New debate - what would you choose??

[quote name='

I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything. :clapping:

239953[/snapback]

Yuan Fen regarding "I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything." whatever do you mean? Are you saying I do not appear to be the shy timid type :clapping:

239995[/snapback]

Toni get him! Get him!

I know Eric meant something by that remark but

what it was I'm not sure of.

Yes Eric "whatever do you mean?"

please explain we are all waiting to see how you

get out of this!

LOL

Just trying to help a fellow Tejas out there buddy

:)

Toni

Please be easy on Eric after all those folks in Big D

have had about 40 + days of 100f' date=' 40c+ days and im

sure his marbles are not working correctly.

Oh BTW Toni "congrats and good luck

Bobby....

[right']240061[/snapback][/right]

-----------------------End Quote---------------------------

This is my answer, and I am sticking to it! :clapping:

Really?

It was a compliment, actually.

Now,

Shy and timid?

Now tell me what kind of VPs roll like that. :clapping:

Maybe on the golf course. :clapping:

A VP is not a VP because they are

shy and timid in the boardroom.

240115[/snapback]

:lol: OK Yuan Fen .. Thanks .. Good Answer ha ha Sleepless I can't get him on this one ;)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you said that Lin doesn't really care about the decision as long as he is with you.  However, you might want to consider the following:

What does he want to be/do?

Will the new location contribute to his ambitions, i.e. availability of his career choice?

LA and NY = night and day, yin and yang, what is his choice of environment.

Youse guys will be married soon and after a while the euphoria of the honeymoon will wane.  He needs to think about his future in terms of more than just being with you, then between y'all you can make an educated decision.

All in all, congratulations to you both! :lol:

Steve

239969[/snapback]

Lin is going to go to school for a number of years .. He can do that in either state.

This should be entirely your decision without considering anyone elses opinion, you are a smart lady to be where you are and nobody knows your wants, desires and needs better than you.

Don't take this the wrong way but most people ask for opinions when they don't want to make a decision on their own for fear that they will make the wrong decision, You're too smart for that.

I retired in a home where in the winter we get 300 inches of snow almost every year, If I listened to all the unsolicited opinions of my coworkers, family and friends I would have went south and been miserable.

Remember whatever decision you make you will have to live with it not the people that helped you make it.

So the only advise I can give to you that would be responsible is to follow your heart and think with your brain and you will do the right thing.

240143[/snapback]

PB .. thank you very much for the sound advice. I will certainly make my own choice but sometimes when you hear other peoples opinions it helps you consider something you hadn't thought of yourself. For me the prospect of doubling my income is VERY exciting; therefore I am afraid I might not clearly see any pitfalls. As we all know .. when you move in your career .. even changing jobs and locations normally only gives you a 20-30% salary hike .. so double would take me perhaps 5-7 years at my level. To go from VP to SVP with double salary will require me to really push myself and deal with some difficult challenges that I haven't yet encountered so still contimplating. And ... if anyone is currently doing this type of work .. you KNOW how vicious the politics can be.

My first thought is the question of what your age is?  Don't asmwer or post here, but when younger I would say it is the time to make the bucks.  However, I am in the LA area right now in the tall Burbank Holiday Inn.  The weather is SOOOOO nice.  I actually like the environment in the office and I think my wife would like it here better.  Well, have a good decision.  Once you decide maybe pray and see if something comes to mind or confusion.  Just my method when really in a puzzle.

240235[/snapback]

:clapping: Age .. what????? huh???????? Do I look retirement age ..... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :lol: :) ;) Hint .... I graduated in 1998.......

I talked to Lin .. and we decided to go to New York for the interview. He really truely does not care if we move or do not move.. He also really does not care if I double my income or not. Im the greedy one :lol: Lin will arrive on 9/1 and we will be flying to NY on 9/7 until 9/10.. Yes I am already dragging him around the US. See .. you guys wondered why I choose a younger guy .. need one to keep up with me ;)

BUT :) I have to tell you this ...... it was sooooooooooooooo cool. My ex boss was so excited when I told him I wanted to come in for an interview .. he had the travel department call me today. Check this out!!! They are buying me AND Lin first class plane tickets .. asked if I prefered a Limo or a car rental (we took the rental .. I am NOT a glamor girl) are putting us in a 5 star SUITE of rooms !!!!! The way I see it .. me and Lin will be getting an all expensed paid mini honeymoon. They are also assigning us a person to show us the area take us to see corporate housing if we choose. I am going to decline that; don't want Lin to have to deal with business associates yet. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures from NY.

You need to ask yourself ...

Why is money no object?

What's the 3-5 year outlook for this new company?

Given perfomance is there reasonable job stability?

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

239830[/snapback]

I don't usallly do this - I think asking/giving personal advice on internet is just not a good idea - But -I will second Jim's advice and expand on Joanne's thought - you have no friends in business - if you think you do - watch out. Almost last comment - a VP should not be solicting professional advice from a internet board.

Last comment - I made adjustments to my professional life to insure that I would be home most nights after a 8-10 hour work day, that I would not be traveling on short notice - away from home 50+% of the time. I did it for us, not just her !!

