FLowers

evansfan

Yanxia, is feeling a little down so I want to send her some lillies anyone know of any great online chinese flower shops

thx

Jay

236606[/snapback]

I have used Annie Flowers with good success. They also keep an online account for you that I have printed for more relationship evidence,

http://china-flower.annie.com.cn/

-James and Loving Candle

OMG! I just took a look at the website and saw their prices. INSANE! While they are perfectly reasonable prices in the US, as compared to 1800florist or FTD, but in China, they should be 1/10 the price. Outside of the big 3 (BJ, SH, GZ) it should be 1/12 or 1/15 the price that this Anna person is charging. She's making an absolute killing!

Have any of you purchased flowers while in China? These are totally rip off prices. 10rmb is more than adequate delivery fee for intercity deliveries and I gaurantee they are not flying these flowers in from some other city. These are locally delivered from that city and 10rmb should be adequate delivery fee.

I just can't believe the prices she's charging. It's enough to make me want to go to China right now and start a flower delivery company catering to foreigners wanting to send their GF's flowers.

Absolutely flabbergasted! :D :o :D

When you are in China, you will certainly want to go down to the corner and buy them yourself, ordering in Mandarin. Then again, the Laowei prices may NOT be the same as that charged to the local residents... :D

Annie Flowers is NOT competing in that market. They are competing in the "US man sends flowers to his Chinese Lady" market. In that venue they are VERY competitive and their service is excellent.

They are NOT a 'rip-off'. They provide a service that I gladly pay for and greatly appreciate.

-James

Annie Flowers is NOT competing in that market. They are competing in the "US man sends flowers to his Chinese Lady" market. In that venue they are VERY competitive and their service is excellent.

They are NOT a 'rip-off'. They provide a service that I gladly pay for and greatly appreciate.

-James

Alright, I'm moving over to SH and starting Sir Lancelot's US man sends flower to his Chinese Lady flower shop. You bring all your fellow buddies to me for their flower needs. I'll give you a better rate than Anna's. She's ripping you off. I will sell equally impressive flowers to you for 25% off her prices.

I would totally do it if I think there were enough of you to sustain this business model. But I doubt there are enough of you. I suspect she charges the amount she does because she knows she can get away with doing that. If this was her sole clientele, she'd be out of business. I'm sure she charges locals a different rate, or she'd be out of business too.

-James

Alright, I'm moving over to SH and starting Sir Lancelot's US man sends flower to his Chinese Lady flower shop. You bring all your fellow buddies to me for their flower needs. I'll give you a better rate than Anna's. She's ripping you off. I will sell equally impressive flowers to you for 25% off her prices.

I would totally do it if I think there were enough of you to sustain this business model. But I doubt there are enough of you. I suspect she charges the amount she does because she knows she can get away with doing that. If this was her sole clientele, she'd be out of business. I'm sure she charges locals a different rate, or she'd be out of business too.

Go for it!

Let us know what the overhead is for opening a 24/7 call center in Beijing, then making deals with local florists all over China, processing the orders and making sure the customers are happy.

Annie flowers answers inquiries 24/7 and processes orders within 20 minutes. They maintain a professional website with a shopping cart. They have bilingual staff and are available on the phone (in Chinese), Yahoo messenger and Skype.

I believe that means AT LEAST 3 full time people in Beijing. Beijing costs and wages are among the highest in China.

Have you ever run a small or medium business? Any idea what it takes to survive? The florist industry is highly seasonal. They must pay staff even when the volume of orders is not there.

Tell me what business you have run, how much profit you make and how you financed it?

There is DEFINITELY enough business to sustain the business model or there would not be multiple competitors in that niche.

BTW, I have NO association with them except as a satisifed customer. BUT I get very unhappy when I hear some wage slave call a legitimate business a 'rip-off' due to their incomplete and simplistic view of business and finance.

-James

Edited by jemmyell (see edit history)

Go for it!

Let us know what the overhead is for opening a 24/7 call center in Beijing, then making deals with local florists all over China, processing the orders and making sure the customers are happy.

Annie flowers answers inquiries 24/7 and processes orders within 20 minutes. They maintain a professional website with a shopping cart. They have bilingual staff and are available on the phone (in Chinese), Yahoo messenger and Skype.

I believe that means AT LEAST 3 full time people in Beijing. Beijing costs and wages are among the highest in China.

Have you ever run a small or medium business? Any idea what it takes to survive? The florist industry is highly seasonal. They must pay staff even when the volume of orders is not there.

Tell me what business you have run, how much profit you make and how you financed it?

There is DEFINITELY enough business to sustain the business model or there would not be multiple competitors in that niche.

BTW, I have NO association with them except as a satisifed customer. BUT I get very unhappy when I hear some wage slave call a legitimate business a 'rip-off' due to their incomplete and simplistic view of business and finance.

-James

You have taken the liberty to assume quite a bit about me, so I will go ahead and take the liberty with you as well.

I think I know the Chinese business environment much better than you. I have lived in Guilin and Shanghai for an extend period of time doing research on opening up some business there. I've also visited many other cities checking out business opportunties. There is NO need to base my operation in BJ. For a call center, I can setup my base anywhere. All I would need are college students with an English degree for the email/skype/call center. You pay them 1500rmb month (that's 185 USD/month). You pay them at the END of the month. They work for 30 days first before any pay.

I'm not going to disclose anymore about my private info. Suffice it to say I have the background and the knowledge--better than you--to do this. If I believed there were enough US buyers wanting to buy flowers each day to send to their Chinese gals, I'd be doing it. Nothing prevents me from doing this, except there isn't enough of a market.

The reason why Anne charges so much is because there's NO market to sustain it and she charges a premium for such service. But she BANKS with each order.

Judigng by what you've posted above, I think it's you who has no idea what it costs or how to do business in China. As a loawei, it will cost you a lot to setup a business in China. But if you have a local Chinese partner in which the business is registered under, then it's quite cheap for a small flower shop. It's all about knowing people in China. Business in China is done so differently than the US. I'm not telling you anymore. You go do your own research.

But you are more than welcome to pay whatever price you want for these flowers. It's the same kind of price gouging that loaweis encounter when visiting China and are laughed at by the local merchants when they sell you something for 100 rmb and then sell the same item to locals for 10 rmb. If you feel comfortable with that and feel you're not ripped off, then so be it. All kinds of people in the world.

Go for it!

-James

You have taken the liberty to assume quite a bit about me, so I will go ahead and take the liberty with you as well.

I think I know the Chinese business environment much better than you. I have lived in Guilin and Shanghai for an extend period of time doing research on opening up some business there. I've also visited many other cities checking out business opportunties. There is NO need to base my operation in BJ. For a call center, I can setup my base anywhere. All I would need are college students with an English degree for the email/skype/call center. You pay them 1500rmb month (that's 185 USD/month). You pay them at the END of the month. They work for 30 days first before any pay.

I'm not going to disclose anymore about my private info. Suffice it to say I have the background and the knowledge--better than you--to do this. If I believed there were enough US buyers wanting to buy flowers each day to send to their Chinese gals, I'd be doing it. Nothing prevents me from doing this, except there isn't enough of a market.

The reason why Anne charges so much is because there's NO market to sustain it and she charges a premium for such service. But she BANKS with each order.

Judigng by what you've posted above, I think it's you who has no idea what it costs or how to do business in China. As a loawei, it will cost you a lot to setup a business in China. But if you have a local Chinese partner in which the business is registered under, then it's quite cheap for a small flower shop. It's all about knowing people in China. Business in China is done so differently than the US. I'm not telling you anymore. You go do your own research.

But you are more than welcome to pay whatever price you want for these flowers. It's the same kind of price gouging that loaweis encounter when visiting China and are laughed at by the local merchants when they sell you something for 100 rmb and then sell the same item to locals for 10 rmb. If you feel comfortable with that and feel you're not ripped off, then so be it. All kinds of people in the world.

Well you also take great liberties. I have run successful small businesses all my life. If it were not for the cost of medical services I would not work for a fortune 500 company. You continue to misstate the dynamics of a business like Annie Flowers while mentioning your 'research'. Research is a LONG way from making a payroll and turning a profit. Again, I ask you, have YOU EVER run a business of any size? If not, then you don't know what you are talking about.

At this point you may tell me you are a MBA at a large company, many qualifications etc. I have spent my professional career cleaning up after MBAs that couldn't turn a profit if they had the only hamburger for sale in a starving city.

-James

Ok A proposal for SirLancelLot. Our discussion has gone astray to unverifiable claims from both if us. BUT really, this is simple. You are SURE Annie Flowers is a 'rip off'.

OK!!!

THEN, I want to buy a service. I want to send good quality red roses (one dozen, with baby's breath arranged) to a woman I love very much. I want the florist to call her within 2 hours and deliver within 4, ANYWHERE in China, let's say Jilin!

Give me your recommendation for not getting ripped off please. Prices, websites, dates, NOT BULLSHIT please....

