Hello! A question, if I may...

Greetings all!

Found this site while searching around - very informative. Wish I had found it a couple months ago. *chuckle*

I'm in the middle of a K-1 application for my SO (P3 returned), and everything has been fairly smooth up to this point. Looking at what's been posted, my only concern now is that I have only been over to China one time to be with her.

First, how much of a "red flag" is that? What additional things should we have for the interview because of it?

If it is a huge problem that has any chance of causing a denial, I can go over for the interview. I would prefer not too, as I'd like to save my vacation days for when she's here, but I don't want to take any chances. Would that even help at all?

Thanks so much!

Mike

My (rough) timeline, if you'd like to add it to the spreadsheet:

K-1:

NOA1: 11/17/05

NOA2 (from CSC): 2/16/06

Out from NVC: 3/7/06

P3 received: 5/14/06

P3 returned: 5/15/06

One visit, by itself, is not a red flag, however, she may possibly be asked about it, and then again, she may not. Answering the question honestly and confidently should overcome it. Generally, you are trying to prove that this is a bonafide relationship, and a couple can have a bonafide relationship even though only one meeting was possible.

If you cannot make it to the interview, be prepared to answer questions about why only one visit, as well as others about the relationship.

However, in my opinion, using a few vacation days to be there for the interview for support may far outweigh using them when she is here.

Mike Welcome to Candle!! Your time line and mine are almost the same. Last one to interview date buys the first round...haha. Just kidding. Anyway to answer your question, it is only required to meet once. However, it certainly does not hurt to go over to see her more than that. I hope you got pictures of you two together. In addition, you should keep a copy of your airline boarding passes, telephone records, emails, MSN/Yahoo type stuff and anything else that she can show the VO at time of interview that you two have indeed a bona fide relationship. Again, welcome to Candle!!! :yahoo:

NOTE: If you need a private chef to prepare a romantic dinner for the two of you at your next visit to China ...please let me know....Airline ticket for me to get to China is the only payment acceptable.....lol :yahoo:

Yes, I agree with the earlier comments, one visit is technically only required but it is the "totality" of the evidence that will satisfy the Consulate that you and your friend have a legimate relationship. Advice is to organize your emails, chats, phone calls, pictures, plane tickets, letters, postcards , etc. to present a total picture of you relationship ...

Yes, I agree with the earlier comments, one visit is technically only required but it is the "totality" of the evidence that will satisfy the Consulate that you and your friend have a legimate relationship. Advice is to organize your emails, chats, phone calls, pictures, plane tickets, letters, postcards , etc. to present a total picture of you relationship ...

216965[/snapback]

Hi Mike,

I too have only been to see my fiancee one time. It won't create a problem for you provided you show proof of your on going relationship. I will submit a letter explaining my circumstances and beg the Embassy's forgiveness. In addition I will be submitting stacks of emails, etc. showing proof of our daily communication and desire to be husband and wife. I actually made plans to marry my SO during my visit, but was advised by my paid advisor that a I-129F would enable us to be together faster than if we filed as being a married couple. I think just send as much amplification data as you can. Have your SO as educated as you can about you, your family and children if you have any. Names, locations, dates of deaths, etc. There is a very good post on here listing a lot of the questions one of the ladies was asked. I learned a lot from this posting and I am sure you will also.

Good Luck

Gary (Port Saint Lucie,Florida) Li Bao (Huhhot) K1

Met on line, December of 2005

August 3rd - August 24th 2005 with Sherry (Beijing and Huhhot)

September 26th submitted I-129F (California)

October 14th 2005 NOA1 received

January 5, 2006 NOA2 received approved

January 24, 2006 NVC approves and forwards I-129F to GUZ

April 28, 2006 P3 received

May 01, 2006 P3 couriered to GUZ

I would venture to say that probably half of the people going for a K-1 visa have only been to China once.

As others have said organizing information for the interview is a great thing to do. Don't try to load her down with 50# of paper to carry to the interview, but you want to demonstrate that you have an ongoing relationship with a sampling of emails, phone records, photos taken when you were together and proof of your travel to China. A photocopy of your passport and Chinese visa pages to show with your boarding passes is a good idea.

If you wish you could write a brief letter to the VO explaining that you wish you could be there, but have discussed this with your fiancée and have decided it would be better to save your vacation time for when she arrives to help with her adjustment to her new home. B)

Keep it brief and don't go overboard on making justifying statements, just an explanation of your intentions. You don't want to cause them to ask for a letter from your boss because of some statement you make in this letter. :ph34r:

Guest pushbrk
I would venture to say that probably half of the people going for a K-1 visa have only been to China once.

As others have said organizing information for the interview is a great thing to do. Don't try to load her down with 50# of paper to carry to the interview, but you want to demonstrate that you have an ongoing relationship with a sampling of emails, phone records, photos taken when you were together and proof of your travel to China. A photocopy of your passport and Chinese visa pages to show with your boarding passes is a good idea.

