Things you do in China that you cannot do in US

My question was more to provoke thought, I guess I should have been more specific and included Arab, Indian w/turban, Indian w/feathers, Chinese, Japanese, ect......, and why don't we ever seperate the white races, I am Irish but I am never referred to as being an Irish-American,

if we break down all the races which one would be the true minority.

Why is it that the only time we come together as Americans is durring a crisis like 9/11?

236286[/snapback]

Exactly, I read one source that has the English folks here are now below the Germans and Irish in numbers.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pushbrk
Regardless, Dallas is 65% minority (isn't that now the Marjority??) so we'll have a talk.

234926[/snapback]

In the U.S. a minority means something other than white, and knowing where Dallas is my guess would be that a large portion of that 65% would be Mexican.

That does not detract from your need to address the issue with your SO, even if there is only one person of african decent I am sure you wouldn't want to offend them.

I tend to think all of us are more congenial outside of Twisted Candle, or is my thinking twisted. :P

235601[/snapback]

Much of the South and East sides of Dallas is populated by Blacks. While there are many Hispanics in the DFW area, Dallas proper is not their center of gravity. The suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth are where the higher concentration of Hispanics reside.

236130[/snapback]

The mid-cities are predominately Hispanic?? Where did you get that data???? It differs from my living experiences of the last 40 years in this area.

236240[/snapback]

I guess it was all those drives down Division in Arlington. :)

236266[/snapback]

:) Duh! No wonder! :roller:

236269[/snapback]

Yes, but for the record I did not say the mid-cities were predominantly hispanic. I said there was a higher concentration of hispanics in the mid-cities than in Dallas. It's not the same thing.

236270[/snapback]

The highest concentration is in Dallas (West & Southwest). Only Grand Prarie might be 50% hispanic.

236272[/snapback]

Dallas is a big place. The city itself has a relatively small percentage of hispanic population, even though the sections you mention may have a high percentage.

I wasn't talking about sections of cities but rather whole cities. Yes, there are a high concentration of hispanics in the Southwestern quadrant of Dallas but that's a small portion/percentage of the City. North Dallas is HUGE.

236279[/snapback]

35% is not a small percentage to me.

236281[/snapback]

35% of what?

236282[/snapback]

35% of the city's population is Hispanic.

PS I was wrong earlier, whites' are 50%.

236283[/snapback]

http://www.cityrating.com/citystats.asp?city=Dallas&state=TX

says 21.5% hispanic for Dallas and 25/9% black or African American

Grand Prairie is 33%. Texas overal is 32%.

Check any city in Texas here.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/4804000.html

Knock yourself out.

My original point was that there are more blacks in Dallas than Hispanics, not the other way around as somebody suggested.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
Regardless, Dallas is 65% minority (isn't that now the Marjority??) so we'll have a talk.

234926[/snapback]

In the U.S. a minority means something other than white, and knowing where Dallas is my guess would be that a large portion of that 65% would be Mexican.

That does not detract from your need to address the issue with your SO, even if there is only one person of african decent I am sure you wouldn't want to offend them.

I tend to think all of us are more congenial outside of Twisted Candle, or is my thinking twisted. :P

235601[/snapback]

Much of the South and East sides of Dallas is populated by Blacks. While there are many Hispanics in the DFW area, Dallas proper is not their center of gravity. The suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth are where the higher concentration of Hispanics reside.

236130[/snapback]

The mid-cities are predominately Hispanic?? Where did you get that data???? It differs from my living experiences of the last 40 years in this area.

236240[/snapback]

I guess it was all those drives down Division in Arlington. :)

236266[/snapback]

:) Duh! No wonder! :roller:

236269[/snapback]

Yes, but for the record I did not say the mid-cities were predominantly hispanic. I said there was a higher concentration of hispanics in the mid-cities than in Dallas. It's not the same thing.

236270[/snapback]

The highest concentration is in Dallas (West & Southwest). Only Grand Prarie might be 50% hispanic.

236272[/snapback]

Dallas is a big place. The city itself has a relatively small percentage of hispanic population, even though the sections you mention may have a high percentage.

I wasn't talking about sections of cities but rather whole cities. Yes, there are a high concentration of hispanics in the Southwestern quadrant of Dallas but that's a small portion/percentage of the City. North Dallas is HUGE.

236279[/snapback]

35% is not a small percentage to me.

236281[/snapback]

35% of what?

236282[/snapback]

35% of the city's population is Hispanic.

PS I was wrong earlier, whites' are 50%.

236283[/snapback]

http://www.cityrating.com/citystats.asp?city=Dallas&state=TX

says 21.5% hispanic for Dallas and 25/9% black or African American

Grand Prairie is 33%. Texas overal is 32%.

Check any city in Texas here.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/4804000.html

Knock yourself out.

My original point was that there are more blacks in Dallas than Hispanics, not the other way around as somebody suggested.