-James

Ok A proposal for SirLancelLot. Our discussion has gone astray to unverifiable claims from both if us. BUT really, this is simple. You are SURE Annie Flowers is a 'rip off'.

OK!!!

THEN, I want to buy a service. I want to send good quality red roses (one dozen, with baby's breath arranged) to a woman I love very much. I want the florist to call her within 2 hours and deliver within 4, ANYWHERE in China, let's say Jilin!

Give me your recommendation for not getting ripped off please. Prices, websites, dates, NOT BULLSHIT please....

-James

I am sure she's a rip off in that if you have a friend in Jilin, get that friend to buy it for you at a local flower shop in Jilin and have the shop deliver it. It will be 1/10 the price you're willing to pay Annie. If you don't have a friend in Jilin, then I'm sorry but you may indeed have to pay Annie's prices. If I lived in Jilin, I'd do it for you and charge you 50% of what Annie is charging you.

What I don't understand is why you're mad at me--it's like killing the messenger. I'm not a competitor of Annies. I haven't even suggested you take your business elsewhere to a specific competitor. I have no vested interest in this. All I was saying is that it's a rip off as flowers in China are 1/10 the prices of what they are in the US. During this past Valentines day, I had a good opportunity to see how the flower business worked in Shanghai. The market system is alive and well and kicking in China. The flowers (especially roses) went up by 300% in many cases on Valentine's Day. But even then it was still cheap by US standards.

A long stem rose--good quality--when it's not Valentine's Day can be had for 3-4 rmb when purchased in quantity, such as a dozen. If you only purchase one stem, they may charge you 8-10rmb. These are HIGH QUALITY LONG stems--I mean REALLY LONG, not the short little roses you get at Safeway or Alberson's for $3.99. But during Valentine's Day, they were going for 10-15rmb per long stem.

You can get a dozen HQ long stem roses for 40 rmb normally. That's $5 USD. This is HQ stuff of course. You can pay less for lesser quality flowers.

James, I wish you well with sending your flowers. You are free to pay as much or as little as you want. I don't make a penny for suggesting you go elsewhere and pay less. I don't even know any of Annie's competitors.

edit: I'm curious James, may I ask where you buy your airline tickets when you travel to China? Travelocity/Obritz/Expedia or some Chinese Travel agency in the US? If you answer the former, then I strongly suggest you check out the latter. It'll save you A LOT! I'm headed off to SH again very soon. Booked my tickets with a Chinese Agency in the SF Bay Area. Total out the door price was $720. The SAME United Air tickets from the above mentioned 3 online travel houses were all $1100+ USD.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

OK!!!

-James

I am sure she's a rip off in that if you have a friend in Jilin, get that friend to buy it for you at a local flower shop in Jilin and have the shop deliver it. It will be 1/10 the price you're willing to pay Annie. If you don't have a friend in Jilin, then I'm sorry but you may indeed have to pay Annie's prices. If I lived in Jilin, I'd do it for you and charge you 50% of what Annie is charging you.

What I don't understand is why you're mad at me--it's like killing the messenger. I'm not a competitor of Annies. I haven't even suggested you take your business elsewhere to a specific competitor. I have no vested interest in this. All I was saying is that it's a rip off as flowers in China are 1/10 the prices of what they are in the US. During this past Valentines day, I had a good opportunity to see how the flower business worked in Shanghai. The market system is alive and well and kicking in China. The flowers (especially roses) went up by 300% in many cases on Valentine's Day. But even then it was still cheap by US standards.

A long stem rose--good quality--when it's not Valentine's Day can be had for 3-4 rmb when purchased in quantity, such as a dozen. If you only purchase one stem, they may charge you 8-10rmb. These are HIGH QUALITY LONG stems--I mean REALLY LONG, not the short little roses you get at Safeway or Alberson's for $3.99. But during Valentine's Day, they were going for 10-15rmb per long stem.

You can get a dozen HQ long stem roses for 40 rmb normally. That's $5 USD. This is HQ stuff of course. You can pay less for lesser quality flowers.

James, I wish you well with sending your flowers. You are free to pay as much or as little as you want. I don't make a penny for suggesting you go elsewhere and pay less. I don't even know any of Annie's competitors.

edit: I'm curious James, may I ask where you buy your airline tickets when you travel to China? Travelocity/Obritz/Expedia or some Chinese Travel agency in the US? If you answer the former, then I strongly suggest you check out the latter. It'll save you A LOT! I'm headed off to SH again very soon. Booked my tickets with a Chinese Agency in the SF Bay Area. Total out the door price was $720. The SAME United Air tickets from the above mentioned 3 online travel houses were all $1100+ USD.

