Edited: in the FAQs section, it says what I've pasted below.  This is no longer valid?  I do not want to anger any program managers

236375[/snapback]

I put it in the FAQ since it is a valid means of contacting NVC should one need/want to contact them. Your not going to make any person angry;

I'm just suggesting that from their side, they really see no reason for someone to contact them when it is a known duration of about 7-10 through there, and I agree with this. If someone cannot wait about two weeks for their mailing to come to them, then they will probably call before the milestone expects it to be at the next stop.

Also, I never tracked mine to GUZ... It got through customs and entered in the GUZ computer in the timeframe I expected (I waited 40-60 days after NVC notice, then call DOS to confirm it was there). Again, if someone cannot wait that long without knowing exactly where it is (as opposed to knowing that it is following a certain path and duration alone), then they will probably call before the milestone expects it to be at the next stop...

I'm not an advocate of micro-managing the case in the sense of calling very frequently.. I think this adds to the stress level since you will call many times and get no update if your calling prior to expected milestones.

I am an advocate to know the process. I think it's more important to manage the expections for yourself and your SO, and to understand the milestones and when to expect the case to be where, and check at the expected interval points instead of constantly calling...

Fact is, people who don't call and people who call obsessive get through at the same time and get the visa; Calling is mostly for peace of mind, and in the case of unusually delays to confirm it is as such.

Calling does get one into their system, and as many will state, this in itself might have some value for showing 'effort' in the relationship. I do agree with that; therefore I called maybe 2-3 from the case leaving NVC to P4; to see if namecheck was complete (and scheduled for an interview). At that time, the wait interval was about 5 months. I also sent sent 2 emails for same reason. I figure that was just enough to showup in their system. Again, someone who doesn't call and doesn't email gets equally approved.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pushbrk
Edited: in the FAQs section, it says what I've pasted below.  This is no longer valid?  I do not want to anger any program managers

236375[/snapback]

I'm not an advocate of micro-managing the case in the sense of calling very frequently.. I think this adds to the stress level since you will call many times and get no update if your calling prior to expected milestones.

I am an advocate to know the process. I think it's more important to manage the expections for yourself and your SO, and to understand the milestones and when to expect the case to be where, and check at the expected interval points instead of constantly calling...

Fact is, people who don't call and people who call obsessive get through at the same time and get the visa; Calling is mostly for peace of mind, and in the case of unusually delays to confirm it is as such.

236416[/snapback]

I absolutely agree that calling NVC is more for peace of mind than anything else. You can't really micromanage the process of a K visa. You can only microwatch it. :)

A CR1 case, on the other hand CAN be closely monitored and managed through NVC. That's a different animal altogether.

There's one place, however, where frequent calls CAN be a lifesaver. That is when, like Mercator, you find yourself with only 15 days notice between GUZ mailing the P4 and interview. If several of those days are eaten up with mailing, 15 can become 7. That's why I called DOS every day after finding out my wife was eligible for interview. It turns out we had closer to 40 days notice but it could have been much less.

A CR1 case, on the other hand CAN be closely monitored and managed through NVC.  That's a different animal altogether.

236418[/snapback]

Agree with CR1 stance... I've seen some get through in 2 months and others take 6 months... a different beast it is...

236419[/snapback]

Thanks for the great information guys - I really appreciate it!! I'm almost positive I'll be making the call... if for nothing else than peace of mind. Also I want to be in 'The System'.

A CR1 case, on the other hand CAN be closely monitored and managed through NVC.  That's a different animal altogether.

236418[/snapback]

Agree with CR1 stance... I've seen some get through in 2 months and others take 6 months... a different beast it is...

236419[/snapback]

Thanks for the great information guys - I really appreciate it!! I'm almost positive I'll be making the call... if for nothing else than peace of mind. Also I want to be in 'The System'.

236422[/snapback]

Zhen

You might also consider sending them an email at NVCinquiry@state.gov.

Some VJ members report timely responses with case update info. They also suggest to place your MSC # in the subject line. I just sent one off so we'll see.

I have tried calling, but apparently, a K3 is unable to receive info from the automated line which only accepts EAC, LIN, SRC, or WAC #'s. A "live" operator punch will only get you : "All operators are busy, we are now sending you back to the automated line or you may call after 6:30 pm Eastern"

236418[/snapback]

236419[/snapback]

236422[/snapback]

Zhen

You might also consider sending them an email at NVCinquiry@state.gov.

Some VJ members report timely responses with case update info. They also suggest to place your MSC # in the subject line. I just sent one off so we'll see.

I have tried calling, but apparently, a K3 is unable to receive info from the automated line which only accepts EAC, LIN, SRC, or WAC #'s. A "live" operator punch will only get you : "All operators are busy, we are now sending you back to the automated line or you may call after 6:30 pm Eastern"

236431[/snapback]

OK, sending off the email now - thanks!! It's unfortunate K-3s cannot get info from the automated line. Maybe there are too many of us calling, haha. :P Thanks again!