You need to decide what is best for you and your family - we cannot do that.

Good luck and Best Wishes

You need to ask yourself ...

Why is money no object?

What's the 3-5 year outlook for this new company?

Given perfomance is there reasonable job stability?

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

239830[/snapback]

I don't usallly do this - I think asking/giving personal advice on internet is just not a good idea - But -I will second Jim's advice and expand on Joanne's thought - you have no friends in business - if you think you do - watch out. Almost last comment - a VP should not be solicting professional advice from a internet board.

Last comment - I made adjustments to my professional life to insure that I would be home most nights after a 8-10 hour work day, that I would not be traveling on short notice - away from home 50+% of the time. I did it for us, not just her !!

You need to decide what is best for you and your family - we cannot do that.

Good luck and Best Wishes

Thanks for your views Ed .. but I disagree with some things you say. A VP should not be soliciting advice from an internet board. As a VP I find it very informative to get opinions from many places and sources. The more information you have the better to make your own wise decision with. However, I do have to agree ..no such thing as a friend in business. My friend was a business associate while we worked togeather and then remained my friend for 2 years after we parted companies when we work togeather again it is once again business. I am curious why you would think that I would request that CFL make my decision for me.. I know I asked for opinions .... but that is a far cry from asking for a decision

I can only tell you what a manager once told me when I was starting out.

Sometimes you have to move.

Sometimes you have to sit tight.

The older you get, the easier it is to recognize the

conditions that will help you make the choice.

In my world, five years is about the time to make a decision.

My first thought is the question of what your age is?  Don't asmwer or post here, but when younger I would say it is the time to make the bucks.  However, I am in the LA area right now in the tall Burbank Holiday Inn.  The weather is SOOOOO nice.  I actually like the environment in the office and I think my wife would like it here better.  Well, have a good decision.  Once you decide maybe pray and see if something comes to mind or confusion.  Just my method when really in a puzzle.

240235[/snapback]

:o Age .. what????? huh???????? Do I look retirement age ..... :o :o :o :o :) :unsure: :unsure: Hint .... I graduated in 1998.......

HAHAHAHAHA, Sorry!!. Your gorgous and I almost mentioned that you look very young and like whats the dif? But I didn't take time as I posted just before rushing out for a group dinner. Your pics tell all. ;) Seems I stick my feet in my mouth similar with my wife sometimes. :ph34r:

I was just wondering when I posted if I think diferent now than when younger, but truth is, like an old friend recently told me, I am not happy unless I am traveling and doing different things with degrees of dificulty. After just getting back from LA and having a wonderful time in the office I wonder now if I would take a management position there now. Something I always wanted. Problem is the cost of the area as you mentioned and it does not pay what I make out here in the field, unless at a Director or VP level.

Glad to see you going for it. It may or may not work out in time, but you have to take risks to achieve. You will do OK no matter what you do, obviously.

On a side note, for the first time in my life I now understand why people move from the West to TX just to move back West again. This is one of those weird near record years of heat. It never bothered me before, but I had a wonderful time in CA this trip. And yes I took on the politics between two VPs to get the company focused on the market direction instead of........ If you know what your doing in that arena then keep climbing. ;) :D Does me good to read your enthusiasm here.

;)

240235[/snapback]

:lol: Age .. what????? huh???????? Do I look retirement age ..... :P :P :P ;) :greenblob: :coolthumb: :lol: Hint .... I graduated in 1998.......

HAHAHAHAHA, Sorry!!. Your gorgous and I almost mentioned that you look very young and like whats the dif? But I didn't take time as I posted just before rushing out for a group dinner. Your pics tell all. ;) Seems I stick my feet in my mouth similar with my wife sometimes. :lol:

I was just wondering when I posted if I think diferent now than when younger, but truth is, like an old friend recently told me, I am not happy unless I am traveling and doing different things with degrees of dificulty. After just getting back from LA and having a wonderful time in the office I wonder now if I would take a management position there now. Something I always wanted. Problem is the cost of the area as you mentioned and it does not pay what I make out here in the field, unless at a Director or VP level.

Glad to see you going for it. It may or may not work out in time, but you have to take risks to achieve. You will do OK no matter what you do, obviously.

On a side note, for the first time in my life I now understand why people move from the West to TX just to move back West again. This is one of those weird near record years of heat. It never bothered me before, but I had a wonderful time in CA this trip. And yes I took on the politics between two VPs to get the company focused on the market direction instead of........ If you know what your doing in that arena then keep climbing. ;) :D Does me good to read your enthusiasm here.

Awwwwwwwww thanks SheLikesME :-). I see you are practiced in correcting the foot in mouth thing .. telling a woman she is georgous ALWAYS works .. even if they know they are not ;) Thank you very much for the smile!!!

I can only tell you what a manager once told me when I was starting out.

Sometimes you have to move.

Sometimes you have to sit tight.

The older you get, the easier it is to recognize the

conditions that will help you make the choice.

In my world, five years is about the time to make a decision.