Hello,

I am NOT mad at you, but statements like 'rip-off' can cause great harm to a legitimate business. This thread was all about an american man wanting to know how to buy flowers for his sweetheart who was down. By calling Annie a 'rip-off' you interjected an unfair appraisal of an honest service without offering an alternative. He doesn't have any friends in his sweetheart's home town or he would have used them (maybe).

Yes, I do know what flowers cost in China. I'm not in China and neither are most of the members of this site. MOST of what Annie is charging for is the SERVICE, not the product. I can order in the middle of the night (china time) get a confirmation within 20 minutes, pay for the flowers directly from my PayPal account, and then they are delivered WHEN and WHERE I want them delivered.

I buy tickets wherever I can get the best deal. The chinese travel agencies usually do give the best deals as you have noted. BUT some of the online services can have VERY good deals for last minute travel and even dealing direct can give surprising results some times.

Sometimes I don't shop as much as I should. I'm not retired, I work a full time job as an engineer and run two part time businesses also. My time is very valuable to me.

-James

Sometimes I don't shop as much as I should. I'm not retired, I work a full time job as an engineer and run two part time businesses also. My time is very valuable to me.

-James

This part I can understand and appreciate. (I have an economics degree by the way.) Your lack of time makes time more precious than money. Understood.

I actually went and tested annieflowers for myself tonight.

I'm sorry to say I'm not that impressed. Tried IMing them via MSN, no reply whatsoever. Then tried Skype, after a little while someone did answer. Very awkward. No greetings, nothing. So I asked if it was Anniesflower and they respond yes. Nothing more. Then I asked my question. Could they make a delivery for Shanghai at 5 - 6pm today (I spoke to them at 3:45 pm local time SH). One word reply: Impossible. Then they go on to reply that it's 4 pm already (3:45 pm actually) and that it's "no enough" time.

I replied "Ok. Thanks."

I did more checking of her prices. It's NOT as bad as I initially thought. It's still very expensive but not as expensive as I initially thought when I took a quick glance at the site.

Also of interest is that under the About Us section, it claims its headquarted in Ontario Canada. So it's a Canadian outfit. That would make sense as to why the prices are so high. It's a foreign run/managed outfit.

Anyway. This has actually gotten my mind thinking about this business. I've contacted a friend in SH and we discussed about this business tonight. Our concern is still whether there is enough of a market to have a steady flow of business. One or two order of flowers a day certainly isn't going to compel me to start such a business to compete, but if there actually are hundreds of orders a day, then it's definitely an idea to seriously consider.

James, they do provide a service and I admit it's not easy to find such an outfit. In fact I never knew such outfits existed in China to be honest. It nice to have this service when one really needs it, but the prices, in my opinion, are outragous given what flower prices are in China. But given that you, and many others aren't in China, I can see where this outfit might be of use to you and some others. And if you're willing to put up with the price--KNOWING that they are at a premium--then I have no right to convince you to shop elsewhere. Enjoy your flowers for your gal.

Peace

-James

This part I can understand and appreciate. (I have an economics degree by the way.) Your lack of time makes time more precious than money. Understood.

I actually went and tested annieflowers for myself tonight.

I'm sorry to say I'm not that impressed. Tried IMing them via MSN, no reply whatsoever. Then tried Skype, after a little while someone did answer. Very awkward. No greetings, nothing. So I asked if it was Anniesflower and they respond yes. Nothing more. Then I asked my question. Could they make a delivery for Shanghai at 5 - 6pm today (I spoke to them at 3:45 pm local time SH). One word reply: Impossible. Then they go on to reply that it's 4 pm already (3:45 pm actually) and that it's "no enough" time.

I replied "Ok. Thanks."

I did more checking of her prices. It's NOT as bad as I initially thought. It's still very expensive but not as expensive as I initially thought when I took a quick glance at the site.

Also of interest is that under the About Us section, it claims its headquarted in Ontario Canada. So it's a Canadian outfit. That would make sense as to why the prices are so high. It's a foreign run/managed outfit.

Anyway. This has actually gotten my mind thinking about this business. I've contacted a friend in SH and we discussed about this business tonight. Our concern is still whether there is enough of a market to have a steady flow of business. One or two order of flowers a day certainly isn't going to compel me to start such a business to compete, but if there actually are hundreds of orders a day, then it's definitely an idea to seriously consider.

