Tax Returns?

If anyone has any information about this it would be greatly appreciated.

My friend went throught this process last year and said that the Affidavit of Support requiered tax returns. I looked and it said nothing about that, so I had him look and he said they must have changed it. My lady said that she heard back from someone on a chinese website that she was rejected for not having 5 years worth of tax info. So I figure better safe than sorry and expect I will need it by GUZ at least, so my question is this:

Do I need actual copies of the

1) original papers like W2s,

2) the tax account transcripts, or

3) the tax return transcripts

IRS Topic 156 - Copy of Your Tax Return ¨C How to Get One

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html

Also, my friend said I only need federal... is that right?

Thanks in advance

-Sy

It's always been an understanding to include 3 years in returns with the I-134 even though the I-134 techically doesn't call for them except in self-empoyed cases.

I guess the 3 year exception comes from the I-864 affidavit rules which 3 years is mandatory.

So, I would include 3 years worth and that is only copies of your 1040. No w2 copies needed unless you want to include them.

It is also acceptable to provide tax transcripts also available from the IRS for free, they provide all the information that they require. http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

This is great stuff! I just called them as I was reading this (10:00pm EST) and someone actually answered the phone - that is, after playing the 'push all the buttons' game - and was truly very helpful. He is sending my transcripts for the last 3 years... 5-10 business days.

But even better, he told me to call back tomorrow and ask them to FAX them to me (no FAX at home) at work & they would. Said people call all the time for INS purposes and the FAXed Transcripts are fine for this purpose.

Thanks for the great info and link!!

It's always been an understanding to include 3 years in returns with the I-134 even though the I-134 techically doesn't call for them except in self-empoyed cases.

I guess the 3 year exception comes from the I-864 affidavit rules which 3 years is mandatory.

So, I would include 3 years worth and that is only copies of your 1040. No w2 copies needed unless you want to include them.

I-864 only recent year mandatory, years 2 and 3 are optional as said in the instructions in section 25. also, state returns not needed.

If anyone has any information about this it would be greatly appreciated.

My friend went throught this process last year and said that the Affidavit of Support requiered tax returns. I looked and it said nothing about that, so I had him look and he said they must have changed it. My lady said that she heard back from someone on a chinese website that she was rejected for not having 5 years worth of tax info. So I figure better safe than sorry and expect I will need it by GUZ at least, so my question is this:

Do I need actual copies of the

1) original papers like W2s,

2) the tax account transcripts, or

3) the tax return transcripts

IRS Topic 156 - Copy of Your Tax Return ¨C How to Get One

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html

Also, my friend said I only need federal... is that right?

Thanks in advance

-Sy

I provided SO with 3 years of tax returns with I-134 and it was one of the few things that GUZ took from my SO at his interview. In actuality the things they took were strange, they took 1-134 info, a picture of me with his family and a report card from my Chinese language class .. this is in addition to the standard stuff