236289[/snapback]

WTF? That's the whole point.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)
Guest YOu&Me
Hi: 

I went to my fianc¨¦s small city twice and during my time there, I noticed that China small cities certainly have a different culture then the US. I think Chinese culture is fine and interesting but just different from the US

When i returned me and my SO were discussing the differences and I was telling him things he does there that he should not do here.  Being as we all have unique experiences I would love to hear about other things that people experienced so I can add to my SO lists.  My SO found it so interesting and commented.. Why does US have so many rules?  :ph34r:  ha ha.  Here is my list:

In US:

B) While riding in someone¡¯s car you should not throw your cigarette butt on the carpet of their car and step on it. 

:P When getting a haircut do not expect the hairdresser to give you a back massage

:P You do not have to use a public shower here, and if you do, it is not appropriate to offer someone money to wash your naked body. 

;) Do not wait for a week to pass before taking a shower. 

:o One should not wear the same clothes for ten days

:o Waiters in the US expect tips

:o Even if you are in US Chinese restaurant do not yell FU YUAN!!!!! when trying to get the waiters attention.

:o You will not see 30 minute fights in a restaurant

:o Do not throw your shrimp shells and cigarette butts on the floor of the restaurant. 

:o Do not expect to see people riding buffalo down the street. 

:o Do not expect to see buffalo poop in the road. 

:o We do not have KTV here that comes equipt with your own room, liquor and girls.

233022[/snapback]

Heres one not seen in the usa yet.

A good one add to don'ts.

Sorry for words picked but no

other way to say it..

A real don't is riding on a bus in GZ

in middle of rush hour and you see

a guy on the sidewalk walking down

the street buck naked..

Seems had no care in the world

waving around a inch :lol:

Thats a good don't :o

One other thing is the swastika.  In China you will see it in ancient artifacts and lots of other decrative things, inlcuding clothing.  It just means the good luck never ends.  But to a jew, this may be interpreted as offensive, even though it existed at least 1700 years before WWII

235570[/snapback]

I think our african american citizens might find it a bit offensive too .. Doubt they will see it and think of good luck.

235907[/snapback]

Even the "Ten Commandments" may be offensive to some. :huh:

Even the wrong bandanna can get you capped! :Dah: :P

Now I think of it, after looking at the posts, what "can" we do in the good old USA? :blink:

;)

Guest pushbrk
When your wives say "nei ge," do you mean they say it while speaking English, or Chinese? Mine says it in Chinese (hard to speak any language without occasionally referring to "that one") but never in the middle of an English sentence.

236679[/snapback]

An English only speaking black American will hear the same thing and tend to think the worst, regardless of the language of the other words in the sentence.

When your wives say "nei ge," do you mean they say it while speaking English, or Chinese? Mine says it in Chinese (hard to speak any language without occasionally referring to "that one") but never in the middle of an English sentence.

236679[/snapback]

My wife says it as Carl mentioned, "nay guh".. so it's not really even close to being misunderstood. For that reason, I had not mentioned the issue to her early on as trying to explain it would of been too difficult.

But she does say it sometimes even now in the middle of english sentences... that may be because she came to the US having very little english, and the use of "uh.. uh" is her trying to figure out how to say something. Of course, there valid uses of the word, so it cannot be avoided all together if she's speaking in chinese...

236679[/snapback]

An English only speaking black American will hear the same thing and tend to think the worst, regardless of the language of the other words in the sentence.

236682[/snapback]

I would like to add that in a crowded place where there is a lot of chatter it would be hard to distinguish what language someone was speaking, but certain words can be picked out because of a persons sensitivity to a subject.

Today I lit up while walking out of a restroom near Big Sur.  A pretty guy said to his pretty girlfriend "Hold your breath." as they walked past me.  "Fuck you!" just died in my throat, what would have been the point.  I'm totally outnumbered by slack-jawed, estrogen poisoned, tofu and alfalfa sprout pudding sucking, enviro-fags here.  Just take it with the territory I guess.

236084[/snapback]

I was in San Diego a few years back, in a bar no less, my buddy was hitting on some chicklette when I lit up a cigarette.

Her friend turned to me a said "You know that smoke is killing to me?"

My response "Yes, but not nearly quick enough to suit me."

My friend did not get the date he was looking for, as both women left in a huff....or was it in a puff. :roller:

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)
Today I lit up while walking out of a restroom near Big Sur.?A pretty guy said to his pretty girlfriend "Hold your breath." as they walked past me.?"Fuck you!" just died in my throat, what would have been the point.?I'm totally outnumbered by slack-jawed, estrogen poisoned, tofu and alfalfa sprout pudding sucking, enviro-fags here.?Just take it with the territory I guess.

236084[/snapback]

I was in San Diego a few years back, in a bar no less, my buddy was hitting on some chicklette when I lit up a cigarette.

Her friend turned to me a said "You know that smoke is killing to me?"

My response "Yes, but not nearly quick enough to suit me."

My friend did not get the date he was looking for, as both women left in a huff....or was it in a puff. :(

236758[/snapback]

You are so bad, sooooo bad, but maybe I am too because I can't stop laughing. :D