Third time no charm!

Sorry to hear about this Ski. In fact, I am more than sorry. I am outraged. :angry:

It just sickens me to hear of cases like this and the ignorant reasons they give for refusing the visa. The age difference thingie is the most ridiculous one of all. You would think that the legitimacy of your relationship had already been established by the granting of a visa to your wife, not to mention her AOS.

I agree that racism plays a role, but I also think these kinds of rejections reflect the lack of compassion, the lack of understanding and the downright lack of sensitivity on the part of those vested with the power to grant or deny a family visa. Ever since our government pulled us all through a maze of keyholes back in the Black Hole days, I have lost all faith in the leadership of this country. I am not being political here. The idiotic acts I, and many others, endured went down both sides of the aisle.

I wonder how, for example, in your case, they justify denying a visa because your wife is an only child in a country that has a one-child policy!!!!

Secondly, I think it is high time these folks did a little revised thinking. China is no longer a "developing country." The standard of living for many folks, especially in the cities, is not so different from ours. I lived over there for five plus years and can state without reservation, that in many ways life was far easier and less stressful than what I experience here in the States.

I wish you well in your discussions and contacts with Congressional folks, but I have little faith these days. I know some of the newer members of the board will think I am being overly negative and I apologize if I seem that way. But believe me folks, what many of us endured at the hands of our government during 2002-03 was beyond belief and inexcusable.

Sorry for the rant Ski. I feel for you and wish you success. It's just that in light of all of this hoopla about illegal immigration, whenever some one tries to obey the law and do it the right way, to see them get slapped down pisses me off to no end. :angry: :angry: :angry: B)

I need a Valium!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first shot....

Dear Senator McCain, May 17, 2006

On Monday May 8th, my wife's parents had their interviews for tourist visas. It was the third time she has applied and the second time he has applied. The total cost has now been $500. just to have interviews. They are given different excuses each time but they have met all the published requirements so it is apparent that the sole reason they do not get visas is that the U.S. Government is afraid that they will over stay their visas and become illegal aliens.

Now you want to give amnesty (I have a dictionary) to the very people who have caused this problem for my family members.

Senator, like you I can remember the period after WW2 and how great our co9untry was then and how patriotic people felt. Like you I served in the military. However, I am how ashamed to be an American as we continue to do the biding of the Mexican president and the mobs in the streets. Just so you can have your strawberries and lettuce picked.

You used to be my hero for surviving all those years in a Vietnam prison and continuing to serve your country in Congress. I even donated to your 2000 presidential bid.

Why are you selling our country to Mexico? Do you realize what 30 million more people will do to our country? Have you given any thought to having Puerto Ricans come and pick your veggies/ They have about a 10% rate of unemployment and they are Americans. We do not need to deport anyone, just fine the employers of illegal aliens and most will go home. There is no need to break up families as the children born here are free to go with their parents.

The Federal Government needs to do its job or the problems get larger. This issue is a prime example of that and now because you failed to do your job, you are asking all Americans to sacrifice.

Sincerely,

Gerald W.Dobert

Dillon, Co.

The first shot....

Dear Senator McCain,                                                      May 17, 2006

On Monday May 8th, my wife's parents had their interviews for  tourist visas. It was the third time she has applied and the second time he has applied. The total cost has now been $500. just to have interviews. They are given different excuses each time but they have met all the published requirements so it is apparent that the sole reason they do not get visas is that the U.S. Government is afraid that they will over stay their visas and become illegal aliens.

Now you want to give amnesty (I have a dictionary) to the very people who have caused this problem for my family members.

Senator, like you I can remember the period after WW2 and how great our co9untry was then and how patriotic people felt. Like you I served in the military. However, I am how ashamed to be an American as we continue to do the biding of the Mexican president and the  mobs in the streets. Just so you can have your strawberries and lettuce picked.

You used to be my hero for surviving all those years in a Vietnam prison and continuing to serve your country in Congress. I even donated to your 2000 presidential bid.

Why are you selling our  country to Mexico? Do you realize what 30 million more people will do to our country? Have you given any thought to having Puerto Ricans come and pick your veggies/ They have about a 10% rate of unemployment and they are Americans. We do not need to deport  anyone, just fine the employers of illegal aliens and most will go home. There is no need to break up families as the children born here are free to go with their parents.

The Federal Government needs to do its job or the problems get larger. This  issue is a prime example of that and now because you failed to do your job, you are asking all Americans to sacrifice.

Sincerely,

Gerald W.Dobert

Dillon, Co.

215769[/snapback]

Great letter, Ski. Hope you get a positive response. Please keep us posted.

Mick,

Some of the things you brought, I have covered in other letters at other times. I am starting to get good ayt this stuff. Your rants are always welcomeI

I never expect to get any more than an automated response from a Senator.

Ski

Mick,

Some of the things you brought, I have covered in other letters at other times. I am starting to get good ayt this stuff. Your rants are always welcomeI

Ski

216054[/snapback]

Hang in there Ski, and keep plugging away at them. One of the lessons we all learned in the Black Hole was that being persistent does finally pay off.

My heart goes out to you and your wife ski.

I would love to be able to bring my new 70ish mother in law here in the future . My wife would want her here for the time we hope to be having a child in. Moms life is in China. My wife tells me she thinks her mother wouldn't want to try this anyway at her age. but it would still be nice to have the option. This wonderful lady has her life, and all the rest of their extensive family, on or near the farm. She would only want to be here for the special occasion. Not to mention, to know in her heart and mind, that her precious daughter is being well taken care of.

I don't understand some of the logic in their denials. They know where you live. Do they think you will buy another house to hide the family members in? Is it so unbelievable that "SOME ONE" can resist the urge to stay in America? Why don't they deny all tourist visa, won't "they" want to stay also?

I've been studying this whole process for over a year now. I have yet to see but one or two things that actually made some sense. This is the most screwed up Gov. agency I have ever seen in my entire life.

Please God , Help us all

:)

Edited by obxtrainman (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
Mick,

Ski

216054[/snapback]

Ski, I would both email a copy of your letter, and send a hard copy via snail mail. Send it CMRR, or Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. It may cost about two bucks, but it's well worth the extra attention it receives. I noticed one typo that won't show up in a spell check....

"biding" vs "bidding"

other than that, a very well composed letter.....

Guest pushbrk
The first shot....

Dear Senator McCain,                                                      May 17, 2006

On Monday May 8th, my wife's parents had their interviews for  tourist visas. It was the third time she has applied and the second time he has applied. The total cost has now been $500. just to have interviews. They are given different excuses each time but they have met all the published requirements so it is apparent that the sole reason they do not get visas is that the U.S. Government is afraid that they will over stay their visas and become illegal aliens.

Now you want to give amnesty (I have a dictionary.) to the very people who have caused this problem for my family members.

Senator, like you I can remember the period after WW2 and how great our country was then and how patriotic people felt. Like you, I served in the military. However, I am how ashamed to be an American as we continue to do the bidding of the Mexican president and the mobs in the streets, just so you can have your strawberries and lettuce picked.

Why are you selling our  country to Mexico? Do you realize what 30 million more people will do to our country? Have you given any thought to having Puerto Ricans come and pick your veggies? They have about a 10% rate of unemployment and they are Americans. We do not need to deport anyone, just fine the employers of illegal aliens and most will go home. There is no need to break up families as the children born here are free to go with their parents.

The Federal Government needs to do its job or the problems get larger. This issue is a prime example of that and now because you failed to do your job, you are asking all Americans to sacrifice.

Sincerely,

Gerald W.Dobert

Dillon, Co.

215769[/snapback]

Ski,

I agree that sending a hard copy, return receipt requested, would be a good idea and get more attention. I've even taken the liberty of editing three or four spelling and punctuation errors that showed up in you post of the letter.

However, even though your thoughts and feelings are well stateed, I don't see this letter helping your relatives specifically. Senator McCain is not from your State and you haven't asked him to intervene. I take it the purpose of this particular letter is to get the Senator's attention and I would think that goal would be accomplished.

The first shot....

Senator, like you I can remember the period after WW2 and how great our co9untry was then and how patriotic people felt. Like you I served in the military. However, I am how ashamed to be an American as we continue to do the biding of the Mexican president and the  mobs in the streets. Just so you can have your strawberries and lettuce picked.

Why are you selling our  country to Mexico? Do you realize what 30 million more people will do to our country? Have you given any thought to having Puerto Ricans come and pick your veggies/ They have about a 10% rate of unemployment and they are Americans. We do not need to deport  anyone, just fine the employers of illegal aliens and most will go home. There is no need to break up families as the children born here are free to go with their parents.

The Federal Government needs to do its job or the problems get larger. This  issue is a prime example of that and now because you failed to do your job, you are asking all Americans to sacrifice.

Sincerely,

Gerald W.Dobert

Dillon, Co.

215769[/snapback]

If you have the bucks make it an "open letter" by publishing it in a newspaper.

Good luck to you and your family.

Guest ShaQuaNew
If you have the bucks make it an "open letter" by publishing it in a newspaper.

Good luck to you and your family.

216330[/snapback]

This is a very good idea. There are a number of newspapers in the US that would publish that letter on their op-ed pages. Especially today with immigration in the news, it might be a good idea to check out google and search for small and large newspapers in your area. Send a copy of your letter to each one. One of them will certainly print it.

Push, I did not write McCain to get him help me, but to make him aware of other problems illegal aliens make for us. All a Senator can to is to ask the consulate "whats up with this?"

