A slowdown on their end?

Laopo reports on a news feature from Chinese TV about problems that some women have had after going to western countries on marriage visas. Inevitably some of the men have misrepresented themselves about everything you can imagine-from finances downward. There have been some publicized cases about abuse, alcoholism, etc. Nothing that doesn't happen in China as well of course but their media, just like ours, looks for sensational stuff to report. Bottom line was that the Chinese government is investigating the whole visa/marriage industry and could make changes. Right now there is really nothing done by them officially in our cases but that may change. Can you imagine the delay if the USC has to undergo checks in China like our government does to our SOs?.. :rolleyes: This may not come to pass to affect anyone in the pipeline now and may never result in changes as well but it's worth keeping an eye on. I'm sorry I have no more specifics. I bet it's been on 001...

Guest ShaQuaNew
Isnt in interesting that both the US govt and China govt are doing things to protect against American citizens? Who protects American citizens?

220272[/snapback]

Americans need to protect themselves from doing stupid things. Big government likes to generate programs and focus groups, and helplines, and investigations, and a myriad of other social un-hinged networks to help keep bad decision-makers from having to admit they made a bad decision...

Guest ShaQuaNew

First, lets just say that anything relating to this topic is quite premature, as for the moment it's simply hearsay. With that said, let's keep in mind that the bogus IMBRA bill just passed, which makes the US look like a country that never gave a rats behind about those immigrating to the US. If anything, this is political posturing on China's part, the same deal as the IMBRA bill.

First, lets just say that anything relating to this topic is quite premature, as for the moment it's simply hearsay. With that said, let's keep in mind that the bogus IMBRA bill just passed, which makes the US look like a country that never gave a rats behind about those immigrating to the US. If anything, this is political posturing on China's part, the same deal as the IMBRA bill.

220275[/snapback]

It has nothing to do with anything making sense and often resembles keeping up with the Jones. :P

However, it would be nice if both countries would set asside their posturing and assist their citizens with some method of discovery concerning a potential spouse so that some of the issues we see wouldn't come up, Jany comes to mind.

Bottom line was that the Chinese government is investigating the whole visa/marriage industry and could make changes.

220268[/snapback]

Any way we could put a bug in someone's ear to have them also investigate the detrimental effect of this lengthy visa approval process on their citizens.

I wonder about it all being posturing, like the 3 mile long boulevard in my wife's hometown that leads to nowhere...

China may be starting to be concerned about the male/female imbalance, but then it would also seem like a lack of females helps the growth rate slow down like they want.

I think that the exodus of chinese women (and men, lets not forget) to foreign countries might be seen as a loss of face by the CCP? You don't see alot of citizens of western countries heading to China, like what is happening in the other direction.

I think its interesting that they are talking about it, but that is all it is, until the edict comes down from Beijing...

I wonder about it all being posturing, like the 3 mile long boulevard in my wife's hometown that leads to nowhere...

China may be starting to be concerned about the male/female imbalance, but then it would also seem like a lack of females helps the growth rate slow down like they want.

I think that the exodus of chinese women (and men, lets not forget) to foreign countries might be seen as a loss of face by the CCP?  You don't see alot of citizens of western countries heading to China, like what is happening in the other direction.

I think its interesting that they are talking about it, but that is all it is, until the edict comes down from Beijing...

220296[/snapback]

Yes their gears of government are not totally transparent like ours... ;) . It's too bad that more Chinese men cannot find American wives. On my last trip to GZ to visit laopo, a male friend of hers drove us around and helped us a great deal. A very good-looking, personable guy, mid 30s from a prominent GZ family, has a good government job which included a Mitsu SUV, has traveled all over the world on the government's dime, very fit, practices yoga, etc. On my last day there he gave me a packet of pics of himself and a profile letter about himself and the kind of wife he hoped to find in the west. The downside is that he had almost no english so even if he could find this fit, younger American woman he wanted and got here he would be going from a great job to... :( I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was way better off in China.

I agree with Roger that this is not something that is likely to affect anyone anytime soon, but it could in the future. Without a doubt it is worth keep an eye on this for the benefit of those just entering the pipeline as well as future Candle members.