Question about emails as evidence

I had a question about the emails as evidence. In the emails with my SO and I, I address him by his casual English name instead of his pinyin English name. This is the name that he just made up for himself, nothing official on his documents. However, in the forms and documents, he uses his official pinyin English name for the signatures and everything. I was thinking when he comes to the US, we then can change his English name to an official one when going through the naturalization/citizenship. My concern is that the VO/immigration officers might get confused not knowing who my emails address to. Should I just write an additional short explanation and put it in the same place with the emails as evidence? What should I do? Has anyone else ever encountered this problem before? Thanks.

I had a question about the emails as evidence. In the emails with my SO and I, I address him by his casual English name instead of his pinyin English name. This is the name that he just made up for himself, nothing official on his documents. However, in the forms and documents, he uses his official pinyin English name for the signatures and everything. I was thinking when he comes to the US, we then can change his English name to an official one when going through the naturalization/citizenship. My concern is that the VO/immigration officers might get confused not knowing who my emails address to. Should I just write an additional short explanation and put it in the same place with the emails as evidence? What should I do? Has anyone else ever encountered this problem before? Thanks.

In our case, we wrote a short explanation and placed it as the first page of the e-mail collection. We sometimes call each other Husband and Wife and did not want anyone to assume we were already married.

Don't worry about it. Immigration encounters this all the time. Emails are rarely actually gone through but do add to the amount of evidence presented which display an ongoing relationship. They usually will contain confirmation of key events and follow up such as a China trip which confirms the event and who the parties are. There is no proof of who actually wrote the emails anyway. Pictures, letters from friends and relatives, videos and records of travel together such as tickets and hotel receipts are actual proof. If you wish to include what you call each other in the letter explaining the evolution of your relationship then do so.

There are continuing debates about what evidence is important. Pictures together and with family members as well as documentation of ongoing communication are regarded as critical. Telephone logs are often presented which can be generated from your phone or his if you call a cell number. I'm not sure what record he may have of incoming calls with a land line.

Guest pushbrk

Try exchanging letters and holiday cards thru regular mail. They are better evidence than emails.

While it is true that post marks and actuall addresses go further to "prove" exactly which two people are communicating, holiday cards don't amount to much "communication" because there just aren't enough holidays in a visa cycle. (Some have had way too many holidays in their visa cycle but that's another story.)

If the SO has a truckload of emails to "Mary" and a couple cards also addressed to "Mary" that sure ties things together well.

We had a similar issue with emails, so we mostly used Yahoo Messenger logs. I made sure our real names showed on the text of those. As for the emails, I printed out he profile with picture from the website where we met, to show who "Sherry" was, even though early in our relationship she decided she would not keep that or take any other "English" name.

Try exchanging letters and holiday cards thru regular mail. They are better evidence than emails.

While it is true that post marks and actuall addresses go further to "prove" exactly which two people are communicating, holiday cards don't amount to much "communication" because there just aren't enough holidays in a visa cycle. (Some have had way too many holidays in their visa cycle but that's another story.)

If the SO has a truckload of emails to "Mary" and a couple cards also addressed to "Mary" that sure ties things together well.

We had a similar issue with emails, so we mostly used Yahoo Messenger logs. I made sure our real names showed on the text of those. As for the emails, I printed out he profile with picture from the website where we met, to show who "Sherry" was, even though early in our relationship she decided she would not keep that or take any other "English" name.

Tony's idea is based on establishing a relationship through a different kind of effort... yours is based on volume.. Tony's not talking of volume.. there's a subtle difference... it's not apples and apples. And I'm not convinced that volume really matters... people often talk of having 1000 emails and 10,000 hours logged in chats... Effort matters, but there's a subtle 'less is more' in this example.

Traditionally, the VOs held in higher regard hand written letters.. maybe a fall back to pre-electronic age... but I do think there is something subtle in sending snail mail and cards as Tony suggests; It shows a little more "effort" to get a letter, fill it out, mail it off, etc... than to sit snuggly at a computer and just type. I recalled one VO who stated that one the thing hard to disprove is EFFORT... I don't think they look at sitting down 1000 times at a computer as much effort in the same way as taking the time to deliver a card... one will sit down a 1000 times at a computer to check email anyway.. nothing new in that.

I'm just saying that Tony's angle is simply different from the 'volume' approach that most are thinking about.

Something else to consider.....

Be sure to read your e-mails and edit out any letters that do not convey the love and emotion you have for one-another. I know there were times my SO and I discussed matters that I would not consider good reading by the VO.

Scott

Be careful about editing out. Remember they spend minutes not hours looking at your materials. It would be unfortunate to need further evidence because the only two the VO looked at mentioned something that was missing a third between the two that appears suspicious.

Volume is good for giving tthe impression you are ready for anything. A glance shows there is quantity. Quality of relationship should be evident in the few things they actually look at. Remember pictures and video with voice are much more convincing than tons of emails you may have planned for the interview.

Guest pushbrk

Tony's idea is based on establishing a relationship through a different kind of effort... yours is based on volume.. Tony's not talking of volume.. there's a subtle difference... it's not apples and apples. And I'm not convinced that volume really matters... people often talk of having 1000 emails and 10,000 hours logged in chats... Effort matters, but there's a subtle 'less is more' in this example.

Traditionally, the VOs held in higher regard hand written letters.. maybe a fall back to pre-electronic age... but I do think there is something subtle in sending snail mail and cards as Tony suggests; It shows a little more "effort" to get a letter, fill it out, mail it off, etc... than to sit snuggly at a computer and just type. I recalled one VO who stated that one the thing hard to disprove is EFFORT... I don't think they look at sitting down 1000 times at a computer as much effort in the same way as taking the time to deliver a card... one will sit down a 1000 times at a computer to check email anyway.. nothing new in that.

I'm just saying that Tony's angle is simply different from the 'volume' approach that most are thinking about.

I agree. I think both are good and that the apples that keep doctor blue slip away are the ones that are eaten "every day". Oranges good vitamin C and we need both. Such documentation is to assist in proving an ongoing relationship through ongoing communication. A few oranges may not be enough by themselves, so better prove you ate those daily apples too This can be done with email, chat and phone logs and some examples spread over time. There is no need to bring every apple core but a few envelopes will show you had both apples and oranges in your communication diet. Oranges prove WHO wrote who. The added multiple indications of apple eating keep Dr. Blue slip away. :)

In a 20 minute or less interview, presentation and image are everything. That's why I advocate the 3 part, 5 foot tall, hinged backdrop. :)

What they may pull as a random selection out of a stack of emails should present a good picture. Volume can be indicated by a log of dates and times. What you keep handy in your kitchen sink is another issue - you are limited only by what you care to carry.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

In a 20 minute or less interview, presentation and image are everything. That's why I advocate the 3 part, 5 foot tall, hinged backdrop. <_<

What they may pull as a random selection out of a stack of emails should present a good picture. Volume can be indicated by a log of dates and times. What you keep handy in your kitchen sink is another issue - you are limited only by what you care to carry.

I don't buy the use of email as evidence at all.

How hard is it to fake emails? EXTREMELY easy. How hard is it to fake hand written letters dated and posted marked? MUCH more difficult.

I can wait until the week before the P3 is sent off to churn out 50 emails back dating it. I certainly can't do that with hand written letters and proper postmarks on the envelopes.

Personally, I don't even write emails much anymore. In this day of Skype, webcam and cell phones, talking is about all that I do. I have not written a snail mail letter--although I personally think that's the best evidence--and I rarely write email of significance. Everything is done through Skype or Jajah. (BTW, have you guys heard of Jajah.com? Free telephone calls to China). So I really don't have much of a trail. I'm NOT suggesting others do as I am doing. But I think I'm fine. I am not concerned about evidence of our genuine relationship.

Guest pushbrk

In a 20 minute or less interview, presentation and image are everything. That's why I advocate the 3 part, 5 foot tall, hinged backdrop. <_<

I don't buy the use of email as evidence at all.

How hard is it to fake emails? EXTREMELY easy. How hard is it to fake hand written letters dated and posted marked? MUCH more difficult.

I can wait until the week before the P3 is sent off to churn out 50 emails back dating it. I certainly can't do that with hand written letters and proper postmarks on the envelopes.

Personally, I don't even write emails much anymore. In this day of Skype, webcam and cell phones, talking is about all that I do. I have not written a snail mail letter--although I personally think that's the best evidence--and I rarely write email of significance. Everything is done through Skype or Jajah. (BTW, have you guys heard of Jajah.com? Free telephone calls to China). So I really don't have much of a trail. I'm NOT suggesting others do as I am doing. But I think I'm fine. I am not concerned about evidence of our genuine relationship.

Often the question is "How do you communicate?" The answer and the supporting material need to match. If you can supply logs of phone calls and internet chats, you're all set. If not, you have no proof of an ongoing relationship. Of course, emails can be faked.

I still write 3 snail mail's each week (84 cents air mail, and takes 8 days). I actually enjoy it as much as she does opening them up in front of each other on the web cam, it's like a mini birthday each week. I always include a couple of photos in each letter. She writes me 1 snail mail letter each week (.6-.8yuan air mail depending on weight) and also includes photos.

Web cam, chat logs and phone are nice, but touching a letter that she just wrote is the next best thing to being there. :rolleyes: