A letter from Petitoner really needed?

Folks,

Is it really necessary for the petitioner to write a letter to VO?

My wife mentioned to me that she read the interview experience at 001 that several people brought the letters to the interview. Is it a good idea? Under what circumstances should a petitioner write a letter and what should be on the letter?

Thanks a lot for your input and comments...)

Folks,

Is it really necessary for the petitioner to write a letter to VO?

My wife mentioned to me that she read the interview experience at 001 that several people brought the letters to the interview. Is it a good idea? Under what circumstances should a petitioner write a letter and what should be on the letter?

Thanks a lot for your input and comments...)

216281[/snapback]

Necessary? No. Important? Yes.

In our case, we did not bring a letter to the interview...we submitted letter from each of us with the I-129F, to answer the question on the app about how met and why we want to marry.

In the interview, the VO focused on my letter, asked her questions based on my letter, and approved the visa. I have heard of others bringing a letter to the interview detailing the relationship and I believe it worked. If you did not do this with the I-129F, then I dont see any harm in bringing one to the interview.

Guest pushbrk
Required? no, but hell it can't hurt.

216287[/snapback]

I intend to provide a cover letter outlining our relationship and listing the supporting documentation my wife has in her possession. I WANT the VO to read this, so he knows I'm involved and we are prepared.

Such a letter is not required.

A letter is very important, but the petitioner should be careful to not make statements in the letter that can not be verified from the information in the file.

I recall one letter where the petitioner stated they were unable to come to the interview because they did not have any vacation time left. Apparently, he was quiet emphatic about it and they got a blue slip requesting a letter from his employer validating the statement on the letter. :(

I suspect the visa would have been issued if not for the statement made in the letter. The secret is not to introduce anything that the VO might see as suspicious.

I think this is only playing a sentimental card from the deck.. I'm not sure that this will sway a VO...

I know that a few people have reported the VO refusing to see it.. taking the stance of "if I want it, I'll ask for it"... (same issue applies when the beneficiary tries to give the USC passport and the VO refuses it--some will take it and some will not).

I never saw this as an important issue for my case. I felt we had covered all our bases for the interview.

But, the couple should do what they feel is important to do for their case.. If one wants to do it, then just do it. Just be prepared that they may or may not want to read it... Lee provides great advice as well...

Guest pushbrk
I have told my hubby to do the same too, and he said he would write to let the VO know how much he loves his bossy and bi-polar wife. Oh, By the way does this letter need to be notarized too?

216471[/snapback]

Since the letter is not required, it is not required to be notarized. Notarizing means something entirely different in the USA. For the most part the Notary only attests to who signed a document. It can't hurt and generally costs little if anything. Your SO's bank or insurance agent is likely to do it for free.

I probably won't have mine notarized because I plan to have it list everything my wife has with her as supporting documentation. This may change at the last minute. I'll just email the document and let her print it and take it with her without a signature. Of course, if I'm with her in Guangzhou at the time, I'll sign it.

I have told my hubby to do the same too, and he said he would write to let the VO know how much he loves his bossy and bi-polar wife. Oh, By the way does this letter need to be notarized too?

216471[/snapback]

I would personally notarize any document that I wrote and signed intended for the VO to read...

I understand that mike is describing something a little different and possibly needing last minute changes...

but I'm not sure I would do a 'list letter'.. unless it was more for only my SOs use... something feels like, if the VO saw it, the VO could suddenly ask for anything off of it and this depends on the SO being able to weed through everything to pull out the right item. I'd keep it real simple for your SO... you want this to be a slam dunk , not a search and rescue

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

I have a list document. If the VO sees it, I am not worried. My wife has a 24 slot flexible file that folds into a suitcase and each of the 24 file slots is outlined with what is in it, in English and my version of Chinese (I did my best :greenblob: ). My wife can scan the document by heading, or look for the specific document slot and then provide the information in a few seconds. She works as a clerk now anyway, so pushing paper is something she is very good at.

I am not sure I will include a letter yet or not. I think if I did, it would just be a smarmy diatribe about how wonderful she is and how I can't believe fate and God have been so kind to me.

I wrote a letter and sent it in with my SO. I basically said that I was down stairs in the coffee shop and and if there was a need to answer any questions,please don't hesitate to summons me. I also gave a brief desciption of our relationship and how we met, when I first came to china and that I love my SO and plan on supporting her forever. If it helped any, I am not sure. But my SO was confident and was ready for any type of questions the VO would throw at her. She passed..

Carl