SO getting a little concerned

I also concur that getting her a computer and a web cam would be a good investment.?Even if she is busy she could surely find 15 minutes a day to chat with you online.?It is what kept my sanity during the long wait.?Talking on the telephone pales by the comparison of watching her face while she laughs, seeing her smile or just gazing into her eyes.

225595[/snapback]

I will look into getting one over there. If I get one I will need to find someone to set it up for her, but, we'll see how it goes. I'll have to see if she has a computer cafe nearby. Thanks again everyone. I,too get down once in a while. :D

225599[/snapback]

During the long wait, we used the webcam for more than chats. I was able to give Jingwen a guided tour of the house so she could see the various rooms and outside. This gave her a real sense of what was in store for her when she arrived. This was a mixed blessing since I didn't realize how much the furnishings were going to have to change. :) We also used the webcam to introduce Jingwen to family and friends. All in all, the webcam was a very good investment.

225622[/snapback]

Did you go wireless with the webcam???

Mine goes no farther that the room I am in....

Mike

I also concur that getting her a computer and a web cam would be a good investment.?Even if she is busy she could surely find 15 minutes a day to chat with you online.?It is what kept my sanity during the long wait.?Talking on the telephone pales by the comparison of watching her face while she laughs, seeing her smile or just gazing into her eyes.

225595[/snapback]

I will look into getting one over there. If I get one I will need to find someone to set it up for her, but, we'll see how it goes. I'll have to see if she has a computer cafe nearby. Thanks again everyone. I,too get down once in a while. :D

225599[/snapback]

Just a thought and what I did. I went to a local pawn shop and bought a very nice laptop for $250 after some haggling back and forth on price. Took it home bought the web cam and microphone set it all up myself. With Yahoo messenger, Chinese version, from the internet. Her yahoo mail box etc. Sent her a message to Yahoo messenger so when she opened it it would automatically allow you to make calls to her and puts you on her contact list. Shipping might be a little bit of expense but well worth it. I took mine over with me on my 2nd visit. Then she had her friends husband install Chinese language onto computer so she could use for her friends and family when she does get here. We have endless fun talking to one another and reccommend it to anyone. And yes you can introduce family and friends, show her the house, etc. Plus practice the interview questions!!!!!

I am sure as you and me included we all get down at some point during the process because of the time and abscence. But just believe it soon will be over. I am really having trouble being close to the end, but she is very positive now and trys to relax me!!!!!!! :)

225636[/snapback]

I explained everything I had done to my SO's computer (bought here) to her translator/friend during my first visit last year. Being the typical young, Chinese male, he knew better, deleted all of the "protection" on the computer, installed multiple copies of several virus-infected Chinese programs, and now I have to listen to how her computer craps out.

Go figure.

Mike

The posts here have lots of good suggestions. The fundamental thing is communication. Create as many lines of communication as possible. When my SO (now my wife) and I were waiting - for 18 months - I telephoned her everyday. Sometimes we only talked for 10 minutes. We emailed every day, and we have thousands of emails to prove it. We never let a day pass without an email and a phone call.

I was able to visit her in China 3-4 times a year, which helped enormously. I'd also suggest you visit at least one or two more times BEFORE the interview, then again for the interview. It makes all the difference to GUZ to see that you're really serious.

As others did here, I bought my SO a notebook computer, used and in very good condition for not a ton of money. Brought it with me. (She had a computer in her office, but not in her home.) She had a computer-wise friend install Chinese language software. This helped, although her apartment building wasn't set up for higher speed connections.

Also sent her flowers and cards ...

The more communication the better - for you, for her and even for GUZ.

The posts here have lots of good suggestions. The fundamental thing is communication. Create as many lines of communication as possible. When my SO (now my wife) and I were waiting - for 18 months - I telephoned her everyday. Sometimes we only talked for 10 minutes. We emailed every day, and we have thousands of emails to prove it. We never let a day pass without an email and a phone call.

I was able to visit her in China 3-4 times a year, which helped enormously. I'd also suggest you visit at least one or two more times BEFORE the interview, then again for the interview. It makes all the difference to GUZ to see that you're really serious.

As others did here, I bought my SO a notebook computer, used and in very good condition for not a ton of money. Brought it with me. (She had a computer in her office, but not in her home.) She had a computer-wise friend install Chinese language software. This helped, although her apartment building wasn't set up for higher speed connections.

Also sent her flowers and cards ...

The more communication the better - for you, for her and even for GUZ.

226003[/snapback]

I have to very strongly agree, sounds very much like our story. We talked on phone every day, about twice a day for over 2 years, the emails tapered off after the first 9-12 months or so. Only acess was internet cafe. Sent cards and letters. I went to China 4 or more times a year, spent every second I could with her

Beyond waiting to file, the hardest wait was the 100 or so days for NOA2, it just seemed to flow after that.

Edited by ed and ying (see edit history)
During the long wait, we used the webcam for more than chats.  I was able to give Jingwen a guided tour of the house so she could see the various rooms and outside.  This gave her a real sense of what was in store for her when she arrived.  This was a mixed blessing since I didn't realize how much the furnishings were going to have to change. :blink:  We also used the webcam to introduce Jingwen to family and friends.  All in all, the webcam was a very good investment.

225622[/snapback]

Mike

225974[/snapback]

No, but the laptop was. :blink: I just clipped to webcam to the screen and walked around with the laptop.

During the long wait, we used the webcam for more than chats.  I was able to give Jingwen a guided tour of the house so she could see the various rooms and outside.  This gave her a real sense of what was in store for her when she arrived.  This was a mixed blessing since I didn't realize how much the furnishings were going to have to change. :blink:  We also used the webcam to introduce Jingwen to family and friends.  All in all, the webcam was a very good investment.

225622[/snapback]

Mike

225974[/snapback]

No, but the laptop was. :blink: I just clipped to webcam to the screen and walked around with the laptop.

226062[/snapback]

So I guess you went wireless with the laptop?

Thank you all again. It is not possible for me to visit 4 or more times. I'm looking into the computer set up, but I'm thinking the computer cafe might work better because they are already set up for web cams (I think). I don't know because I've never been in one. Yes, we do email almost everyday and I call her just about every night. I'm able to print phone logs from Dynasky. Thanks again for the good suggestions. I finally got her set up with a bank card so she can get some money out from time to time. That seemed to brighten her spirits although she has never asked me for 1 yuan. ;)

I see lots of good advice from seasoned visa-waiters here.

I would add in addition to the other things (flowers, photos of rooms in the house, Internet cam chats, etc.) my wife and I spoke on the phone almost every day.

I made it a point to have some topic or agenda to talk about: from what was growing in the garden to things I was doing with our daughter. That way we were able to be a part of each other's lives on a daily basis. It also helped me learn new words in Chinese, since I looked up words I needed to know for the next conversation. (That's how I learned to say "camping", "movie", "egg plant", etc.).

When my wife finally made it here we just continued our conversations . . .