I am a fan of fans.

Leiqin doesn’t like our bed. Since her surgery she has preferred to sleep on our large, cushy sofa. It is just as well, because I like to have a fan on me at night and she doesn’t. Tuesday night, 3:40am, I am in a deep sleep and I am awoken with Leiqin standing over me with her hand on my face. I am wondering what is going on. I ask, what is she doing? She mumbles something and walks away. I am left in the dark with my fan turned off, wide awake, sweating and wondering what the heck just happened. :toot: An hour later, I finally fall back to sleep only to have to get up for work a half hour after that.

Following Citizenship class last night, a group of students are staying after class and chatting. Mary says that I look tired. I tell her that, yes I am and tell her why. She translates what I tell her to Leiqin and the other women overhear her. The women pause and stare at me with bewildered looks. Leiqin explains her side of the story to Mary. Mary tells me that Chinese believe that persons who sleep with fans on are often found dead in the morning. Leiqin was worried that I had stopped breathing, so she had come in to check and see if I was still alive. :D

It was unanimous among these women; sleeping with a fan on at night and is very bad for my health. And, that having direct air blown on me anytime is very, very bad. This includes while driving in my truck with the AC on. I realized that no amount arguing is going to make them change their minds. Sigh…… :toot:

Li and I have often had this discussion. She doesn't particularly like having a fan blowing on her. I do. I also like the white noise of a fan and have slept with one since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I have trouble sleeping without the fan and Li understands that is worse for my health than the fan.

So, I will give up anything for my baby, except maybe my fan! :toot:

Actually, with Li in the bed I don't aim the fan directly at the bed, but away from us. That way I have the noise, air is moving in the room, but the tornadic blast is not directly affecting us.

I grew up in the hills of West Virginia. My mom and grand mother always said we would die of pneumonia if we slept with a fan pointed at us. There's a lot to be said for "Foxfire" I believe this is the line of books that cover old hill folk medicine, and other things that pertain to life. Canning, gardening, that type of thing.

I grew up in the hills of West Virginia.  My mom and grand mother always said we would die of pneumonia if we slept with a fan pointed at us.  There's a lot to be said for "Foxfire"  I believe this is the line of books that cover old hill folk medicine, and other things that pertain to life.  Canning, gardening, that type of thing.

218597[/snapback]

The Foxfire Books are a great storehouse of Appalachian wisdom for sure.

But...

I ain't givin' up my fan, I don't care what Granny Clampett says. :) :unsure:

I grew up in the hills of West Virginia.  My mom and grand mother always said we would die of pneumonia if we slept with a fan pointed at us.  There's a lot to be said for "Foxfire"  I believe this is the line of books that cover old hill folk medicine, and other things that pertain to life.  Canning, gardening, that type of thing.

218597[/snapback]

The Foxfire Books are a great storehouse of Appalachian wisdom for sure.

But...

I ain't givin' up my fan, I don't care what Granny Clampett says. :P :hug:

218617[/snapback]

I know granny knew best,,so I went with central air :P

I agree - a fan is bad. BUT if you must have one, consider buying a timer that will turn it off after you fall asleep.

218630[/snapback]

Ya, then wake up an hour later sweatin' like a pig.

218670[/snapback]

I have heard of the danger of fans for sleeping people. Direct blow to an uncovered body is especially harmful.

Fan Death

Edited by Stone (see edit history)
Leiqin doesn’t like our bed.  Since her surgery she has preferred to sleep on our large, cushy sofa.  It is just as well, because I like to have a fan on me at night and she doesn’t.  Tuesday night, 3:40am, I am in a deep sleep and I am awoken with Leiqin standing over me with her hand on my face.  I am wondering what is going on.  I ask, what is she doing?  She mumbles something and walks away.  I am left in the dark with my fan turned off, wide awake, sweating and wondering what the heck just happened.  :huh: An hour later, I finally fall back to sleep only to have to get up for work a half hour after that.