236418[/snapback]

236419[/snapback]

OK, well I made the call just now. A nice woman told me it was received and the NVC Case #. When I asked her next if the Name Check had been started, I think she said yes, (the connection was not good) but I know right after that she said: "it is in Administrative Review." And that was about all.

Is Administrative Review the generic reply for 'doing anything', such as a Name Check?? Or should I be worried for some reason? Thanks.

Guest pushbrk

236418[/snapback]

236419[/snapback]

OK, well I made the call just now. A nice woman told me it was received and the NVC Case #. When I asked her next if the Name Check had been started, I think she said yes, (the connection was not good) but I know right after that she said: "it is in Administrative Review." And that was about all.

Is Administrative Review the generic reply for 'doing anything', such as a Name Check?? Or should I be worried for some reason? Thanks.

236511[/snapback]

Administrative review could mean just about anything but it is generally not a good thing.

I would call back with a good connection and ask for the GUZ number, the date NVC logged the case as received and whether the name check is completed.

If you don't understand something they tell you, it is ok to ask for clarification, like "Does this mean there will be a delay?"

They cannot reliabley answer or predict the length of any delays so they usually avoid speculating. We still don't know what steps are taken by NVC with regard to IMBRA so any "administrative review" could be connected with IMBRA.

236418[/snapback]

236419[/snapback]

236511[/snapback]

Administrative review could mean just about anything but it is generally not a good thing.

I would call back with a good connection and ask for the GUZ number, the date NVC logged the case as received and whether the name check is completed.

If you don't understand something they tell you, it is ok to ask for clarification, like "Does this mean there will be a delay?"

They cannot reliabley answer or predict the length of any delays so they usually avoid speculating. We still don't know what steps are taken by NVC with regard to IMBRA so any "administrative review" could be connected with IMBRA.

236517[/snapback]

Yea, I did ask her a few times and the answer was always Administrative Review... :roller: and she said she could not predict a time frame.

I also thought it might be IMBRA related... here's hoping for a speedy CR-1 now!! I think there may still be unseen delays with the K's unfortunately.

Congratulations!!  You are half way there!!!  As posted above, NVC can be a quick process.  One week to get there and about three to four days to leave to proceed in crossing the pond.  Then you start the DHL tracking.  Should you call NVC and should you track your DHL package??

You will get various answers to this.  Some guys do and some do not.  What did I do??  I called NVC to get the new GUZ case number and tracked DHL.  But, whatever you decide...congrats again!! :blink:

236385[/snapback]

Hi. Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I didn't know if this deserved a new one :huh:

Anyway, I called NVC again today and this time instead of asking if it was still in AR, I just asked: "is my wife's namecheck done yet?". He said YES!, so I then asked if it had gone to GUZ yet? He said No, it should be 2-4 weeks. Then I asked if he had a DHL Tracking # yet? and he said they do not supply that.

So my question to you is: How do I determine the DHL Tracking #? If they do not supply it, who does? :( Thanks so much in advance!!

Also, in case anyone ever calls NVC and is told there case is in Administrative Review; don't panic right away as I did, rather call them back in a week... apparently AR could and does mean anything including 'Name Check'.

It is good to make the distinction that AR is not necessarily Name check related... I think you did the right thing by asking specifically about a name check, but you do need to also know specifically if it's out of AR or not.

You should get a letter from NVC once the case is cleared to go, which would be one indication that it's about to be sent.

Once it goes to the consulate, I wouldn't waste much time attempting to track it; it will get there and entered in about a month, and DOS can tell you that.

But here's one post about DHL:

tracking DHL mail?, I don't have a clue!

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7871

It is good to make the distinction that AR is not necessarily Name check related... I think you did the right thing by asking specifically about a name check, but you do need to also know specifically if it's out of AR or not.

You should get a letter from NVC once the case is cleared to go, which would be one indication that it's about to be sent.

Once it goes to the consulate, I wouldn't waste much time attempting to track it; it will get there and entered in about a month, and DOS can tell you that.

237805[/snapback]

Thanks a lot for the link, David. That is exactly what I was looking for!

He did say it was completely done and would be going out with the 'next batch'... do they wait until they get a certain amount and then send them to GUZ?

going out with the 'next batch'... do they wait until they get a certain amount and then send them to GUZ?

237807[/snapback]

This is a good question...

I've read from an immigration lawyer who visited NVC that K# cases are sent daily... but I can't say how to reconcile that with the 'next batch' comment.

There was no comments in this visit write-up about CR1 cases, but assume it's handled the same...

But it's clear that NVC has a thorough protocol and the case gets around a few departments. But the comment of 2-4 weeks probably takes into consideration the final processing that must occur, althought this seems a little long if it's basically ready... I guess that's my attempt to reconcile the comment :(

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

237805[/snapback]

Thanks a lot for the link, David. That is exactly what I was looking for!

He did say it was completely done and would be going out with the 'next batch'... do they wait until they get a certain amount and then send them to GUZ?

237807[/snapback]

I would keep calling each day until they tell you "It went out on X date." Then you can try tracking. When they give you an NVC out date, you know it's on its way to GUZ.