Bringing back antique smoking pipes from China

Has anyone brought back antique Chinese smoking pipes or opium pipes from China?

If so I would imagine you should declare these on the customs declaration form. Has anyone any experience with bringing back antiques? Has there ever been any problems?

Be very careful about what you bring back

from a news article........

The DEA made a proud announcement this past week that it had snared 55 individuals in countrywide raids on businesses allegedly manufacturing, importing and selling bongs, pipes, scales and other varieties of "illegal drug paraphernalia."

Amidst all the "that's one for the good guys" back-slapping and alarmist rhetoric emanating from the various law-enforcement agencies involved, however, there was no mention of anything being done to physically curb the actual drug trade that enables the paraphernalia business to take in an estimated $50 million ( U.S. ) in the States annually.

Drug paraphernalia is illegal for import. You can try declaring "traditional Chinese pipes" or simply "antiques" (over 75 years old). If they are siezed be prepared for the lose. I would declare "folk crafts" and take the risk of being checked unless they are expensive.

Has anyone brought back antique Chinese smoking pipes or opium pipes from China?

If so I would imagine you should declare these on the customs declaration form. Has anyone any experience with bringing back antiques? Has there ever been any problems?

If these antique pipes were ever actually used for opium I would seriously reconsider bringing them into the US. Even after cleans there will be trace amounts of opium and this will cause you big problems with Customs and DEA.

If these antique pipes were ever actually used for opium I would seriously reconsider bringing them into the US. Even after cleans there will be trace amounts of opium and this will cause you big problems with Customs and DEA.

To add a bit to what Rakkasan posted. I don't believe there should be much of a residue problem, since Opium is a biological substance that breaks down over time. Not unless you recently ¡°popped¡± into an opium den. Then I would worry.

The largest worry that I would have is:

1) Chinese customs and shipping antiquities out of China. This is a definite no-no, past 200 years I believe.

2) US Customs, and they see the pipes. They may construe them a drug paraphernalia or deem them as antiques. To me seems like a ¡°crap shoot!¡±

A small suggestion is to visit with a local import/export store in Chinese antiques. You probably will get a more up-to-date answer there!

Dave