• 2 weeks later...

I ran across this today. It helps define things like close ties for visas for visiting family members

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/denials/denials_1361.html

Nice link Carl

I's funny how in the US you are presumed innocent until proven guilty, but we treat possible visitors to the US as guilty until proven innocent.

"Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status..."

or in other words:

"Sure, you can apply to come and visit the wonderful US of A. As long as you know and accept the fact that we will assume you have criminal intentions unless you can prove it to us that your case is the exception."

That's gotta leave a bad taste in your mouth!!!

Edited by cosmiclobster (see edit history)

I ran across this today. It helps define things like close ties for visas for visiting family members

Nice link Carl

I's funny how in the US you are presumed innocent until proven guilty, but we treat possible visitors to the US as guilty until proven innocent.

"Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status..."

or in other words:

"Sure, you can apply to come and visit the wonderful US of A. As long as you know and accept the fact that we will assume you have criminal intentions unless you can prove it to us that your case is the exception."

That's gotta leave a bad taste in your mouth!!!

My thoughts exactly. The nail has been hit on the head. But guilty until proven innocent only applies to the ones who are trying to get here legally. The ones that walked across the border are just the opposite, innocent and provided benefits until proven innocent again.

The VO is also given a tremendous amount of power and authority.

Immigration law delegates the responsibility for issuance or refusal of visas to consular officers overseas. They have the final say on all visa cases

It would seem reasonable to have more checks and balances. JMO :D

The VO is also given a tremendous amount of power and authority.

Immigration law delegates the responsibility for issuance or refusal of visas to consular officers overseas. They have the final say on all visa cases

It would seem reasonable to have more checks and balances. JMO :P

I must agree wholeheartedly. Too many innocent people are getting railroaded. I certainly agree that there sould be tight controls. Checks and balances would be great.

Nice link Carl

Without further thought, the concept sounds bad. However, I would encourage you to give it further thought. For instance, if the applicants were not considered to have immigrant intent until they demonstrate compelling reasons to return abroad, just what would the likely result be?

Remember, once a visitor is IN the US, unlike China, we do not require them to register with local authorities. We do not control them or seek them out to be certain they return. The result would be a whole lot more illegal immigrants, many of whom we would be supporting with our tax dollars or using tax dollars to prosecute and deport. It's better to screen ahead of time.

Presumption of innocence has context. The context is within the legal system and only when accused of a crime. When's the last time you tried to drive your personal vehicle onto a US Military base without prior invitation or approval? :P

I am amazed at how much the VO can do in a 30 second interview!

If the Chinese govt would take back the Chinese illegals that we have detained, things might get easier. Meanwhile the so called Americans who hire and shelter illegals are probably the biggest cause of the visa problems that we have.

Think how much better our country would be if no one hired illegals or used drugs........but Americans don't seem to care much about anything any more.