What happens at NVC?

This is my Post 1000 - so I might as well ask a question. :lol:

I know I've read this many times before, but it didn't mean much to me then, and now it does. What happens when USCIS sends the package to NVC? How long is it there? What do they do at NVC? How and when can I track it? Thanks! Ron :blink:

Here ya go!

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1309.html

Give it about 3 weeks then call about once a week at their no-toll-free number and inquire about it.

Once they say they have mailed it then ask for the GUZ number and the date it was mailed to the consulate.

The NVC.......they're scary people!

K visas don't usually stay at NVC more than ten days but it takes a week or two to get there and logged in. You can call NVC this week, give them your case number and ask for a status. Check my timeline as an example of dates.

Thanks! I'll try calling toward the end of the week. Do they do anything there besides logging the case in and sending it to Gz, i.e. name checks, gathering information, etc.?

The NVC¡¯s initial processing of cases includes entering the receipt numbers and petition information into the NVC database, initiating an in-house FBI name check, and assigning a case number (ie: GUZ#).

I-129F, K1 & K3 cases:

The I-129F petition goes through an ¡®expedited review¡¯. Most K# cases complete their processing within 10 days, unless additional security checks are required.

These cases undergoes brief processing which includes a security check via the FBI¡¯s NCIC system (National Crime Information Center) in Clarksburg, WV. Cases that face some delay are usually due to security checks. In some rare instances, if a ¡°hit¡± is returned, a fingerprint request may be made. K# cases are sent electronically to the consulate, as well the physical file is sent but may take up to a month to be received and entered into the consulate computer.

NVC will send a notice to the petitioner stating that NVC has completed processing and they expect the case to be forwarded to the consulate in a week. A second notices may be sent stating the case has been transferred to the consulate. The case is transferred electronically and physically. The consulate will have enough information on the electronic file to initiate their own security checks.

At times, you may see someone make reference to a P2.5. This is a reference to the notice from NVC of the case being sent to the consulate.

----

I'm an advocate for giving it a break at NVC... wait about three weeks after it's sent out from USCIS and see if you get a notice from NVC.. if not, give them a call to check on the status. It should go through NVC so quickly that its a slam dunk of the process...

what is the difference between the K# visa and the CR/IR processing at the NVC?

2 to 6 months longr for CR/IR and several steps that involve the petitioner and beneficiary submitting more forms and paying more fees.

You already have the shortcuts for CR. For K, the petitioner and beneficiary do nothing. The case is logged in, an FBI namecheck is completed in a day or two and the case is usuallly shipped to guz within a week of receipt by NVC.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

Perhaps things have changed at NVC but when our petition was there we never recieved any notice that it had cleared and been sent to GZ. It took about two weeks to get entered into the system and 2 weeks after that it cleared. Wait two weeks and call then call once a week. 603 334 0700. They will ask you for your 13 digit service center number and her birthdate. It it's in the system they can give you her GUZ number as well.

2 to 6 months longr for CR/IR and several steps that involve the petitioner and beneficiary submitting more forms and paying more fees.

You already have the shortcuts for CR. For K, the petitioner and beneficiary do nothing. The case is logged in, an FBI namecheck is completed in a day or two and the case is usuallly shipped to guz within a week of receipt by NVC.

Thanks Mike, you are right, I do know the shortcut for CR1. I hope to be ready. I'm aware of the quickness of the K1 from experience... I was simply curious what caused the big difference in time. I know there is much more riding on the Immiigration Visa.

Thanks Mike, you are right, I do know the shortcut for CR1. I hope to be ready. I'm aware of the quickness of the K1 from experience... I was simply curious what caused the big difference in time. I know there is much more riding on the Immiigration Visa.

The CR visas go through several more steps at NVC. You've already looked at the steps and can compare them to your previous experience with K1 visa.

Probably the source of the difference is that CR1 interviews are really doubling as consular adjustment interviews; whereas a K# will adjust status in the US. SO NVC takes care of the preparation for the consular adjustment process (collects visa fee, visa application, biometric fee, etc).