Wife must return to China for Job Issues?

Greetings All:

We're still waiting for our interview date for the AOS. Nothing new there - hurry up & wait.

However, a new issue has now reared its head. My wife's former company in China (a Chinese government entity) has made some changes in the way they do business - and to be honest - it's not all clear to me. But here's the way I understand it:

My wife had worked for the same company for over 20 years. She will be entitled to retirement benefits after age 50, which is still a few years away. She is telling me that, unless she can convince the company to allow her sister or other family member to sign the appropriate documents, she (my wife) will be required to appear in person to take care of it. And it's not really the money that she might get - it's really not much by American standards. But it's all about the paperwork and having her records "kept intact". If they don't, it will be as if she (my wife) never existed. Has this ever come up in any forums or discussions? Is this something that is inherent in all jobs in China?

We are in the early stages of buying a home and all our finances are pretty much tied up in making the purchase. So laying out money for an airline ticket plus having her missing work for two weeks - assuming the company she now works for will hold her job - is going to make it tough.

I'm not sure if I've made this as clear as I can, but I really don't completely get it.

Any help or insight will be helpful.

Thanks!!!

Fred

Greetings All:

We're still waiting for our interview date for the AOS. Nothing new there - hurry up & wait.

However, a new issue has now reared its head. My wife's former company in China (a Chinese government entity) has made some changes in the way they do business - and to be honest - it's not all clear to me. But here's the way I understand it:

My wife had worked for the same company for over 20 years. She will be entitled to retirement benefits after age 50, which is still a few years away. She is telling me that, unless she can convince the company to allow her sister or other family member to sign the appropriate documents, she (my wife) will be required to appear in person to take care of it. And it's not really the money that she might get - it's really not much by American standards. But it's all about the paperwork and having her records "kept intact". If they don't, it will be as if she (my wife) never existed. Has this ever come up in any forums or discussions? Is this something that is inherent in all jobs in China?

We are in the early stages of buying a home and all our finances are pretty much tied up in making the purchase. So laying out money for an airline ticket plus having her missing work for two weeks - assuming the company she now works for will hold her job - is going to make it tough.

I'm not sure if I've made this as clear as I can, but I really don't completely get it.

Any help or insight will be helpful.

Thanks!!!

Fred

We had an issue that maybe something like it but I'm not sure if was a company or a Chinese gov thing. Anyway, wifey had been here over two years and wanted to visit china to see her family AND said she had to do something about here retirement in china. i think she needed to give them some bucks so she would get her retirement at age 55. it wasn't Worth me asking much more about cuz it was only pennies involved--certainly not enough to justify the expense of a China trip but she was going anyway. She had talked about the retirement thing 2 years ago so apparently is was nothing that needed to be done ASAP.

dunno if this helps?

My wife worked for a govt company there and has been trying to get some money refunded. Her parents went to the compny and tried to get it but they said they needed a copy of her permate green card. Later they took a copy of that, and they said she needed to be a USC.

If you are going to get a Chinese pension, you probably cannot become a USC. You may have to go to a consulate here and get a paper saying you are still alive and not a USC.

Hardly seems worth the trouble.