 50's this was the practice at that time. Relatives came to visit the new mother in her home and bring food, etc to tide the household over for that time period.

Of course now mom needs to take the baby and rush to Wal-mart to pick up whatever is on sale this week and swing by McD's on the way to introduce the newborn to its source of food for the next 20+ years. :D