I think it is good advice. I loved my current job .. but in actuality there is a major war of seniors going on .. unfortunatly the ones who won are the ones with many years experience creating problems and Fing people not the ones with alot of experience resolving issues.. although I know how to play both games .. game 1 makes me sick and I rather move on where I can update my resume with REAL work. Sometimes I wish I could afford to move back to being a manager .. those were the good old days!!!!! Life was so much simplier. Anyway .. I recognize ... time to move .. if not to NY .. at least another CA company.

Awwwwwwwww thanks SheLikesME :-). I see you are practiced in correcting the foot in mouth thing .. telling a woman she is georgous ALWAYS works .. even if they know they are not :lol: Thank you very much for the smile!!!

Hmmm, well I felt I was telling the truth this time to be honest. :lol: Honest!!!! :lol:

I was even going to add some other smilies and talk all about it, just drop dead g..., but my wife might come in here, which she never does, but you know if she gets that strange feeling that she should or somthing. Well anyway........punt. now the other foot, hahahahaha. :greenblob:

Good luck with your visa, marriage, job, and all......... :coolthumb: YAAAHOOOOoo

I am doing the location thing now, though for where I live, my income is GREAT. However, in the f***ing great category mentioned by Jeikun, I would live anywhere. Even Texas or California (sorry Texans and Calis). Butit would have to be REALLY good, and well ahead of the cost of living for the area. The mid-long island area isnt going to be much different in cost than LA, so cost of living isnt a factor for you. And hey, you can get reasonably priced airline tickets, and if the salary is so much higher, keep your house in LA and be bicoastal. Have a house in each. That, or rent out your LA-area house and save money and grow your wealth and then retire early to California.

In fact, if you don't want the job, have your friend call me :ph34r:

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I can tell you are excited by this opportunity. I go along with the theory that if the cost of living is in the ballpark, it is a perfect time to make this move. Your SO is not here and no children to move. If this works for you, it gives you the flexibility to have greater control of your life later on. I have always had a goal to retire early and control my own destiny.

The company seems to be trying extremely hard to impress you. I would do due diligence to make sure this company is lucrative as you think. It sounds as if you know that it already is. This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. See what they say and then follow your heart.

First .. I have to say .. that I am VERY VERY VERY VERY lucky girl. I have an amazing career that I love..with a great salary and great contacts in my industry.

Today I get a call from someone I worked closely with a couple of years ago and he is now the CEO in a lucrative company and he called to offer me an SVP job. Currently I am a VP and my immediate thought was thanks but no thanks because hstlakee is on the East Coast (city near the Hamptons in NY) and I am in We CA. I worked hard to be able to afford to live where I live because CA was my dream (yes .. I have been California dreamin for a long time .. and it totally lives up to my expectations). Lin is coming and I think he will like CA.. So I was thinking I would just refer someone who has the same or higher level skills... UNTIL........... duh duh duhhhh

he said .... he will consider a referal from me but ultimately wants me and then HE OFFERED ME DOUBLE MY CURRENT SALARY which is already GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! AND said money is no object if I need more we can talk ;) :offtopic: :rolleyes: Im like HUH????? WHAT?????? Did this just happen to ME????????

I told Lin and he says he will live anywhere as long as he is with me. I have many many things to investigate first before seriously considering it ..... But what would you do??? Would you choose to live in a city you like .. or move to a salary level that is way beyond your dreams?

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I can tell you are excited by this opportunity. I go along with the theory that if the cost of living is in the ballpark, it is a perfect time to make this move. Your SO is not here and no children to move. If this works for you, it gives you the flexibility to have greater control of your life later on. I have always had a goal to retire early and control my own destiny.

The company seems to be trying extremely hard to impress you. I would do due diligence to make sure this company is lucrative as you think. It sounds as if you know that it already is. This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. See what they say and then follow your heart.

First .. I have to say .. that I am VERY VERY VERY VERY lucky girl. I have an amazing career that I love..with a great salary and great contacts in my industry.

Today I get a call from someone I worked closely with a couple of years ago and he is now the CEO in a lucrative company and he called to offer me an SVP job. Currently I am a VP and my immediate thought was thanks but no thanks because hstlakee is on the East Coast (city near the Hamptons in NY) and I am in We CA. I worked hard to be able to afford to live where I live because CA was my dream (yes .. I have been California dreamin for a long time .. and it totally lives up to my expectations). Lin is coming and I think he will like CA.. So I was thinking I would just refer someone who has the same or higher level skills... UNTIL........... duh duh duhhhh

he said .... he will consider a referal from me but ultimately wants me and then HE OFFERED ME DOUBLE MY CURRENT SALARY which is already GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! AND said money is no object if I need more we can talk :) :D :D Im like HUH????? WHAT?????? Did this just happen to ME????????

I told Lin and he says he will live anywhere as long as he is with me. I have many many things to investigate first before seriously considering it ..... But what would you do??? Would you choose to live in a city you like .. or move to a salary level that is way beyond your dreams?

Thank you everyone for your different thoughts. Me and Lin are going to NY on Friday and I will see what I think .. You know .. sometimes it seems like things happen for a reason .. about a week after this opportunity came my way .. my current company started changing senior managers and the politics are SO brutal right now .. I prefer not to play right now .. Im kind of busy.

Edited by woainilin (see edit history)