Am I having "good luck" again?

So, to short of the story... I am having another immigration nightmare here.

We filed AOS in last year, got a RFE in Jan. and sent it out at the end of Feb.

The status saying that it was recieved on March 6 which has been almost 3 months and we haven't heard anything from them yet. (NSC) :rolleyes:

I've noticed that the finger print notice doesn't take more than 2 months for most people...

Always seems to have "start up process luck"... both on K1 and AOS... kinda tired of it... sorry for bitching about it. :( But is there anyone else having the same problem or is it just me? :(

Guess I just wait another 1- 3 months?! (according to the website... 120-180 days.) :P

where's the local office you will have biometrics at?

this ultimately determines how long it takes (IMO)

221097[/snapback]

I have no idea yet.

My files were belong to NSC and I thought there is only 1 place you send your files... well... after all... there is only one word for all solution... wait... :) I guess...

Rosyanne, You might try sending an email or PM to c4racer. He is one of the first who have had to adjust status under the new system here in the Portland area. I'm sure he can tell you all about it.

Rosyanne, You might try sending an email or PM to c4racer.  He is one of the first who have had to adjust status under the new system here in the Portland area.  I'm sure he can tell you all about it.

221313[/snapback]

Thanks a lot man.

New system? I have never heard about it...

I thought the delay might have something to do with the illegal immigration movement... <_<

Rosyanne, You might try sending an email or PM to c4racer.  He is one of the first who have had to adjust status under the new system here in the Portland area.  I'm sure he can tell you all about it.

221313[/snapback]

Thanks a lot man.

New system? I have never heard about it...

I thought the delay might have something to do with the illegal immigration movement... :)

221331[/snapback]

Don't tell us your husband is an illegal alien, that could be really bad. <_<

Unfortunately there used to be a very efficient system here in Portland. Instead of mailing everything off to a drop box in Chicago we could file directly through the USCIS office here in Portland. We simply gathered all the forms and went downtown to hand them over. We had to wait in line about an hour then take a number and wait for them to call our name. When they did we went up to the counter where the clerk went through the papers to make sure they were all there and had me write out a check for the amount. She told us to come back at two and they would issue us an EAD. We walked over to China town and had lunch, went back and picked up her EAD. About 11 weeks later we had our AOS interview. We never even had to submit any finger prints. Then the USCIS decided they needed a more inefficient system and screwed it all up.

Roseyanne,

I would love to tell you what to expect. My wife was the first CFL/001 member from the Portland area to be required to use the new procedures for processing the I-485 where the form had to be mailed to Chicago. The problem is that it now depends on many factors.

First, they have tweaked the procedures since my wife filed her I-485. She received a I-797C notice of received application about 5 weeks after mailing it to Chicago. It told us to call the USCIS customer service center and schedule a Biometrics appointment. This caused us a little delay because it took a few weeks before we could find an appointment time. Now, I understand they are scheduled for you. How and when, not sure but your biometrics will be done at SW 14th offfice in Portland.

Second, Chicago seems to be a transfer office. They do not seem to do any processing. They receive all application and then forward them to a National Service Center. Do they select one which will process the application the fastest? Not sure how they decide where it goes from there. If you are one of the lucky ones, it gets tranfered to CSC (California). They seem to approve applications without an interview. Other Service Centers seem to want the interview as part of the processing. Your appointments for Biometrics and AOS will be done by the local offices.

From what I have noticed. It seems you should expect about 7 months from the time you file your I-485. Add to that any time spent on RFE's. (These times are also only for the Portland area and just an estimate.) I did look at the processing dates for our area. https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/offi...lectedOffice=59 It shows they are working on I-485 applications sent October 15, 2005. When was yours sent in? Looks like you should be getting close to the finish line.

Good luck and hope to see you June 18th.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)
Unfortunately there used to be a very efficient system here in Portland.  Instead of mailing everything off to a drop box in Chicago we could file directly through the USCIS office here in Portland.  We simply gathered all the forms  and went downtown to hand them over.  We had to wait in line about an hour then take a number and wait for them to call our name.  When they did we went up to the counter where the clerk went through the papers to make sure they were all there and had me write out a check for the amount.  She told us to come back at two and they would issue us an EAD.  We walked over to China town and had lunch, went back and picked up her EAD.  About 11 weeks later we had our AOS interview.  We never even had to submit any finger prints.  Then the USCIS decided they needed a more inefficient system and screwed it all up.

221392[/snapback]

You are lucky birds...

Can't tell you how many times I've been kick myself in the a$$ that we didn't start the entire process 1 year or 2 earlier... :)

C4racer,

Thats great info you had there. Thanks alot!

Sounded like my case is normal... I just don't want it get lost again.. other than that... I don't really care how long it takes.

We always seem to have the bad timing... the first time costing we lose 1 year on K1 was bcoz Steve relocated to here and this time, we moved to a new house(I made sure that they recieved my change of address and recieved their confirm mail...). I just dont feel like to recieve another notice few months later telling me that they couldn't contact me or for whatever bullXXXX reason that I was forget by the system.

Thanks again folks... I was just wondering how long(how much additional time) it usually take for REF?(We are not good at paper work and always hit by the REF so...

C4racer,

Sounded like my case is normal... I just don't want it get lost again.. other than that... I don't really care how long it takes.

We always seem to have the bad timing... the first time costing we lose 1 year on K1 was bcoz Steve relocated to here and this time, we moved to a new house(I made sure that they recieved my change of address and recieved their confirm mail...). I just dont feel like to recieve another notice few months later telling me that they couldn't contact me or for whatever bullXXXX reason that I was forget by the system.

Thanks again folks... I was just wondering how long(how much additional time) it usually take for REF?(We are not good at paper work and always hit by the REF so...

221470[/snapback]

It appears that RFE's for AOS fall into 2 categories with the new system.

The first is when Chicago reviews what was sent, they are basically looking for the required information and appear to be the ones who began requiring the vaccination supplement as a requirement in spite of what the instructions said.

The other instance is if the case is sent to CSC and they are just getting the final questions answered for AOS without an interview.

Others have been asked for additional information at the AOS interview and been ask to supply additional evidence to complete the process, so I guess you could call this the third category.

I don't recall seeing any other RFE's for AOS, but then I could be wrong in my observations.

C4racer,

221470[/snapback]

The first is when Chicago reviews what was sent, they are basically looking for the required information and appear to be the ones who began requiring the vaccination supplement as a requirement in spite of what the instructions said.

The other instance is if the case is sent to CSC and they are just getting the final questions answered for AOS without an interview.

Others have been asked for additional information at the AOS interview and been ask to supply additional evidence to complete the process, so I guess you could call this the third category.

I don't recall seeing any other RFE's for AOS, but then I could be wrong in my observations.

221473[/snapback]

I don't know where we were sent but it was asking for fiancial evidence... so does that mean we can skip the interview? :)

C4racer,

221470[/snapback]

221473[/snapback]

I don't know where we were sent but it was asking for fiancial evidence... so does that mean we can skip the interview? :)

221549[/snapback]

On your I-797C, does it have a receipt number? This is usually a dead give away for who is processing your form. It should look like XXX-00-000-00000. XXX could be VSC (Vermont), TSC (Texas), NSC (Nebraska), MSC (Missouri) or if your real lucky (CSC) California. If you don't have one, then maybe Chicago made the request.