AOS interview strategy

We had our interview last week and everything went fine but I was worried because laopo's English is okay but not great. I suggested an interpreter but she said she did not need it. Then we get in there and she cannot understand the Ethiopian interviwer at all... :P

So here is my simple plan if your wife has English skills like mine. You are sitting there together across the desk from the interviewer. All of the initial questions were right off the I-485 form and all the "right" answers are "NO". So why not devise a code between you and wifey. You tap her foot for a "no" answer. Obviously she can't just answer "no" to a question like, "Do you live with this man?"... :D ...So you cannot depend on all "no" answers. I am not suggesting lying about anything. Just reducing the stress level for both of you... :) :Dah:

We had our interview last week and everything went fine but I was worried because laopo's English is okay but not great. I suggested an interpreter but she said she did not need it. Then we get in there and she cannot understand the Ethiopian interviwer at all... :(

So here is my simple plan if your wife has English skills like mine. You are sitting there together across the desk from the interviewer. All of the initial questions were right off the I-485 form and all the "right" answers are "NO". So why not devise a code between you and wifey. You tap her foot for a "no" answer. Obviously she can't just answer "no" to a question like, "Do you live with this man?"... :o ...So you cannot depend on all "no" answers. I am not suggesting lying about anything. Just reducing the stress level for both of you... :wub:  :wub:

232079[/snapback]

Reduce the stress yeh right :redmad: ;)

That's a good idea. I've used the foot-tapping strategy for many occasions like car buying, and other large purchases where haggling is involved. The wife will get up on cue and begin to walk out, furious at the outrageous amount of money the dealer wants.

I hadn't thought to apply it during the interview, but I certainly will now.

Nonsense. 

Do what USCIS suggests and what this site has usually suggested in the past-  Take an interpreter with you.

232444[/snapback]

I wondered if someone would state the obvious :ph34r:

But I'll tell a DMV tale.. when my wife went to get her learner's permit.. yes, having taken all those tests online .. yes english tests online...

The lady at the office asked her to answer questions.... she just stared at the lady... the lady handed her a paper and said, "read this and I'll ask them to you".

I suddenly decided on a little impromptu 'foot morse code'... seeing how my wife and I have been instinctively understanding each other since day of (of no english)...

To make a long story short... I was stomping so much that I probably looked to be doing the jitter bug by all those in attendence behind me :D :D :hug:

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
Nonsense. 

Do what USCIS suggests and what this site has usually suggested in the past-  Take an interpreter with you.

232444[/snapback]

Nonsense!!! :pilot:

Perhaps your wife does everything you tell her she should. Mine refused to take an interpreter and we very much lucked out especially since she could not understand the interviewer. But perhaps the Chinese friend that we could have taken would not have understood him either. Anyway it's just an idea to keep in mind...it might come in handy for some couples... :wub: :wub:

Laopo has also heard stories of interviewers asking up front if the woman could speak English well, and when she replied "no" was told there would be no interview. I thought that my wife's English was probably good enough but because of the interviewers accent she could not understand him anyway. There are no guarantees either way... B)

I would be real careful. I am sure that if the interviewer knows what you are doing, the result will not be happy result. I do not know whether you can be charged with interfering with the government offical investigation. I think honesty is the best policy.

Okay so my proposal was a little bit 'tongue-in-cheek'... :D But on the other hand look at all our members who have gone the straight and narrow in every step of the way and have gotten screwed royally for no good reason. It's high time that we turned the tables and gave them back some of their medicine... :D :wub:

I don't believe my wife needs an interpreter. I'm positive she doesn't think she needs one either.

But, if many of the other So's are like my Wei Ping their listening skills are still a little behind their reading, writing and speaking skills. The shoe tapping can help relieve a little of the stress for her having to admit she doesn't understand what the interviewer is saying.

Why can't we act as interpreter?

I can translate about anything into lao gong/lao po hua (aka chinglish) for my wife, if she shys up (more common) or does not understand the question (sometimes happens)...

233727[/snapback]

just can't. Some will have a exception experiences, but don't risk it.

But you should look at the questions on the I-485 checklist that she will fill out... A translator should be able to ensure she understands every question when asked them [again] in the interview.

Once we got a translator, I gave him a copy of the questions.. we went over them together so he understood them.

Why can't we act as interpreter?

I can translate about anything into lao gong/lao po hua (aka chinglish) for my wife, if she shys up (more common) or does not understand the question (sometimes happens)...

233727[/snapback]

They don't want a family member who might answer for her. A neutral 3rd party is preferred.