GUZ VO Impropriety?

My SO reports to me the following from her reading of 001: Apparently a male VO at GUZ has obtained telephone numbers of young female K1 beneficiaries and following the interview, has called them for a "date." (My word, not hers.) She identified two specific incidents with two different beneficiaries reported on 001, both within the last month. The girls are afraid to say anything because they are worried about denial of their K1 petitions.

Of course, neither my SO or I know if the 001 reports are true. Perhaps some of you who read Chinese better than I, or have SO's who are fluent bilinguals, can read 001 to obtain more information. (Or can correct my SO and my understanding of the reports.)

It is my opinion that the majority of the folks working at GUZ are very diligent and professional in what they do. Certainly if one person is attempting to abuse his power, it does not reflect on the good people at GUZ, but if the allegations are true, I think management at GUZ would probably want to know.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Any such allegation is very serious, and yes, if not handled carefully could backfire. If in fact true, it should be reported to the Consulate General, but one should have evidence of such an event. Accusing someone of this kind of behavior without evidence would not likely be a good thing.

With the abundance of beautiful Chinese women in GZ, I dont see why VO would even attempt something with woman who are probably too far away in another city and already have a man. Even if someone was a pervert, it just wouldnt make sense.

I would doubt the stories too.

Guest pushbrk
With the abundance of beautiful Chinese women in GZ, I dont see why VO would even attempt something with woman who are probably too far away in another city and already have a man. Even if someone was a pervert, it just wouldnt make sense.

216280[/snapback]

I'm sure a lot of the applicants are from Guangzhou or nearby but that's not my concern. Of course it doesn't make sense for a sane human with a good government job, to jeopardize his career and future by engaging in such behavior.

I think it's more likely that somebody is simply lieing. Perhaps the person making the call is lieing about who they are.

Another concern is that the "story" says these calls were made AFTER the interiew, so either the visa is already granted or there is a blue slip to overcome. If the visa has been issued, there is NO REASON not to report any facts including the phone number from which the call was received, to the Consul General's office.

216280[/snapback]

What you say does make sense, however, I work in a govenment office and I have seen this happen. The welfare worker was in a position to grant or deny welfare applications. In other words, he had power and control over each client in that regard. He was caught when he tried to use that power to (you know what). He told the applicant that he would make it worth her while if she would (fill in the blanks). He would make sure she got approved. Eventually, he was fired. My point is that I know these things do happen and there are always people who will abuse their authority. If this story is true, the man will be caught. :whistling:

If the woman has information like the name of the person at the consulate who is making these calls it would be appropriate to write to the Consul General in Guangzhou asking that they have their employee stop calling them.

Edward Dong, U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

No. 1 Shamian Street South

Guangzhou 510133

Phone: 020-8121-8000

Fax: 020-8121-9001

It would be good if they could provide the date and time of the call from the person. It is very improper for a VO to contact a visa applicant outside of the visa process and the Consul General will take action to see that this behavior stops immediately.

If she is fearful of a problem with her visa, she could ask her SO to write concerning this after she arrives in the US.

Please be assured this is improper and the Consul would be grateful to know of this type of problem and will correct it.

OK now, everyone that believes every thing they hear from 001 raise their hands.

216291[/snapback]

I wouldn't say that, but if this happened, I for one would like to see it stopped sooner rather than later.

Improprieties by government employees are not unheard of either.

If the woman has information like the name of the person at the consulate who is making these calls it would be appropriate to write to the Consul General in Guangzhou asking that they have their employee stop calling them.

Guangzhou 510133

It would be good if they could provide the date and time of the call from the person. It is very improper for a VO to contact a visa applicant outside of the visa process and the Consul General will take action to see that this behavior stops immediately.

If she is fearful of a problem with her visa, she could ask her SO to write concerning this after she arrives in the US.

Please be assured this is improper and the Consul would be grateful to know of this type of problem and will correct it.

216289[/snapback]

IF IF IF it's true...

- a phone log showing the phone number would be great evidence that the call actually happened..

- repeat offenses usually get more action.. they should coordinate their efforts and see if others have had this occur...

Guangzhou 510133

216289[/snapback]

IF IF IF it's true...

- a phone log showing the phone number would be great evidence that the call actually happened..

- repeat offenses usually get more action.. they should coordinate their efforts and see if others have had this occur...

216306[/snapback]

These allegations are very serious.

I would add my support to David's recommendations. Sure, "It can happen", much to the embarrassment and shame all of the Professionals on the Consulate staff.

But I also wish to add this: Either file a formal complaint with as much detailed information as mentioned above OR the subject should be dropped.