Old wifes tales

"There are superstitions associated with chopsticks too. If you find an uneven pair at your table setting, it means you are going to miss a boat, plane or train. Dropping chopsticks will inevitably bring bad luck. Crossed chopsticks are, however, permissible in a dim sum restaurant. The waiter will cross them to show that your bill has been settled, or you can do the same to show the waiter that you have finished and are ready to pay the bill.

Never stick your chopsticks upright in the rice bowl, since that usually appears on the funeral and is deemed extremely impolite to the host and seniors present.

Don't tap on your bowl with your chopsticks, since that will be deemed insult to the host or the chef."

So when it is time to pay the bill, you lok it over, whether you can read it or not, then you TAP your rice bowl till the waiter comes over. Then Slam your sticks into the bowl of rice as if to indicate what you think of him, the bill, and the food. Just to see what happens next. :ph34r:

Anyone ever want to get into one of those CHinese street arguments where you see one guy trying to pull the other guy out of his car and all that yelling is going on?

Am I getting saner, yet?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give a man a green hat. It means that his wife is cheating on him.

One of the times I went to China for work it was in the winter ... in Changchun ... so I brought 2 stocking hats. Fortunately, the interpreter that was working with me told me not to wear the green hat and why.

Later, I told my SO (not wife yet) about the green hat and she was happy I didn't wear it, she said if any of her friends found out I wore a green hat she would be embarrassed.

Edited by MarkD (see edit history)

DO NOT give your father-in-law a watch, clock, or any other type of time piece for a gift...

it means your time will be limited on this blue planet, earth. :roller:

Andrew :roller:

You sure about that? I suggested to Ying I get her father a wind-up pocket watch as a gift when we recently went to China. She said it was a good gift and he (her father) loved it.

Don't give a man a green hat. It means that his wife is cheating on him.

One of the times I went to China for work it was in the winter ... in Changchun ... so I brought 2 stocking hats. Fortunately, the interpreter that was working with me told me not to wear the green hat and why.

Later, I told my SO (not wife yet) about the green hat and she was happy I didn't wear it, she said if any of her friends found out I wore a green hat she would be embarrassed.

Just be glad most of us are not currently in the military. There a green hat is a required clothing item in most services.

• 1 year later...

Here's a new one I heard from my wife yesterday...

DO NOT cut up a pear and pass it around to others... :unsure:

Only one person per pear if you cut it up...

Suppose to be bad luck... :ranting:

Have anyone of ya'll heard this...

Any others to report?

this is probably well known.. since the word for pear (li2) is the same tone as (li2) for depart, leave, separate... and used in divorce...

my wife's not such a literalist about this one.. while she won't share it with another person (since the spirit of the cross-word meaning concerns two people), she will cut one piece to give to a third and thwart the supersitition... :rolleyes:

Here's a new one I heard from my wife yesterday...

DO NOT cut up a pear and pass it around to others... :unsure:

Only one person per pear if you cut it up...

Suppose to be bad luck... :ranting:

Have anyone of ya'll heard this...

Any others to report?

this is probably well known.. since the word for pear (li2) is the same tone as (li2) for depart, leave, separate... and used in divorce...

my wife's not such a literalist about this one.. while she won't share it with another person (since the spirit of the cross-word meaning concerns two people), she will cut one piece to give to a third and thwart the supersitition... :rolleyes:

Uhmmmm! Maybe that's what she means....

U-know after 7 years of marriage we still sometimes get things confused or my misunderstanding the the Chinese words... such as the word "4" in english.

Is this what she meant?

Never... Never EVER wash your socks with her underwear! NEVER!!

:blink:

We went out and bought one of these high-efficiency, heavy duty washer and dryer¡­

Only to wash 6 loads each¡­ his, hers and baby.

Don¡¯t you EVER wash your clothes with the baby clothes or she/he will get every disease known to man. :D