I-864 question

I am a little confused...

On the I-864, Part 5. Sponsor's household size, if I read it right it will make us a family of 3, but it will be just my wife and I. It says:

21. Your Household Size - DO NOT COUNT ANYONE TWICE

Persons you are sponsoring in this affidavit:

a. Enter the number you entered on line 10. [0] [1]

Persons NOT sponsored in this affidavit:

b. Yourself. [1]

c. if you are currently married, enter "1" for your spouse. [1]

Well that adds up to 3... but it's counting my wife twice, and it states not to do that which is obvious. What isn't obvious is: which one to check and which one not to check (a. or c.)?

I was hoping someone with experience could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

I am a little confused...

On the I-864, Part 5. Sponsor's household size, if I read it right it will make us a family of 3, but it will be just my wife and I. It says:

21. Your Household Size - DO NOT COUNT ANYONE TWICE

Persons you are sponsoring in this affidavit:

a. Enter the number you entered on line 10. [0] [1]

Persons NOT sponsored in this affidavit:

b. Yourself. [1]

c. if you are currently married, enter "1" for your spouse. [1]

Well that adds up to 3... but it's counting my wife twice, and it states not to do that which is obvious. What isn't obvious is: which one to check and which one not to check (a. or c.)?

I was hoping someone with experience could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

You check A as your wife is being sponsored with this Affidavit.

You check B as this counts you, then add the two up.

Comes to 2.

Yes, you are married, but you already had to count your wife in A.

So leave C blank. If you left A blank, then they would read that your are not sponsoring anyone and discount the form.

The form warns that a person might fall into multiple catagories. You must place her in the best one that fits this set of circumstances.

The wording can be a bit confusing, but this form serves many purposes such as sponsoring a son, daughter, or perhaps adopting a child, so the spouse box is for those situations. In your case you are sponsoring your spouse, so leave the spouse box blank and place 1 on for persons sponsoring. So the count is 2 not 3. you spouse cannot be counted twice.

Thanks a lot guys! Makes sense to me. :thank_you_so_much: