CONSULAR RED FLAGS

Hello All!

I know that the consulate will throw red flags when it comes to evolution of relationship, especially when the relationship begins with a short courtship, followed by marriage on the first meeting. I fall under this category and would like to know if anyone out there also share the same experience and those whose SO passed the interview. Here's the story.

I met my wife online via Asian Friend Finder in July 2005. I am also Asian, with Chinese, Thai and German ethnicities. I have been through one bad relationship to another, often detiorating due to my filial ways and wanting to start a family. I believe we, as Americans, have become selfish and place emphasis to career and material things. I have always been taught by my parents that family is priority over everything. I guess I'm just old fashioned for a 36-year old (SO is 31).

Anyway, I formed a bond via lengthly emails with my future wife, and we both shared simple goals of having children and taking care of our loved ones. As the weeks and months wore on, we both decided that we were a match and the relationship grew serious. After a few months we made the decision to get married inNov. 2005 and planned a Feb. 2006 wedding. To make a long story short, everthing went as planned and beyond my expectations. The love that I received from her family members was sublime, and we spent a glorious honeymoon in Beijing (she lives in Guangdong Province, Jiangmen City). I have since been back for two weeks in May and June of this year, and I plan to be there to offerr support during her interview.

We are truly in love, chatting IM everyday and talking on the phone 3 times a week. She is attending English classes, so our verbal communication is limited, but she is studying dilligently.

Currently we are applying for a K-3 and the I-129F is in preliminary processing, which gives us plenty of time to prepare. In the meantime, I am collecting all evidence ie.ticket stubs, emails, IM Logs, phone bills, etc. I have read threads of CFL'ers preparing a video of couples communicating. Does anyone suggest my SO and I have one made because of the short courtship and marriage on the first meet, not to mention not sharing a common language. Are there any couples out there who lived this experience and got a blue slip and had to make a videotape? Any support would help. Thanks everyone.

Best Regards,

James and Mengwei

it happened to me.... had to do a letter explaining the evolution of our relationship, video of us talking and a couple of other minor things... of course this meant taking an unscheduled trip there... the upside being I got to be with her again....

you are doing all the right things.... read my recent post

best wishes....

Hank

James,

I don't think that you two lovebirds have anything to worry about. Our relationship consumated in marriage faster than yours and we didn't have any problems getting a visa. I did write a letter detailing the evolution of our relationship which my wife put into the P4 that went to GUZ. She was not asked for any additonal evidence and was quickly granted a pink slip.

Good Luck!

ps Did you mean to say that you filed a I-130? An I-129F is a fiance visa.

Guest pushbrk

Currently we are applying for a K-3 and the I-129F is in preliminary processing, which gives us plenty of time to prepare. In the meantime, I am collecting all evidence ie.ticket stubs, emails, IM Logs, phone bills, etc. I have read threads of CFL'ers preparing a video of couples communicating. Does anyone suggest my SO and I have one made because of the short courtship and marriage on the first meet, not to mention not sharing a common language. Are there any couples out there who lived this experience and got a blue slip and had to make a videotape? Any support would help. Thanks everyone.

Best Regards,

James and Mengwei

Since you will be there again before or during interview time, yes I would have a video made. You might not need it but if your wife shows it on the counter (It can be a CD.) labeled "Communication Video" the VO will know you are prepared to prove communication.

Our situation was similar. We actually married within 60 days of our first emails. My wife was prepared to greet the VO in English, present a confident demeanor and answer questions in English. The VO beat her to a greeting in Chinese to which she automatically replied in Chinese. He asked if she spoke English. She anwered "a little". Does your husband speak Chinese? A little. He then asked to see financials, and pictures and granted the visa. This VO's description matched that of the young American man Jim Julian talked to, who said he was the current "USCONGUZ" member here at CFL. I don't know if it was him but he would know me well from my participation here. I think preparation and confidence are key factors but there are no guarantees.

Participation here provided the means for 90% of our preparation.

James,

I don't think that you two lovebirds have anything to worry about. Our relationship consumated in marriage faster than yours and we didn't have any problems getting a visa. I did write a letter detailing the evolution of our relationship which my wife put into the P4 that went to GUZ. She was not asked for any additonal evidence and was quickly granted a pink slip.

Good Luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the support. All you people are wonderful. For the K-3, both the I-130 and I-129F have to be filed.

Guest pushbrk

James,

Good Luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the support. All you people are wonderful. For the K-3, both the I-130 and I-129F have to be filed.

