I-864 package thingy

I just got the I-864 paperwork and need a little help. My job recently cut back, and I was one of the lucky one's selected. They opted a service contract with an IT company, rather than have an IT guy full time.

When I came back from China, I decided to crash at my parents home both out of the fact, that I just found it comforting to be around people I know, instead of alone in some apartment and to save the money I'd waste on rent and what not so that Ying could decide where she'd like us to live, California, New York, wherever (she came all this way for me, so it's her choice when she gets here).

Since I now only have part time work , I will probably need joint sponsor or whatever. I noticed something on the form about adding income of people in the household related to me by birth. My folks have no problem being a joint sponsor, what I wonder is...should I do the household member thing? the joint sponsor thing?

It's been 8 months since I came back from China and been living here, so I have the 6 month deal covered as well. Originally was going to use my full time job, and parents to show we have way more than enough.

I get a little lost as to what is the best, and what forms to use with which one. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Anyone give me a little pointer on what would probably be best? And what forms to fill out for whatever you suggest?

Edited by trickyspark (see edit history)
I just got the I-864 paperwork and need a little help. My job recently cut back, and I was one of the lucky one's selected. They opted a service contract with an IT company, rather than have an IT  guy full time.

When I came back from China, I decided to crash at my parents home both out of the fact, that I just found it comforting to be around people I know, instead of alone in some apartment  and to save the money I'd waste on rent and what not so that Ying could decide where she'd like us to live, California, New York, wherever (she came all this way for me, so it's her choice when she gets here).

Since I now only have part time work , I will probably need joint sponsor or whatever. I noticed something on the form about adding income of people in the household related to me by birth. My folks have no problem being a joint sponsor, what I wonder is...should I do the household member thing? the joint sponsor thing?

It's been 8 months since I came back from China and been living here, so I have the 6 month deal covered as well. Originally was going to use my full time job, and parents to show we have way more than enough.

I get a little lost as to what is the best, and what forms to use with which one.  Any advice would be most appreciated.

Anyone give me a little pointer on what would probably be best? And what forms to fill out for whatever you suggest?

227148[/snapback]

Also, I don't know if this will have an effect on how I do it, or what forms to use, but my parents file jointly and both are willing to help in any way. I am looking for the best way, it doesnt have to be the quickest.

It's good that you think through this.. the financial aspect is often cut and dry, but your situation is good to think carefully through.

My quick thoughts on this are as follows:

1) It will also ask you about your current employment (4.A )

2) And will ask about your household size (4.B )

3) The I-864 is going to ask you for your most recent tax info (part 4.C ) based on the poverty guideline number (4.D ).

Your current employment is more important than last years (most recent) tax info... but It's not clear if you filed anything last year. Can you clarify that.

Start with this, IMO:

- See if your current employment income exceeds the poverty level.. this will require you to project out your income for the rest of the year.

- The only issue I see is whether you are falling into a self-employed status or will still be an 'employee' of the company, please clarify that.

My gut says, right now with what I read... if your current year income will exceed the poverty limit, your good to go using yourself as the only sponsor. Just have to figure out how to justify that number (ie: employer letter or self-employed status).

As a backup, your parents can be 'joint-sponsors'... this is not uncommon and so they see lots of these. But you only use them IF you do not meet or exceed the poverty limit... And just because you are living with them, I would not consider them 'household members'... Treat it more like you renting a room IMO...

Hopefully others (and I'm thinking particularly of Frank) will add some insight from their point of view on this sometimes tricky issue...

This is the 'public charge' aspect of the process.. it's very important to get it right as far as possible, in terms of satisfying the VO... and since you need to get this back to NVC, I understand that time is important...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
It's good that you think through this.. the financial aspect is often cut and dry, but your situation is good to think carefully through.

My quick thoughts on this are as follows:

1) It will also ask you about your current employment (4.A )

2) And will ask about your household size (4.B )

3) The I-864 is going to ask you for your most recent tax info (part 4.C ) based on the poverty guideline number (4.D ).

Your current employment is more important than last years (most recent) tax info... but It's not clear if you filed anything last year.  Can you clarify that.

Start with this, IMO

- See if your current employment income exceeds the poverty level.. this will require you to project out your income for the rest of the year. 

- The only issue I see is whether you are falling into a self-employed status or will still be an 'employee' of the company, please clarify that.

My gut says, right now with what I read... if your current year income will exceed the poverty limit, your good to go using yourself as the only sponsor.  Just have to figure out how to justify that number (ie: employer letter or self-employed status).

As a backup, your parents can be 'joint-sponsors'... this is not uncommon and so they see lots of these. But you only use them IF you do not meet or exceed the poverty limit... And  just because you are living with them, I would not consider them 'household members'... Treat it more like you renting a room IMO...