James, they do provide a service and I admit it's not easy to find such an outfit. In fact I never knew such outfits existed in China to be honest. It nice to have this service when one really needs it, but the prices, in my opinion, are outragous given what flower prices are in China. But given that you, and many others aren't in China, I can see where this outfit might be of use to you and some others. And if you're willing to put up with the price--KNOWING that they are at a premium--then I have no right to convince you to shop elsewhere. Enjoy your flowers for your gal.

Peace

And I can say Peace to you too!

I do feel there is a lot of room for competition in this space. They are essentially acting as FTD in China as do other companies too. cnflowers has been mentioned also. This is a VERY cyclic business. The big romantic holidays are always hectic. Mothers days, Spring Festival, etc. Good luck to you. There is a LOT of legwork in an operation like this I think, it would not be for me. And, as you noted I personally am not that price sensitive. There might be an opportunity for a China Flowers club??? repeat purchases, etc.

Anyways, as I said good luck and my good wishes too.

-James

I think this is way to funny. :greenblob: You sit here talking about what a ripoff Annie is and then you claim that as a local you could get the same flowers at 1/10 the price of what Annie charges, and as a friend in the same city will only charge your American friend 50% of Annies price. What a friend. Let me make sure I understand the math. Annie sells the flowers for $50.00 US. You can buy them for $5.00 US and are willing to buy them and deliver them for me for $25.00. A 400% profit. Is that correct my good friend?

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

Let me guess, you're one of those freeloading friends who leech off of their buddies like a maggot right? You have a friend who owns a restaurant, you must ask them for free meals there all the time? You have a lawyer friend, you ask them handle your legal problems for free all the time? You have a doctor friend, you ask them to consult on all your medical problems for free right? You have a computer programmer friend, you have them come over and fix all your computer problems right? I hate that kind of leech friend.

If I'm saving you 50% over another competitors prices, you bet your butt I'm being a good friend to you. Although I'm not sure I'd offer the deal to an ungrateful "friend" such as you.

I think this is way to funny. :greenblob: You sit here talking about what a ripoff Annie is and then you claim that as a local you could get the same flowers at 1/10 the price of what Annie charges, and as a friend in the same city will only charge your American friend 50% of Annies price. What a friend. Let me make sure I understand the math. Annie sells the flowers for $50.00 US. You can buy them for $5.00 US and are willing to buy them and deliver them for me for $25.00. A 400% profit. Is that correct my good friend?

Let me guess, you're one of those freeloading friends who leech off of their buddies like a maggot right? You have a friend who owns a restaurant, you must ask them for free meals there all the time? You have a lawyer friend, you ask them handle your legal problems for free all the time? You have a doctor friend, you ask them to consult on all your medical problems for free right? You have a computer programmer friend, you have them come over and fix all your computer problems right? I hate that kind of leech friend.

If I'm saving you 50% over another competitors prices, you bet your butt I'm being a good friend to you. Although I'm not sure I'd offer the deal to an ungrateful "friend" such as you.

Well Junior, there is no point in making people wonder about your ignorance when you have now removed all doubt.

Actually I have a number of friends who own restaurants and I always pay for my meals when I visit their establishments and I pay full price and tip the waitresses at least 20%. I always feel they are working harder because they think I might report them to my friend, their boss, if they don't give me good service. I would never do this because I would hate to be in their position and I know that I could not do their job even half as well as the worst server I have ever encountered. B)

The only doctor friend I have is a Pediatric heart surgeon and I have never asked him for an opinion on anything, although he frequently stops by my house to make free use of the dojo as many other friends do. I will say however that as for myself being someone who is currently battling Stage 4 lung cancer with it having spread from my lung to my shoulder, ribs, spine and hip, Julio, my doctor friend, did take it upon himself to check up on both of my oncologists to make sure they were qualified enough in his eyes and even offered to give me a referral to M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston if I ever felt I wasn't getting the best treatment possible. This is what a true friend is like.

When I decided to move 40 miles to be closer to the treatment facilities, over a dozen friends from work and the martial arts studio showed up to pack everything I own and move me into my new house, this was done without my asking. I fact I was prepared to pay Two Men and a Truck to handle the move. My real friends would not allow that. We have always been there for one another.

Returning to the original thread, if I was living in China and a friend called from the US and asked me to pick up some flowers for his SO, I would happily do so without charging my friend. This was my point is response to your stating that "If I lived in Jilin, I'd do it for you and charge you 50% of what Annie is charging you." You most cetrainly are not someone I would ever be interested in calling a friend

You wouldn't have to worry about offering me a deal because I tend to choose my friends carefully and would never stoop so low as to associate with someone like you.

Now piss off.

Sorry Mods, but this turd really irritates me.

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)