Share some simple sentences.

We mostly use only English. But so many times I wish I could express myself better in Chinese, as I am sure others here do too.

Let's share, and perhaps some of the more experienced members can help out with others.

I'll start with this, as taught to me by my SO:

Did you sleep well last night? = zou wan ni shui hao le ma?

You'll never guess what! = ni zen me ye cai bu dao!

I can't hear clearly. = wo ting bu qing chu.

What's new with you? = zui jin zen meyang?

I don't understand what you mean. = wo bu dong ni de yi si.

Give me a call when you wake up. = gei wo da dian hua ni qilai.

My wife espouses "easy speak" chinese... although from the north east and adhere's strictly to the "Beijing way", she feels that one should speak in very easy sentences:

Often 'ni' or 'wo' is left out since it's implied... duh...

ni zen me le - what's up !

ni gan ma na - what are you doing?

zou ba - let's go (!/?)

wo cuo le - I'm wrong

wo gai - I'll change (do it differently next time)

ni zai nar - where are you?

chi fan le - eat ! (get your ass at the table in 2 seconds)

My wife espouses "easy speak" chinese... although from the north east and adhere's strictly to the "Beijing way", she feels that one should speak in very easy sentences:

zou ba - let's go (!/?)

wo cuo le - I'm wrong

chi fan le - eat !  (get your ass at the table in 2 seconds)

237163[/snapback]

David,

Just a quick question: By this post I get the understanding that when your wife calls you to dinner - she expects you to immediately come..... Is this correct?

My wife seems to get very aggrivated if I do not immediately come to the dinner table - Is this a common trait of the Chinese woman???

Thanks,

Scott

Qin wo pi gu = kiss my butt

Needless to say Mama Bear is reluctant to teach me more Chinese.

237285[/snapback]

You got me in trouble, PB. I said that to wifey by phonetically saying it in English. She just gave me a puzzled look and came over to read it for herself. Then she pronounced it in Chinese and bent over. :blink:

237317[/snapback]

Don, soulds like to me that you could have........NEVER MIND :rolleyes:

zou ba - let's go (!/?)

wo cuo le - I'm wrong

chi fan le - eat !   (get your ass at the table in 2 seconds)

237163[/snapback]

David,

Just a quick question: By this post I get the understanding that when your wife calls you to dinner - she expects you to immediately come..... Is this correct?

My wife seems to get very aggrivated if I do not immediately come to the dinner table - Is this a common trait of the Chinese woman???

Thanks,

Scott

237330[/snapback]

I get louder and louder "chi fan le" with each waiting second !

Since I often prepare her breakfast, I issued a single hell raising "chi fan le" this morning :rolleyes:

---------

The core trait is one of 'patience' , or better 'impatience' :blink:

Just take note at a few different situations: Waiting in line anywhere or waiting on anybody or anything... The desire to jump to the front of a line...

I think the eating thing is pronounced since everyone involved is called to the table and the fact that she makes it for you/them implies little delay in serving it. That's my observation with my wife and those we ate with in china over four months there.

I think that carries over to anyone who takes the time to prepare a meal, my mother included ;) .

Agree 100%, in China (when I was there) when it is time to eat, that means now as in right now!

Only 2 times was I sleeping when a meal was being prepared in the evening. I got a gentle "qilai" (get up), "all family wait you now". "Wash face, you come now". There was no question in my mind as to the meaning of "now".

The eating of food all together is a very special time. People unwind and are free to express them self. It is as if all through out the day, feelings and thoughts are kept inside (for the most part). But at the meal time, that is where it all comes out. It is a very important time of the day to allow these talks and feeling to be expressed. While the meals are being prepared, and espically while eating. :)

Edited by MikeandRong (see edit history)

237285[/snapback]

You got me in trouble, PB. I said that to wifey by phonetically saying it in English. She just gave me a puzzled look and came over to read it for herself. Then she pronounced it in Chinese and bent over. :blink:

237317[/snapback]

Well???????? :D

237285[/snapback]

You got me in trouble, PB. I said that to wifey by phonetically saying it in English. She just gave me a puzzled look and came over to read it for herself. Then she pronounced it in Chinese and bent over. :D

237317[/snapback]

:blink: Well Don, I could have told you that would happen a long time ago. :blink: