Locking all doors

During the night my wife will check all the doors and make sure they are locked. Even though the garage door and the basement door leading the garage are locked, she wants to lock the door leading to the basement. During the day when I go out to do yard work, she would make sure all locks are secured. When I try to go back to the house, I would need to open two or three locks to get in. We live in the suburb (not city). Thus, she worries too much. I guess people in China have big locks (or gate) on their home.

Does your SO act the same?

No. If leaving home for just a short time (grocery shopping etc) we leave the door unlocked. On some occasions, I have come home to find the backdoor unlocked, when she’s been out most of the day. Probably would be prudent of us to lock up, even for short trips out, but locking the doors behind me, when I’m only outside briefly? No.

She used to worry a lot more than she does now about our neighbors (“Outside peopleâ€), from modesty to trust issues she has relaxed considerably these last 6 months.

Our condo in Nanjing had a rented door! The doorman came and collected the rent on just the door. But it was good. Had a round key with four prongs sticking our and it operated at least 6 dead bolts and was steel

I always thoughtit was to keep the govt out but the guy we rented it from was former party member.

But here, no problem with her worrying but the crime rate has been going up with the influx of illegal aliens but they are not hitting homes.

My wife is somewhat concerned about locking up, but she is starting to mellow out a bit.

Last night she explained to me that when she lived on the first floor of a building she was washing her hair and thought she heard a noise but didn't investigate it. Then she heard the TV and decided to check it out, someone was laying on her bed watching TV. She screamed at him and he bolted, but not without taking her cell phone.

My wife was asleep once in China in a first floor house and was awakened a little and partly opened her eyes to see some of her clothing dancing over her head... :P A thief had a long bamboo pole and was "fishing" clothing, and whatever else he could reach through the barred but open window... :P Gotta' be careful in China... :roller:

I just try to be careful and use common sense when it comes to locking up here. Now her door at her home is like a fortress to a bank vault. But then all the ones I saw in her area were like that too.

She always reminds me to close the windows at night in case bad people are around after dark. She is very safty conscious, even though I never saw a concern when I was there.

She also like the fact that we have 2, 100 pound grumpy dogs here that think it is their birth right to patrol and protect the house. :roller:

I guess I dont worry about locking the door because I haev a 44 Magnum just waiting to test Colorado's 'Make my day' law.

218230[/snapback]

make my day law or not, you plug someone, you go to jail. WA has a similar law, but you pop an intruder, you will spend time in jail. I had a friend who was an attorney who found that out the hard way. This said attorney was a naturalized brit who happened to have been 'involved' for 4 years in No. Ireland during 'those' days. Not sure if he was S.A.S. or not, but it wasn't an ordinary unit. That crook that broke into his house... chose... poorly...

For the record, I have a sidearm and the missus will learn to use it because I do travel for work on occasion. I live in a tiny town and the only crimes are the one meth lab we once had, a few potheads, and people stealing CDs out of unlocked cars parked on the street. I lock all my doors, and I don't see the need to tempt fate or take any chances.

Edited by mercator (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
I guess I dont worry about locking the door because I haev a 44 Magnum just waiting to test Colorado's 'Make my day' law.

218230[/snapback]

make my day law or not, you plug someone, you go to jail. WA has a similar law, but you pop an intruder, you will spend time in jail. I had a friend who was an attorney who found that out the hard way. This said attorney was a naturalized brit who happened to have been 'involved' for 4 years in No. Ireland during 'those' days. Not sure if he was S.A.S. or not, but it wasn't an ordinary unit. That crook that broke into his house... chose... poorly...

For the record, I have a sidearm and the missus will learn to use it because I do travel for work on occasion. I live in a tiny town and the only crimes are the one meth lab we once had, a few potheads, and people stealing CDs out of unlocked cars parked on the street. I lock all my doors, and I don't see the need to tempt fate or take any chances.

218268[/snapback]

In Florida, guns are for protection. If someone enters your home without permission, first look and check to see if it's the cat, then shoot. Good riddance....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5042501553.html

Guest pushbrk

218230[/snapback]

218268[/snapback]

In Florida, guns are for protection. If someone enters your home without permission, first look and check to see if it's the cat, then shoot. Good riddance....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5042501553.html

218278[/snapback]

Texas kind of one-ups Florida in that regard. In Texas it's open season on carjackers. You have the right to carry a gun in your vehicle and shoot anybody who invades it when you are present, just like if it were your home.

I'm only vaguely familiar with the Washington laws but when I met my WA buddy to help me move from TX, and brought my 380Auto carry gun to his pickup, there was already a 380auto carry gun and a BIG 9mm under the armrest.

I think part of the reason the Chinese lock their doors more now than a generation ago is simply because they now have stuff they think might be worth stealing.