CULTURAL DISTINCTIVES

Guest Paul

I believe ABC is America Born Chinese and OBC is Over-Sea Born Chinese.  If this is true, then the site is comparing America born Chinese to China born Chinese.

230344[/snapback]

Well, if that is true then what you say is very enlightening, yes.

Thank you,

Wheel Man

thanks paul.. nice to see something like this clearly spelled out...

Tony: thanks for clarifying... that makes sense..

I believe, based on the ABCs I have been exposed to, that they still tend toward the OBCs side at times.. depends on the family and the amount of cultural exposure allowed to the child...

Tony:  thanks for clarifying... that makes sense..

I believe, based on the ABCs I have been exposed to,  that they still tend toward the OBCs side at times.. depends on the family and the amount of cultural exposure allowed to the child...

230353[/snapback]

Hi David -

Yeah, clearly spelled out it is. Heck, I thought it was talking about the ABC's of the alpahbet, grin. BTW, did you see the movie, "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy?

WHeel Man

I believe, based on the ABCs I have been exposed to,  that they still tend toward the OBCs side at times.. depends on the family and the amount of cultural exposure allowed to the child...

230353[/snapback]

Hi David -

Yeah, clearly spelled out it is. Heck, I thought it was talking about the ABC's of the alpahbet, grin. BTW, did you see the movie, "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy?

WHeel Man

230365[/snapback]

I don't remember that.. but based on the review I just read, I should !

I'm confused. Maybe because my wife is too much of an over achiever at times. :threeques: She is all over the place on this. I can see it for some others I know in China.

Thanks Paul. :clapping:

PS: I think because she has tried so hard to overcome the traditions in her country and just not accept them if it does not make sense or is unfair to her. Living in Beijing was an absolute goal for her to improve herself and get out away from even some family expectations with her parents and siblings. So she is a bit more independent, yet Chinese.

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)

230353[/snapback]

The ABCs I know refer to the OBCs as FOBs. ;)

I used to work for a company named "ABC" (American Brothers Corporation). It imports machines for printing newspapers in China. We usually got business calls from the boss at midnight or 4am ;) . We interpreted ABC for Always Being Crazy :D