1st Annual Dumpling Cook Off

Just a crazy idea!! Recently there has been a lot of discussions on food from different regions of China. Most are about the all so delicious, "dumplings". So, it would be a hoot to have an annual dumpling cook off. Just like we see on Food Channel with all the different food type cook offs they have around the country. Again, just a crazy idea....what are some of your thoughts? B)

Just a crazy idea!!  Recently there has been a lot of discussions on food from different regions of China.  Most are about the all so delicious, "dumplings".  So, it would be a hoot to have an annual dumpling cook off.  Just like we see on Food Channel with all the different food type cook offs they have around the country.  Again, just a crazy idea....what are some of your thoughts? B)

228230[/snapback]

I think you should cook a gourmet meal for all of us and leave our wives alone to do what they do best--tell us they hate to cook!! Chefy dude, have you gone mad?? I can hear it now. "HUSBAND!!!. You wanting me go vacation and cook for people?? You crazy 'merica man!!!"

Gheeeez, get your darlin' here fast so you can understand the rest of us!!!!!

Geeez.....you're right Trigg...ok lets change this to the "1st Annual Dummy Cook Off"..... :stupid:  :D

:ph34r: trigg i was really hoping to be a judge an eat and drink free!!

228247[/snapback]

Ahh, you are learning. Eat and drink free--you sound like wifey is training you already! Ya gonna need an assistant judge??

Obviously Trigg cannot COOK! Just as obviously the dumpling cookoff will be between husbands which gives Richard a SMALL advantage (being a pro and all) but I am am willing to give it a fly anyways.

My SO will receive 'pro dumpling' training from her 'Little Brother' who makes THE BEST I have ever eaten (and dude, I DO EAT).

She will then instruct me.

-James

I may have gained an unfair advantage as I just came back from a 9 day intensive training course from the NE. :D

The first day I was hearing many words including "sha gua". :ph34r:

Under the careful watch of 4 sets of eyes, and countless generations of experience, by the end of the 9 day training session I heard many "hen hao's". :cheering:

Making fresh ground pork and delicatley mincing the greens/herbs bought that morning at market with nothing more than a clever now is easy. The proper stir technique along with the correct amount of water added using only chopsticks for consistency (yes, you must taste raw to be done correctly).

The making of the dough, and the rolling and pulling is under my belt. The all important correct side of the ball to be left on top for rolling. The most proper way to roll while being turned at the same time. Proper placement of the palm on top of the roller is most crucial to not coming under instant attack. :cheering:

Remembering to leave the middle bump exposed, forming with only the palm and side thumb for the "correct" seal.

Standing over the steamer and removing at the exact time it is ready.

Blending the correct spices and liquids to make the perfect dipping sauce.

Sitting back and watching all the women eating, and then eating more. :stupid:

I may have just the slightest of edges for now.

Chef .... I have run through all of this with Lao Po. She understands dumpling cooking contest. After careful consideration she asked me to convey the following to you:

"Sa gua! My dumplings #1. Why do you need contest!! Chefie is sa gua wei wei."

And she had a charming smile when she said this .... :)

Just a crazy idea!!  Recently there has been a lot of discussions on food from different regions of China.  Most are about the all so delicious, "dumplings".  So, it would be a hoot to have an annual dumpling cook off.  Just like we see on Food Channel with all the different food type cook offs they have around the country.  Again, just a crazy idea....what are some of your thoughts? :toot:

228230[/snapback]

Richard would making Italian Ravioli from scratch be accetable? :cheering:

Wait a minute......My Ying's dumplings are outstanding and the talk of Kerrville (or at least the many poeple of Kerrville she has given some dumplings too). Since she has gotten here she has begun experimenting with new and different combinations of filling. Since I am her American Guinea Pig, I get first taste of her latest creations. Since she has started I have been amazed at how good they taste, and have yet to tell her I don't like it.