Petitioners Passport

One of the items requested by Guangzhou for my wife's followup interview was a notarized copy of my passport. I was fortunate to find a notary that had extensive immigration experience. The following is what she did:

1. copy the passport (front to back), making sure the copy machine setting captures clearly the visas and entrance/exit stamps;

2. stamp each copied page with the notary's seal showing the date the notary's commission expires;

3. attach to the copy a certification statement with the notary's signature, seal, and current date.

4. my certification statement read as follows:

CERTIFICATION

The undersigned certifies that she is a Notary Public for the State at Large for (name of state) and that, as such, she is authorized to notarize these copies of the original official United States of America passport of (petitioner's name) and hereby verifies that she has compared each copy to each original page of the original passport and the pages attached hereto is a true and accurate copy of Mr. (petitioner's name) original passport.

In WITNESS WHEREOF, I have signed and sealed this Certificate as of the (current date, e.g., 10th day of August, 2006).

Guest pushbrk
This must be something new. I made a copy of my passport on my local printer and never had it notarized. It was submitted with my I-129F forms and accepted. I would suggest you follow the new directions though, since I don't keep up on the new regulations.

236853[/snapback]

The passport copy is not required to support the I-129F at filing unless that would be your only way of proving you met in person. Even then only a K1 would need it.

Passport copies are for interview time and are only in case they are needed. When "Needed" notarizing each page (even the blank ones) is the best practice, so when providing to your SO as part of the Kitchen sink, the petitioner is wise to follow that same best practice.

Of course, if your actual passport is present with your SO, even better.

A copy of the passport can be submitted with the I-129F for a few reasons:

1) Proof of citizenship of the USC

2) Proof of dates actually in china, to support having meet within two years. Other proof is often provided as well, but this is better evidence than a boarding pass since the passport shows you actually step into the country.

The urban legend started over a year ago and I transformed it into a kitchen sink necessity... here's the story, from my perspective:

Does anyone know of a case where a copy of the passport was not accepted, and they demanded a notarized copy? I sent my wife a copy, but it is not notarized.

139397[/snapback]

If one looks at USCIS or GUZ webpages, you will not find this anywhere, as far as I can tell... It does not appear to be a 'requirement' for the beneficiary to have anything regarding the petitioner's passport; whether copy, notarized, or the physical thing.

Now, here is what 1-2 years of interviews I have collected show:

1) That a handful of times, the VO directly asks for a 'copy' of the petitioner's passport.

2) In dozen cases, the beneficiary offers it themselves when asked questions (so VO didn't have a chance to ask for it if planned to).

3) Some people do not supply one at all without problem, since the VO did not ask for one.

4) Some have offered the VO a copy or the physical passport and the VO declines to look at it.

4) At least one petitioner was at GUZ and supplied the actual, physical passport and got a slip asking for a notarized copy instead !!

Every extreme case has been encountered. Here is the issue in my opinion:

Unless the passport itself conflicts with other evidence of travel, then I cannot see the passport as causing any concern.

If requested "during the interview", a copy is all that is expected by the VO... BUT !!! The VO can request a notarized copy, and sometimes does when any type of denial occurs (it's on the denial slip as a checkbox request).

At one time, CFLers were saying this was a 'new requirement'.. but what I think was going on was a few denials close together were all experiencing a request for the notarized copy and this got interpreted as 'now required'. Also, there could of been a shift in attitude in asking for this in denials (just as another CFLer said the employment letter was the 'request of the day' based on talking to many interviewed).

The safeguard issue is, if you just go ahead and give a notarized copy, then your SO has it in case of a denial request for it.

139399[/snapback]

A copy of the passport can be submitted with the I-129F for a few reasons:

1) Proof of citizenship of the USC

2) Proof of dates actually in china, to support having meet within two years.  Other proof is often provided as well, but this is better evidence than a boarding pass since the passport shows you actually step into the country.

The urban legend started over a year ago and I transformed it into a kitchen sink necessity... here's the story, from my perspective:

Does anyone know of a case where a copy of the passport was not accepted, and they demanded a notarized copy? I sent my wife a copy, but it is not notarized.

139397[/snapback]

If one looks at USCIS or GUZ webpages, you will not find this anywhere, as far as I can tell... It does not appear to be a 'requirement' for the beneficiary to have anything regarding the petitioner's passport; whether copy, notarized, or the physical thing.

Now, here is what 1-2 years of interviews I have collected show:

1) That a handful of times, the VO directly asks for a 'copy' of the petitioner's passport.