Following Citizenship class last night, a group of students are staying after class and chatting.  Mary says that I look tired.  I tell her that, yes I am and tell her why.  She translates what I tell her to Leiqin and the other women overhear her.  The women pause and stare at me with bewildered looks.  Leiqin explains her side of the story to Mary.  Mary tells me that Chinese believe that persons who sleep with fans on are often found dead in the morning.  Leiqin was worried that I had stopped breathing, so she had come in to check and see if I was still alive. :huh:

It was unanimous among these women; sleeping with a fan on at night and is very bad for my health.  And, that having direct air blown on me anytime is very, very bad.  This includes while driving in my truck with the AC on.  I realized that no amount arguing is going to make them change their minds.  Sigh…… :)

218559[/snapback]

Dennis, I'm very glad that you survived the night :) :)

I don't think i could survive without the fan. I generally use the central air and the fan. I tend to use the fan yearround... I need the air on my face.

Oh man! July in Shang hai. :o

I ask Jie what the temp was in her apartment last night. Mmmm... 27 C

She said she will wear more clothes, and give me " cold hotel " ;)

Now that I think about it, Hmmm, more clothes is the opposite direction I want to go.

:roller: :roller: :roller: :lol:

I just love the window unit AC. Just like burning the back of my legs with the Dearborn heater in the winter.

I miss the old Swamp Coolers also. B)

Leiqin doesn’t like our bed.  Since her surgery she has preferred to sleep on our large, cushy sofa.  It is just as well, because I like to have a fan on me at night and she doesn’t.  Tuesday night, 3:40am, I am in a deep sleep and I am awoken with Leiqin standing over me with her hand on my face.  I am wondering what is going on.  I ask, what is she doing?  She mumbles something and walks away.  I am left in the dark with my fan turned off, wide awake, sweating and wondering what the heck just happened.  :angry: An hour later, I finally fall back to sleep only to have to get up for work a half hour after that.

Following Citizenship class last night, a group of students are staying after class and chatting.  Mary says that I look tired.  I tell her that, yes I am and tell her why.  She translates what I tell her to Leiqin and the other women overhear her.  The women pause and stare at me with bewildered looks.  Leiqin explains her side of the story to Mary.  Mary tells me that Chinese believe that persons who sleep with fans on are often found dead in the morning.  Leiqin was worried that I had stopped breathing, so she had come in to check and see if I was still alive. :(

It was unanimous among these women; sleeping with a fan on at night and is very bad for my health.  And, that having direct air blown on me anytime is very, very bad.   This includes while driving in my truck with the AC on.  I realized that no amount arguing is going to make them change their minds.  Sigh…… :helpsmilie:

218559[/snapback]

Dennis, I'm very glad that you survived the night :roller: :roller:

I don't think i could survive without the fan. I generally use the central air and the fan. I tend to use the fan yearround... I need the air on my face.

219445[/snapback]

Yes, I can relate. A fan is a man's best friend.

Well....almost. :D

Leiqin doesn’t like our bed.  Since her surgery she has preferred to sleep on our large, cushy sofa.  It is just as well, because I like to have a fan on me at night and she doesn’t.  Tuesday night, 3:40am, I am in a deep sleep and I am awoken with Leiqin standing over me with her hand on my face.  I am wondering what is going on.  I ask, what is she doing?  She mumbles something and walks away.  I am left in the dark with my fan turned off, wide awake, sweating and wondering what the heck just happened.  :angry: An hour later, I finally fall back to sleep only to have to get up for work a half hour after that.

Following Citizenship class last night, a group of students are staying after class and chatting.  Mary says that I look tired.  I tell her that, yes I am and tell her why.  She translates what I tell her to Leiqin and the other women overhear her.  The women pause and stare at me with bewildered looks.  Leiqin explains her side of the story to Mary.  Mary tells me that Chinese believe that persons who sleep with fans on are often found dead in the morning.  Leiqin was worried that I had stopped breathing, so she had come in to check and see if I was still alive. :(

It was unanimous among these women; sleeping with a fan on at night and is very bad for my health.  And, that having direct air blown on me anytime is very, very bad.  This includes while driving in my truck with the AC on.  I realized that no amount arguing is going to make them change their minds.  Sigh…… :)

218559[/snapback]

Dennis, I'm very glad that you survived the night :D :)

219445[/snapback]

Yes, I can relate. A fan is a man's best friend.

Well....almost. :D

219911[/snapback]

They both need each other. A fan needs a man to blow on. If a fan didn't have a man, there would be no need to blow. If a man didn't have a fan, he would have no way to keep cool. Man and fan are one with each other.

Is it bedtime yet? :Dah:

Oh, poor Dennis... forced to accept the attention of a fan in place of your wife :greenblob: Maybe you should ask her to blow on you instead? Oh, I hope no one takes that wrong...