Hopefully others (and I'm thinking particularly of Frank) will add some insight from their point of view on this sometimes tricky issue...

This is the 'public charge' aspect of the process.. it's very important to get it right as far as possible, in terms of satisfying the VO...  and since you need to get this back to NVC, I understand that time is important...

227201[/snapback]

I will answer the questions as best I can.

1. Current employment is now Part time, works out to less than poverty

level.

2. Household size if I count parents and me is 3 (not sure if I count wife

as she isn't here yet)

3.My most recent tax return for 2005 more than met the poverty level

for a family of 4

4. I did file last year. It was more than double what I needed.

5. My current income in my part time job does not meet poverty level.

6. I am not self employed.

I am unsure whether to use my parents as Household member sponsor or Joint Sponsor, either is ok with them. I hope I included what was needed to help you help me on this decision.

I was in the same situation.  I used unemployment benefits as income and it was over the poverty level.  I put down self-employed even though I didn't make much (less than $200 that year).

227252[/snapback]

Sad to say, even with unemployment benefits, it'd be a close call in my case without help. I am looking for a new full time job, but as this small town doesnt have much outside of a hospital, some fast food restraunts, grocery stores, and a bank or 2 I will most likely have to move.

I am searching all over the state, and down into Florida, but as most people know, job hunting can take a while. I don't want to wait 2 months or so until I find something, it might be tomorrow who knows...maybe a lot longer.

I was in the same situation.  I used unemployment benefits as income and it was over the poverty level.  I put down self-employed even though I didn't make much (less than $200 that year).

227252[/snapback]

Sad to say, even with unemployment benefits, it'd be a close call in my case without help. I am looking for a new full time job, but as this small town doesnt have much outside of a hospital, some fast food restraunts, grocery stores, and a bank or 2 I will most likely have to move.

I am searching all over the state, and down into Florida, but as most people know, job hunting can take a while. I don't want to wait 2 months or so until I find something, it might be tomorrow who knows...maybe a lot longer.

227261[/snapback]

Consider posting a separate thread of looking for work, and state your background... I can think of others who did that.

I'm not sure that would solve your I-864 need to send to NVC ASAP.

Using parent(s) as joint-sponsors is a viable option. I'd still have them fill out a I-864 (instead of an I-864a which implies they are part of your household)... but you might need to determine the correct path for that.

If you get some work setup by the interview, I'd prepare a new I-864 in case they would accept it (and release the parents as joint-sponsors).

I guess a VO might consider last year's income irrelevant.

Use the parents as joint sponsors.  As David said, lots of sponsors have successfully done that.

227271[/snapback]

One last question, If i use them as joint sponsor, what determines the household size for them or how much of their income is considered applicable to me and my wife? There would be the 2 of them, What I wonder is, would my wife be added as a 3rd to calculate the poverty level?

My job now produces an income that is about 30% below poverty, I had to grab the first thing I could find and like i said it's temporary until i find something else, hopefully I can show proof of the new job at a later time.

Guest pushbrk
I guess a VO might consider last year's income irrelevant.

Use the parents as joint sponsors.  As David said, lots of sponsors have successfully done that.

227271[/snapback]

One last question, If i use them as joint sponsor, what determines the household size for them or how much of their income is considered applicable to me and my wife? There would be the 2 of them, What I wonder is, would my wife be added as a 3rd to calculate the poverty level?

My job now produces an income that is about 30% below poverty, I had to grab the first thing I could find and like i said it's temporary until i find something else, hopefully I can show proof of the new job at a later time.

227294[/snapback]

I agree with David that you should not consider yourself part of your parent's household. Be a tenant at their address.

Your wife appears on line B2 on any I-864. So she'll appear on yours and on your co-sponsor's I-864 and appear as part the total of each "household".

I just got the I-864 paperwork and need a little help. My job recently cut back, and I was one of the lucky one's selected. They opted a service contract with an IT company, rather than have an IT  guy full time.

When I came back from China, I decided to crash at my parents home both out of the fact, that I just found it comforting to be around people I know, instead of alone in some apartment  and to save the money I'd waste on rent and what not so that Ying could decide where she'd like us to live, California, New York, wherever (she came all this way for me, so it's her choice when she gets here).

I get a little lost as to what is the best, and what forms to use with which one.  Any advice would be most appreciated.

227148[/snapback]

You don't need a sponser or joint sponser. Since you have lived with your parent for more than 6 months you can combine your income with your parent income (family member income) to meet the requirment. You need a sponser or joint sponser only if the family member income don't apply or with the family member income it still does not meet the minimum requirement. Using the family member income is also easier to fill out because the form is included.