Old wifes tales

We have tile floor in different parts of the house and my wife insists that we wear sandals while in these areas. When I questioned her about this she would say that if you don¡¯t your heart will be cold.

Now I have heard of a lot of BS growing up like ¡°don¡¯t step on a crack or you¡¯ll break your mother¡¯s back¡± and the one about not crossing a black cat¡¯s path because its bad luck.

I am curious to what some of our SO¡¯s are telling us that may be related to the ¡°old country¡±.

Please share these with me ¨C inquiring minds want to know. I have some more that I will post later.

Andrew B)

p.s. ¨C no Feng Shui items¡­ we will save this for another post!

Edited by Urkidding (see edit history)
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of what she tells me is health related... Such as, durring menstruation, women are not supposed to eat or even touch hot/cold things. I also hear about about Chinese Medicin related stuff, like "Don't drink cold water, it's bad for your health". Or, "Eating hot things makes you gain weight" (even hot water).

I hear a lot of Old Wives Tales... I'll have to think of some more... I hope other people will share.

A common

Tile floor is cold. Stepping on the cold floor, your feet feel cold and the cold is transmitted to your heart. My mother and grandparents believe in that thingie. I like cold stuff like coke, icecream, even in winter.

Tile floor is cold. Stepping on the cold floor, your feet feel cold and the cold is transmitted to your heart. My mother and grandparents believe in that thingie. I like cold stuff like coke, icecream, even in winter.

So it is okay to step on the floor during the hot summer days. :lol:

ALWAYS KEEP THE WINDOWS OPEN!!!! Even when it's snowing out, and windy, and the heat (if you are lucky) is on, keep the windows open. Or, in the summer, when it's 100 out, and the AC (if you are lucky) is open, keep them open. A teacher told me that this seems kind of strange, but this actually has a good reason. In the past, they would burn with coal. It was a problem with Carbon Monoxide. I have been told that now, people are afraid of gas leaks.

Even here, in Atlanta, in our new home, my wife wants to keep the sliding glass door open to "change the air".

ALWAYS KEEP THE WINDOWS OPEN!!!! Even when it's snowing out, and windy, and the heat (if you are lucky) is on, keep the windows open. Or, in the summer, when it's 100 out, and the AC (if you are lucky) is open, keep them open. A teacher told me that this seems kind of strange, but this actually has a good reason. In the past, they would burn with coal. It was a problem with Carbon Monoxide. I have been told that now, people are afraid of gas leaks.

Even here, in Atlanta, in our new home, my wife wants to keep the sliding glass door open to "change the air".

I think there is alot of us here that have to deal with that situation. It's been the catalyst of many disagreements in my household. But I try to look at the good side of it (if there really is one) and think of the savings in the utility bill.

...and how about the hand washed clothing method? I still remember a thread where we talked about this and someone said, (i think it was se_lang), "that cardboard consistency."...:lol:...how true!

My wife said the clothes need to be in the sun to kill "bad things."

I don't disagree with that at all BUT, it didn't take her long to convert over to the washer & dryer!

I guess the moral of this story is, "convenience is king!"...:king:

Edited by tywy_99 (see edit history)

Ha! Yeah, my wife still doesn't like the Washer and Dryer. When she can, she washes by hand and hangs it outside... When it pours rain while we are out, I do have a feeling of vindication!

She also says that underwear must be washed by hand, that the machine is too dirty.

Don't sit on the bed with street clothes on. It's ok if you've never been out in the clothes you have on, but if you've been out - STAY OFF THE BED!

She is right - during the time of SARS :ph34r:

I told this in another thread, but maybe somebody did not see it.

You must not turn a fish over when you are eating it. First you eat the meat from one side, then you remove the spine and bones then you eat the meat from the other side. But if you turn the fish over then you lose the luck or other good energy of that fish.

I was surprised when a superstition I learned from my mother kicked in for me one day and I could not help myself but when the baby got the salt shaker and was losing salt all over before we could take it away from him I felt compelled to gather some spilled salt grains and throw them over his shoulder to ward off any possible bad luck he might have incurred. Ping did not understand but she seemed to accept it.

She also says that underwear must be washed by hand, that the machine is too dirty.

Yuppers, we always have female dainties hanging about the bathroom. I have never seen the logic in washing them by hand and then hanging them in there. First, It takes water much hotter than the 105-110 temp that people can put their hands in to really kill all the germs-so they never really get them sterilized. More importantly, these delicate silky things are hanging around me when I uh, when I uh, uh, expel yesterdays meals. Now that has GOT TO BE unhealthy. I did, however, learn the hard way that TELLING wifey that she is wrong was not a good idea---ouchyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Yet another lesson in cultural diversity learned the hard way!!