Marriage in Guangzhou

dstarsboy

Hey peoples,

My SO and I are planning to get married in around 2-3 days in Guangzhou before I leave to come back to the U.S.

From what I understand, she will have her notarized "single certificate" and her ID Card. I will have my "single certificate" from the Canadian Consulate (translated version and English version, notarized) and Canadian passport. However, at this point, I'm a little confused as to what to do next. The Canadian Consulate doesn't seem as helpful on the phone as some of you are experiencing with the U.S. Consulate.

Is the next step simply going to a government building and registering for marriage? Is an appointment necessary? Is there usually a long wait? Does the marriage registration have to take place in her hometown of Nanning?

Thanks in advance. Also, if anyone can give me a link to an in-depth website that has all of this information on it for me, that would be helpful.

I would go to the Chinese embassy website and see what you need. You will need permission from the Chinese consulate to marry a Chinese citizen. the permission I received was after I sent my divorce decree and I filled out some forms and had them certified by the secretary of state of Georgia and sent them onto the Chinese counsulate which they then sent back with a certificate of eligilibility to marry.

I can't see how it would be different for a Canadian citizen, but I have be wrong before.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)
Hey peoples,

My SO and I are planning to get married in around 2-3 days in Guangzhou before I leave to come back to the U.S.

From what I understand, she will have her notarized "single certificate" and her ID Card. I will have my "single certificate" from the Canadian Consulate (translated version and English version, notarized) and Canadian passport. However, at this point, I'm a little confused as to what to do next. The Canadian Consulate doesn't seem as helpful on the phone as some of you are experiencing with the U.S. Consulate.

Is the next step simply going to a government building and registering for marriage? Is an appointment necessary? Is there usually a long wait? Does the marriage registration have to take place in her hometown of Nanning?

Thanks in advance. Also, if anyone can give me a link to an in-depth website that has all of this information on it for me, that would be helpful.

239724[/snapback]

As far as I remember, the marriage registration shall be done at the local Civil Affairs Bureau of your SO's Hukou registration city. You may ask your SO to enquire about the relevant procedure at the local Civil Affairs Bureau.

You may also refer to these links for reference:

http://www.nanning.gov.cn/2648/2005_12_26/...5582070212.html

http://www.helplinelaw.com/law/china/marriage/foreigners.php

Edited by corvette (see edit history)

I think the most important part of this would be that China wants to ensure that the foreigner is not currently married. In the US, just a divorce decree is not suffucient. That is where the County clerk verifies the divorce is accurate and the Secretary of State verifies that the County Clerk is indeed the County Clerk and is in fact accurate of your single status.

I will say there was a man from Finland in the office Nanning when I was getting my forms translated for the marruage the next day. He thought he had everything that he needed to get married and the lady who had to turn him away asked me if I would mind if he could see my forms. He was very upset, I don't think he was able to get married that trip.

I would think that D man might have a particulary complicated situation being that he is not a citizen of the US and might need documentation from Canada. I would look into it more. Time might not be on your side here, so you might have to postpone if not your trip, your marriage until you can figure out what is needed. Just the same, I wish you luck.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

That's too bad. I read a few posts here where people in Guangzhou have had remarkably quick wedding processes starting with nothing but their passport (few days, tops). Oh well, these were old posts so maybe times have changed or wouldn't apply to Canadians. I can always fall back on the K1, but I was just hoping to speed the process along before naturalization to the U.S.

Thanks everyone.

Guest pushbrk
Hey peoples,

239724[/snapback]

Based on the understanding that you are IN GUANGZHOU and have obtained a certificate from the Canadian Consulate IN GUANGZOU and it is officially translated to Chinese, then you go to the "appropriate" local government "marriage to foreigner" office.

If your fiance's registered Houkou is Nanning then you will have to go to Nanning to register your marriage. A quick call to the Guangzhou Marriage office by your SO will clear up any question about the location.

You do not need an appointment in Nanning but your papers will need to be in order. You will not successfully register a marriage until they are.

I would go to the Chinese embassy website and see what you need. You will need permission from the Chinese consulate to marry a Chinese citizen. the permission I received was after I sent my divorce decree and I filled out some forms and had them certified by the secretary of state of Georgia and sent them onto the Chinese counsulate which they then sent back with a certificate of eligilibility to marry.

I can't see how it would be different for a Canadian citizen, but I have be wrong before.

239754[/snapback]

You did not need an "affidavit of single status"? also, I have my divorce degree certified by state of NY. Do i just send to to chinese consulate here in NY with their application form?

thanks

Guest pushbrk

239754[/snapback]

You did not need an "affidavit of single status"? also, I have my divorce degree certified by state of NY. Do i just send to to chinese consulate here in NY with their application form?

thanks

240242[/snapback]

Charles is talking about the same thing. It's not "permission". It's a certification that you are single. There are three ways to get it. Dstarsboy got his at the Canadian Consulate in Guangzhou. US Citizens can do the same thing.

Dstarsboy now needs to find out whether they can marry in Guangzhou or if they must travel to Nanning to do it.

239754[/snapback]

thanks

240242[/snapback]

Charles is talking about the same thing. It's not "permission". It's a certification that you are single. There are three ways to get it. Dstarsboy got his at the Canadian Consulate in Guangzhou. US Citizens can do the same thing.

Dstarsboy now needs to find out whether they can marry in Guangzhou or if they must travel to Nanning to do it.

240244[/snapback]

Thanks for the correction Mike. I wouldn't want to lead Dstar down the wrong road.