Here is volley 2 and I would appreciate your commemts.

May 25, 2006

227 Sunlight Drive

Dillon, Colorado

Mr. Christopher S. Machin

Acting Consular Section Chief

United States Consulate

1038 West Nanjing Road

Westgate Mall, 8th floor

Shanghai 200041

China

Dear Mr. Machin:

On the 11th of July of last year, you were kind enough to communicate with my Senator, Senator Allard, regarding the failure of my mother –in-law, Dr. XX Zhilan to get a tourist visa. This was the second time she had applied for a tourist visa, the first time being a year prior when she applied with her husband XXXJie. At that time, they were told that they did not have enough ties to China to ensure that they would return to China before their visa expired. This is the reason she applied alone the second time.

The second time she was told that, among other things, that since I was ill and she was a Doctor, there were afraid that she would overstay her visa to care for me. I have stated this issues in the copy of a letter that I sent to Mr. Bangert (attached) of your Consulate on September 1, 2005.

On may 8th of this year, XX and XXX applied again as they had traveled out of China and hoped that would show that they would leave and return. They were denied once again. I had furnished a list of their ties to China (attached) for the Officer to see. It has become evident that they met all the requirement for tourist visas as the Officer, a woman working at window 11, decided that my marriage with my wife was a sham because of our age difference, so they could not get visas.

This news struck to the hearts of my in-laws and hurt us terribly when we found out. It is discouraging to know that this Officer does not know enough about the K visa process to know that my wife had an interview in Guangzhou before she was given her K1 visa. Nor does the Officer know that we both went to her Green card interview in Denver and were approved. This Officer also wondered why my wife had not returned to China in the three years since she left.

I have enclosed several posts that I have made to www.candleforlove.com web site. This is a highly regarded message board that deals with Chinese/American relationships and is used by the Consulate in Guangzhou to communicate with us. Also attached is a paper my wife wrote for her college English composition course. These documents will show why we are so upset with the Officer and will show that she is not quite the psychic that she thinks she is. I hope you will read them and forward them to the Officer with the request that she write apologies to both my in-laws (in Chinese please) and to my wife and myself. I think that you will have to agree that her statements were far out of bounds and unwarranted.

My wife is currently in China visiting as she has a three week break between semesters. This is the first break she has had in the three years she has been here As a result of this last denial, we have to accept the fact that for some reason the U.S. government does not want them to visit here. We are all very sorry that they will also miss her graduation from the University of Colorado in two years.

Sincerely,

The Candle posts I am sending are True love and 3years.

Ski

Guest pushbrk
Push, I did not write McCain to get him help me, but to make him aware of other problems illegal aliens make for us. All a Senator can to is to ask the consulate "whats up with this?"

Here is volley 2 and I would appreciate your commemts.

216377[/snapback]

This is excellent and needs no editing. The letter does indicate you've given up. I probably would have given him a more open door to give you some reason to think applying again would end in success.

Guest pushbrk
2nd paragraph, "this issues".

Change to "these issues" if more than 1 issue.

Change to "this issue" if only 1 issue.

This is only my opinion, the rest looks great.

I also agree with Mike, leave the door open.

216410[/snapback]

Oh, silly me. I kind of skipped over this paragraph. It's a mess. ;-)

"The second time she was told that, among other things, that since I was ill and she was a Doctor, there were afraid that she would overstay her visa to care for me. I have stated this issues in the copy of a letter that I sent to Mr. Bangert (attached) of your Consulate on September 1, 2005."

I would write it this way.

The second time, she was told among other things, that since I was ill and she was a Doctor, they were afraid she would overstay her visa to care for me. I addressed these issues in detail in a letter I sent to Mr. Bangert (copy attached) of your Consulate on September 1, 2005.

==================================

Where your letter loses power is when you say "among other things" without giving any indication what they were. For all the reader knows, the "other things" were valid compelling reasons you chose to discount in favor of harping on the one you disagreed with. Actually, her overstay to take care of you is a reasonable concern. At the time, the outcome of your illness was unknown and it certainly is the kind of thing a concerned relative would consider doing.

This is simply an objective opinion from an observer who doesn't have all the facts but your addressee doesn't have all the facts either. He is at the mercy of what you write.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

Thanks all. Many of the issues are discussed in the letters I am enclosing such as the letter from one from and to Ms.O'Connell at visa services in DC. I did not see the need to state something again. I really appreciate your comments.

We agreed that this last attempt would be their lsst attempt and will go the immigration route next, maybe. It just seems like a lot of work just for a visit.

To be reconsidered a new application has to filled out and the money paid again. Already $500 in the hole and I know when to quit. They say you can file as long as you have a change in the situation. My mother in law is too old to have another kid and I think that is the only thing that would change anything.

I would think about moving to Mexico but the income requirements to get permany residence are pretty high!!