Does interviewee need to pay?

Thanks all! I appreciate your help very much!

I just talked with my wife over the phone. Some of her friends gave her some advices that if someone in Consulate asked her for money, gave him/her. I feel very uncomfortable about it.

How often does it happen?

I just talked with my wife over the phone. Some of her friends gave her some advices that if someone in Consulate asked her for money, gave him/her. I feel very uncomfortable about it.

227684[/snapback]

Sounds like BS to me. I have never heard of anyone inside asking for bribes.

Depending on the visa there could be additional fees, but these are handled at the consulate and they are given an receipt by the consulate.

As for a bribe, if anyone from the consulate directly asks her for money outside of the consulate (5th floor) she should be sure to get their name, phone number and any other information available so you can file a formal complaint.

I suspect this is a rumor that has begun and there is no basis for this.

Now it is possible for some of the people outside of the consulate to ask for money, but the security in front of the consulate and every step of teh way in the building is extremely good to prevent this sort of thing.

Guest pushbrk

227684[/snapback]

After the visa is approved and only after, your wife will be asked to pay a 20RMB fee for the actuall delivery of the visa package to the post office nearby. The package can be picked up two days later. This is not a bribe. It is a legitimate delivery fee.

There are, however numerous scam artists, not associated with the consulate who may try to convince applicants to pay them to assure getting the visa. Your wife should ignore all those people. They are not employed by the consulate.

You paid the CR1 visa fee. She pays a small fee for delivery. The K visa applicants actually pay the visa fee of 810RMB and the delivery fee in Guangzhou but the CR1 only pays for delivery.

I have no experience with any of this, but how can someone who has been to China even once not realize: (1) Chinese society is riddled with "urban legends", and (2) there are as many money scams as there are gullible people.

The US government is far from perfect, but what normal person would ever pay someone standing outside the Motor Vehicle Bureau in their state $5 so they could get ahead on the line, or receive a document they were not entitled to? This is the US Consulate, after all.

common sense should prevail here.. if asked for money, ask 'what is this for', etc ...

At the check-in window, she can ask them immediately if there will be any fees requested of her.

She will pay for the visa pickup fee, as Don points out, but she must go to a special place to do that, inside the consulate after approval.

Guest pushbrk
Anyone who has had any dealings with Chinese society, government or otherwise, knows that it is an accepted fact as well as an unofficial rule that one must either have serious connections or pay a bribe to get anything done here. 

So, I think it is important to take this topic with a grain or two of cultural relativism and realise the Chinese culture embraces certain norms that are very much against the grain, yet they are Chinese norms nonetheless.

Let's not be to hasty to view this topic through American lenses and accept the fact that it may not be b.s. at all, but rather yet another Chinese more that the people have learned to come and expect.

227874[/snapback]

I would prefer that we keep in mind that it is US Consular officers who approve visas. No Chinese Citizens are involved in the approval process. The approvals occur inside the US Consulate.

I understand how Chinese mores contribute to people believing bribes are required but see nothing to support that, in this instance, there is any truth to the rumor.

You will find some of us are well aware and have talked in numerous threads about the chinese way of thinking.. bribes, dowry's and superstitions, oh my!

But let's remember that the OP (original poster) is a USC. While we could lecture him on the origin of such ideas and the philosophical, historical or cultural background... it's easier to let him know that it just shouldn't be happening in the consulate.

The 'proving ground' for such discussion should be in other forums. Please read some of the other forums and you'll find a wealth of debate and discussion on such issues.

Maybe we should be more sensitive in the GVD.. frankly I prefer we cut to the chase and give people direct answers they need here..

But I would like to say it is nice to see you post again ! :wub:

I believe all perspectives that have been offered so far are useful. And they are not mutually exclusive. Their synthesis is actually quite straightforward.

There are expected, well-published fees associated with getting a visa, and they will be requested in government documents or by legitimate US officials. Street vendors or people milling about outside the Consulate are not legitimate US officials.

That having been said, it is entirely understandable many Chinese people (and perhaps their loved ones) might be inveigled into a typical Chinese money scam.

How well I remember the Moroccans milling about in Fez who would approach us and announce they were "gardien auto", hoping to get us to give them a few francs to ensure the safety of our ancient Peugeot. My guess was that they would probably have proceeded to dismantle the car as soon as we left.

It's all the same stuff.

If I went to the US Embassy in the capitol and had to pay a buck or two to park in the Embassy's parking garage, I would probably pay it. But I'd be damned if I'd give a passerby money to park where there was no meter.

This is simply the "Chinese version" of this stuff. It happens all over the world. Buyer beware!

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)