Visas for family

Does anyone know the chances of my wife's mother and father obtaining visas from China when my wife has our child?

Any thing(s) we could do to enhance the chances?

Yes, for those who remember us and our long two year wait to obtain my wife's visa, we are expecting....or I should say my wife is expecting our son this September :huh:

Guest pushbrk
Does anyone know the chances of my wife's mother and father obtaining visas from China when my wife has our child?

Yes, for those who remember us and our long two year wait to obtain my wife's visa, we are expecting....or I should say my wife is expecting our son this September  :huh:

211942[/snapback]

Slim and none. The chances of both receiving a visa to come are virtually "none". If one comes and leaves the spouse and substantial assets behind in China, the chances improve to "slim".

What could improve the chances for both would be very substantial assets and ties to China, sufficient to convince any idiot that they woud both return as promised.

If they don't have substantial assets and/or depend on family for support, then DOS is happy to accept their visa application fee and tell them no.

Yes, for those who remember us and our long two year wait to obtain my wife's visa, we are expecting....or I should say my wife is expecting our son this September  :P

211942[/snapback]

My uncle's parents got the B1/B2 visa to the US for several times and they are going to the States again in a month.

My uncle was an American greencard holder and had been living in the States for 3 years when his parents applied for the B1/B2 for the first time about 4 years ago. My uncle works in the senior management of an international brand name enterprise. He makes very good money. His parents are both retired doctors with decent pension. I got B1/B2 to visit my uncle too. :wub:

Another case is the parents of the deputy director of my org. Our deputy director's younger sisiter is married to an American guy. Her parents applied for the B1/B2 to visit her in the States but got rejected for 3 times. :D

It doens't hurt to try. Just bring as much evidence as they can, both from their side and from your side.

Edited by corvette (see edit history)

I still think that the deciding factor is if your wife has siblings in China. Note that many of the ones who report parents getting visas had siblings in China.

We will find out Sun night if my in-laws will make it on their third try. No other children.

I still think that the deciding factor is if your wife has siblings in China. Note that many of the ones who report parents getting visas had siblings in China.

We will find out Sun night if my in-laws will make it on their third try. No other children.

212150[/snapback]

It really depends. My uncle is the only child and his parents got the visa without any problem at all.

The deputy director of my employer makes over 20k rmb a month, but her parents were rejected 3 times for going to visit their younger daughter in the States.

I can tell you from experience that they have a great chance if you are serious about wanting them to come. It might take a lot of organization and a few attempts (some attempts with you waiting outside giving them your passport to bring in.)

Nicola was here for less than a year and we tried having both of her granparents visit. They make a combined income of $200 a month. Both got rejected twice and people sarted telling me that we should try for one person only but I researched it better. The way I did it was to have them fill their form out in chinese and then I went online and filled it out in english and printed it out so the english forms had a barcode they can scan and get all their information fast (consulate website said they will put a prefrence for anyone filling the forms out online) then I made a one page letter head for them, tying all their assets together including labeling them as attachment 1 and so forth. Assets could include something as simple as family list everyone, any buildings even apartments list the size. I listed their income and they both had jobs (that's very important.) Both grandparents passed their third interview.

A few months later Nicola's parents tried and I did all the same things including a frontpage for quick reference, the downloaded english form, and us being at the interview and them showing my passport. They passed on their first attempt. You can say we're just lucky but isn't it funny how the more effort you put into something the luckier you are? Good luck and don't quit.

Edited by NicolaNSam (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

The chances are better than slim to none as others say. You need to be organized. They need to be organized. They need to show they WILL be coming back to China. It's best to just invate them to "visit family and see the U.S.". Don't invite them simply for the birth of the baby. Don't even mention it unless you have to (I think). We just applied for Yaya's parents im January amd they were approved last month in Chengdu (I also believe the smaller consulates have better chances). They will actually be with us for about 1 year.

Guest pushbrk
The chances are better than slim to none as others say.  You need to be organized.  They need to be organized.  They need to show they WILL be coming back to China.  It's best to just invate them to "visit family and see the U.S.".  Don't invite them simply for the birth of the baby.  Don't even mention it unless you have to (I think).  We just applied for Yaya's parents im January amd they were approved last month in Chengdu (I also believe the smaller consulates have better chances).  They will actually be with us for about 1 year.

215006[/snapback]

Under the category of "slim" chances, you not only need to be organized, you have to have the right set of facts on your side. Those facts include well documented compelling reasons to return to China that would be seen as such by a reasonable objective person.

Lots of assets in China AND immediate family (like another child) remaining in China can shift the probablility category from none. The odds any given person or couple can shift those odds enough, are "slim".

• 5 years later...

This is an old thread but we are in the same situation now. My wife is expecting in March 2012. We applied in September for her parents to come and be here for the birth and stay for 6 months. We had all the evidence I have seen listed here (they have 2 children and grandchild in China, own rental property, etc). They were denied.

We are planning to have them interview again in January 2012. I was wondering if it would help in the invitation letter to state this time that my wife is expecting and she needs her mother her during the first month as is chinese culture? It would seem that the birth of a child is a reasonable reason for the parents to visit and their is no issue with their connections back to China. In addition my financial situation is such that even if they stayed here we could easily support them.

This is an old thread but we are in the same situation now. My wife is expecting in March 2012. We applied in September for her parents to come and be here for the birth and stay for 6 months. We had all the evidence I have seen listed here (they have 2 children and grandchild in China, own rental property, etc). They were denied.

We are planning to have them interview again in January 2012. I was wondering if it would help in the invitation letter to state this time that my wife is expecting and she needs her mother her during the first month as is chinese culture? It would seem that the birth of a child is a reasonable reason for the parents to visit and their is no issue with their connections back to China. In addition my financial situation is such that even if they stayed here we could easily support them.

Actually that is a good thing to note in the letter.

I assume you have already studied this thread: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8469-visitors-visa/

In light of the thread where the US Mission claimed to issue visas to 90% of petitioners, I found your thread somewhat ironic.

Good luck with your second attempt. :)