If you wish you could write a brief letter to the VO explaining that you wish you could be there, but have discussed this with your fiancée and have decided it would be better to save your vacation time for when she arrives to help with her adjustment to her new home.  :)

Keep it brief and don't go overboard on making justifying statements, just an explanation of your intentions. You don't want to cause them to ask for a letter from your boss because of some statement you make in this letter.  :yahoo:

216985[/snapback]

If it weren't for the fact that we have entirely too many Mike's hanging round this place at the moment, I too would welcome you. :yahoo:

You've received good advice so far about providing plenty of various varieties of proof of your relationship. I doubt another visit at interview time will make or break the outcome.

When you've read some more about the various ways to prepare and kind of evidence, you might find it useful to post a description of what you have and/or plan to add. With more specifics it will be easy to provide suggestions for improvement, if needed.

Cool - thanks for the warm (and quick!) welcome. :yahoo:

Regarding the paperwork to send - it sounds like most of it is the same as what was submitted with the original I-129F. Does the consulate get that set of paperwork (from the NVC), or should I reprint those pictures/emails etc?

I'm gathering everything up right now - will post a list when I think it's ready to go, to see what you guys think is missing.

Thanks again!

Mike

Welcome aboard :yahoo:   Copies, copies, copies, of everything you do, untill you get her here :yahoo:

217009[/snapback]

Yes...this is most important to keep copies of everything. Yes again, to the question if everything that you submitted to USCIS will go to GZ as well. So, all you need to do is show additional contact info for when she has her interview. Select a couple of phone bills or emails that kind of things. If you are communicating with each other through an IM method and have a web cam attachment, you can take a snap shot picture of the two of you for further submission at interview time. Good luck!!!

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

What was provided with the I-129F was a "Proof of Meeting" and for the interview you need to show "Proof of Relationship".

These are 2 very different things, we had a small album with about 20 different pictures from our time together in China. (It doesn't hurt to have these printed with the date stamp on the picture.) Pictures of you with the family in China are always good too.

I bound our emails into a folder and took a sampling of what we had written over the 10 months of waiting. Probably 20-30 emails is enough, they are meant to show you have been writing to each other over a period of time and the relationship is ongoing.

Since you will probably not be there make a photocopy of your passport and visa page with the entry and exit stamps and then you can have a notary witness you signing off on the copy as being a "True Copy" of your passport.

Of course my wife had a copy of every piece of paper that had been submitted in the process and an extra set of all the Chinese notarized documents and a certified copy of my birth certificate.

I put all of this together in a plastic see-through folder that had about 6 separators so things could be easily organized and retrieved fast. It was about 2 inches thick when we finished.

Do not have anything thicker than 1 inch in the folder as the windows at the consulate are like the high security gas stations and you only have a limited amount of space to pass something through to the VO.

With your Affidavit of Support you want to keep it simple, if your income for last year exceeds the minimum of 16k it is best to only use income alone for this. You will need a letter from your employer as defined in the I-134 instructions. Each piece of evidence is supposed to have 2 copies.

It is also a real good idea for her to have a copy of your 2003 & 2004 tax returns.

You just need to be prepared for the interview to last 3-5 minutes and remind her that the best interviews start with her going to the window with a BIG smile on her face and saying "Good morning" to the VO. Smiles are contagious and they don't get to see too many of them and it is always good to get things started on a good note. Recent reports have validated that beginning the interview in a happy and friendly manner seems to make a difference.

There is one more thing you need to get started on once you get this stuff off to her and that is get started cleaning the house, it will never be clean enough when she arrives, but you get brownie points for effort. :D

Let the training begin. :(

I'm a firm believer in going to the interview if at all possible. My wife's first interview resulted in a blue slip on the basis of communication. I too wanted to save my vacation time for a honeymoon once she was here. I ended up having to fly to China to make a video of us talking together. Being at the interview is not a surefire way to get approval but it does tell the VO you are commited enough to the relationship to make the trip. It also allows you to be able to submit additional evidence easier. Most important of all it will be a huge comfort to your loved one to be there to give support during a very stressful ordeal.

Good luck.

Cool - thanks for the warm (and quick!) welcome. :P

Regarding the paperwork to send - it sounds like most of it is the same as what was submitted with the original I-129F.  Does the consulate get that set of paperwork (from the NVC), or should I reprint those pictures/emails etc?

I'm gathering everything up right now - will post a list when I think it's ready to go, to see what you guys think is missing.

Thanks again!

Mike

217004[/snapback]

It seems like the consulate gets the entire file. Jie was shocked that the VO was reading (at the interview in February) the 'relationship letter' we wrote the past July. We came with a whole armful of new evidence, but that letter was key.

She did agree to see some pictures, which Jie had, and my I-134.

Its different for everyone, the key is, as mentioned, keep copies of everything , and bring proof of your relationship that you accumulate as time goes by. Pics, emails, phone records, etc

A belated welcome to CFL. Like the others, I thought it important that I be with Jingwen at the interview, but having been to China only once should not, in and of itself, cause a denial.

If you do go, your SO will be able to respond to the VO's question regarding how many times you've visited her by saying "twice, once on such and such a date and this week...he's here today waiting for me. Would you like to see his passport?" :angry:

If you really can't go, then I would prep my SO with an explanation that would demonstrate how well she knows you. Something like "he really wanted to come, but he works for such and such and only has x weeks of vacation. We both decided that it would be better for us if he saved his remaining vacation for when I arrive in the US."

Good luck.