That is correct. You might want to pay close attention to your CR1/I-130 petition though. Because of IMBRA, those seem to progress more quickly than the K3 in the initial stages. You may well benefit from both cases arriving in GUZ at the same time. Then your scheduled K3 interview CAN become a CR1 interview resulting in a CR1 at K3 speed. All K's are slower now. The question is how much slower. GUZ has not yet granted any post IMBRA K visas.

My wife and I married in November, 2003 after a short courtship. The interview lasted all of three minutes and she picked up the visa the next day.

Was your wife confident enough to answer questions in English. My wife is worried and terrified at this scenario. Her English skills are limited; she understands more English than she can speak. I keep reassuring her that we will prepared and that I will be there waiting outside the Consulate building supporting her. She just needs a boost in confidence. I keep telling her not to worry, that her English skills will improve with the classes she is attending and, of course, as you all have experienced; TIME!

Thanks again for all your support!

James,

This is our 2 year anniversary of knowing each other. We were both already separated and I had already formaly filed for divorce.

Met on AFF Sept., 2004 :wub:

Divorces Final Nov. 2004 :lol:

Met & Married Dec. 2004 :wub:

Visa Aug. 2006 :redblob:

So I don't think that a short courtship in itself is a Red Flag.

James,

Good Luck!

Hi,

That is correct. You might want to pay close attention to your CR1/I-130 petition though. Because of IMBRA, those seem to progress more quickly than the K3 in the initial stages. You may well benefit from both cases arriving in GUZ at the same time. Then your scheduled K3 interview CAN become a CR1 interview resulting in a CR1 at K3 speed. All K's are slower now. The question is how much slower. GUZ has not yet granted any post IMBRA K visas.

I received the I-130 NOA2 on Aug 28. Looks like it will arrive before the I-129F. What are the pros and cons of CR-1 as apposed to K-3? Thank you!

James,

This is our 2 year anniversary of knowing each other. We were both already separated and I had already formaly filed for divorce.

Divorces Final Nov. 2004 :lol:

How about communication? Was she able to answer questions in English?

James,

Divorces Final Nov. 2004 :)

How about communication? Was she able to answer questions in English?

She was given the option of Chinese or English and told the VO that she wanted to try English. Only 3 questions. When asked about email, she pushed over the emails AND phone logs AND photos.

I did tell my wife that if the question is complex to her OR if the answer is such that she can not fully understand or express in English then to tell the VO that and then ask for the question in Chinese or tell them they must answer the question in Chinese.

Your putting good thought into your specific situation and asking the right questions... separating out what will really be applicable from one case to yours is really difficult since no two cases are exactly the same; no two VOs are exactly the same.

I know that the consulate will throw red flags when it comes to evolution of relationship, especially when the relationship begins with a short courtship, followed by marriage on the first meeting.

On it's own, this probably has very small grounds for a red flag, but is just one issue of many that are looked at... and so in combination with other factors, it may (or may not) be an issue.

The bigger concern is proof of an ongoing relationship (however long the pre-martial relationship). Essentially, what are you doing to establish a bona-fide relationship exists and what proof can you both provide during the process (since it's almost too late to attempt to prove it at the interview; you'll be given a chance to prove it further via a denial and overcome).

I have since been back for two weeks in May and June of this year, and I plan to be there to offerr support during her interview.

In my book, number of visits ranks high as solid proof of your investing time and money to build the relationship. My personal opinion is that if you can get the visits to 3-4, there should be no reason for questioning on the fundamental level.

Making a video due to short courtship and marriage on a first visit is immaterial.. it's only material if you don't share a common language and the VO questions the relationship. We have been told they will not accept the video at the interview; it must be given only if requested at overcome. But you can prepare one if you want, or wait to see if they request it.

My wife could not speak enough english to do the interview, so we rehearsed times for her to use a small amount of english... but she was not asked for any documents nor pictures. I had enough brownie points I guess.

Side issue to visits, communication / language, financials and documentation would include:

- Previous marriages by either side

- Communist party member or not

- The brownie points you can accumulate prior to the interview; Remember, that for most of us, this is 8-12 months of time... (I think this would include some items like well timed calls to DOS or emails to the consulate showing participation in the process; I think that about 3-4 of each is sufficient. I don't think that sheer volume (quantity) means as much as the quality of the proof. Do everything thoughtful as if towards proof.

- If you are old fashioned in a way... maybe you'll write some hand written letters to her she can take to the interview as well...