2) In dozen cases, the beneficiary offers it themselves when asked questions (so VO didn't have a chance to ask for it if planned to).

3) Some people do not supply one at all without problem, since the VO did not ask for one.

4) Some have offered the VO a copy or the physical passport and the VO declines to look at it.

4) At least one petitioner was at GUZ and supplied the actual, physical passport and got a slip asking for a notarized copy instead !!

Every extreme case has been encountered. Here is the issue in my opinion:

Unless the passport itself conflicts with other evidence of travel, then I cannot see the passport as causing any concern.

If requested "during the interview", a copy is all that is expected by the VO... BUT !!! The VO can request a notarized copy, and sometimes does when any type of denial occurs (it's on the denial slip as a checkbox request).

At one time, CFLers were saying this was a 'new requirement'.. but what I think was going on was a few denials close together were all experiencing a request for the notarized copy and this got interpreted as 'now required'. Also, there could of been a shift in attitude in asking for this in denials (just as another CFLer said the employment letter was the 'request of the day' based on talking to many interviewed).

The safeguard issue is, if you just go ahead and give a notarized copy, then your SO has it in case of a denial request for it.

139399[/snapback]

236968[/snapback]

A twist I encountered a few weeks ago as I was getting everything ready

to send off to my wife. It seems that in NJ, they are not allowed to

notarize passport copies any longer. I thought the 1st person was nuts so

I tried 2 more places and they all said the same thing. After 911, the

State of New Jersey can no longer noterize passport copies due to

security reasons.

They told me it differs from state to state but NJ no longer can do this.

If you are not going to be at the interview.?Then go to the embassy or consulate and have them make a copy front cover to back cover and notarize the data page.?That will give her all the proof needed of your visits to China for GZ to review.

236284[/snapback]

I would recommend to do it after back in the US.. then you have a complete picture of all the trips, including the last exit trip... Just my thought...

236300[/snapback]

Point taken. GZ hasn't always been able to connect the dots very well. :angry: And we still don't know if this is acceptable as she hasn't had her interview yet.

236304[/snapback]

And the advice is reversed if your at the interview; Do the copy AFTER in china so that entrance is in the copy and it is truly 'up to date'..

of course, most SOs should kindly offer the real petitioner Passport along with hers in a big smile... thinking... yep my petitioner is here... fire away, we're ready to get out of G'Town... :ph34r:

236315[/snapback]

i have contacted my congressman and sent in a for giving them my permission to check on the progress of our case , and to find out why ,there would be a need for a notarized copy of my passport,as soon as i get a reply i will post and all will know what the meaning of this is

236830[/snapback]

The need for a notarized copy of a passport is relationship proof. It simply shows you were in China on certain dates. It also shows your other international tranvel history which could be important.

236846[/snapback]

yes this may be true but i will wait to here from my congressman , before i take this for a fact, this posting is the first time , this have came to light for me,

i have contacted my congressman and sent in a for giving them my permission to check on the progress of our case , and to find out why ,there would be a need for a notarized copy of my passport,as soon as i get a reply i will post and all will know what the meaning of this is

236830[/snapback]

The need for a notarized copy of a passport is relationship proof. It simply shows you were in China on certain dates. It also shows your other international tranvel history which could be important.

236846[/snapback]

yes this may be true but i will wait to here from my congressman , before i take this for a fact, this posting is the first time , this have came to light for me,

236988[/snapback]

I would think that the congressman's office asking for a notarized copy is nothing but CYA... they don't want to work off assumptions or mis-information. If you take the time to get a notarized copy for them, they feel more assured of the validity probably..

I think in the case for GUZ asking for one, it is for different reasons...

Guest pushbrk

236830[/snapback]

236846[/snapback]

236988[/snapback]

I would think that the congressman's office asking for a notarized copy is nothing but CYA... they don't want to work off assumptions or mis-information. If you take the time to get a notarized copy for them, they feel more assured of the validity probably..

I think in the case for GUZ asking for one, it is for different reasons...

236989[/snapback]

I agree with David's earlier assessment. A notarized copy is only required if it is asked for on a blue slip.

However, that is enough reason to supply a notarized copy to your SO....IF....you are not going to be at the interview. She may not be asked for the passport copy at all but if she gets a blue slip asking for a notarized copy, having it in her hand is a good thing.

I'll post an update with more information about my wife's interview in another thread but she WAS asked for a copy of my passport. I have no idea whether it made a difference that it was notarized. I didn't EXPECT it to be asked for. It was only there in case of a blue slip. VO asked for it anyway.