Getting a Driver's License

Jiaying wants to get her driver's license. I found out a few weeks ago when she hands the phone to me and some guy asks for directions to our house so he can give her lessons. A fvew weeks later we meet him at a Chinatown grocery store and he gives her a 21 page, all in Chinese, study guide. For $80, he guaranteed that she would get a learner's permit. I think that means that they would keep trying until she passed, to a max of 10 tries.

My biggest thing that I wasn't prepared for was when she took the eye test. The girl says to her "Read line 5". She has no clue, I have no idea how to tell her what to do on such short notice - fortunately, her instructor guy happened to be there - he had 4 Chinese people in tow that day - and is able to translate for her.

For the written test, she is allowed to have a translator with her. He translates the question, but does not see the answers (I'm not exactly clear on how that works).

Anyway, she passed on the first try, and we went shopping for cars. I was figuring on spending around $12,000 - $13,000 for a late model Toyota Corolla - for only a little more, we found an '07 Toyota Yaris. We took it out for a drive Monday. She did okay with the steering and brakes, but kept the speed to pretty much 10 to 30 mph. We took it into a little bit of traffic - they just zipped around her.

For the road test, no one will be in the car with her except the patrolman. Hopefully, understanding things like "turn left" and "turn right" will get her through. Her instructor says that they will point for her - that English language communication is not necessary. I think we'll go to that DPS office for the test (near Chinatown).

So now she has the instructor guy out again to give her 2 hours of lessons in Cantonese. Then I'll do the rest (at least that's the plan) until she'd ready to take the road test.

Brave man.0„2 You got her a new car before she got her license.0„2 I ddn't know your can get 2007 car now.

206595[/snapback]

It's a new model (replacfement for the Echo), so they change the year to make it seem even newer.

I forgot to mention - mine's a stickshift, so we needed an automatic for her.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The best way to teach her is have her enroll in Driver Ed with other students. When she goes for the road test, she will be one of many students. So the test will be easier. My wife passed her driving exam on the day when there were about 60 students taking the test. There were two test cars and the test lasts about 5 minutes each. My wife said she "Make a right, stop, 3-point turn and come back to the parking lot".

Kind of sprung it on you?

I came home from work at the

end of the week last February and my

wife said we were going to Las Vagas

with her cousin for the weekend.

Since it was a last minute thing I paid through

the nose for the car rental and hotel. Also they

wanted to leave during the evening commute so

it took us 2 hours just to get out of the Bay Area.

Though it was an expensive weekend she had a great time.

I just mentioned that we need to plan those kind of things

a little bit in advance.

Just learned that in [south] Florida, you have to take a drug course, then can take the written test.  

Here's the unbelieveable part:  You can take both of them online !   Don't even need to be overseen by anyone to ensure it is actually you taking the test  :o

206780[/snapback]

unless your Cuban then you can bypass the test and they give you a licence from the crackerjack box :lol:

Edited by izus (see edit history)

David, The drugs are for you or for her? If you fail the drug test, do you get to take more until you pass or pass out?

PK, $700 bucks on SWA, 3 days & 2 nights on the strip including 2 RT tix. Don't drive.

Randy, We got to take our permit test in Chinese. She failed the 1st time (bombed it!) and passed no problems the 2nd time. (after reading the manual in Chinese.) We have been taking short trips driving around at night after the traffic dies down... way down. Amy's doing good under 30mph. She was confident, so we went on the freeway last night. OMG!!! :lol: Not going to do that again for a while. Amy's english is really good, but when the pressure's on, english goes out the window. After we got home she asked what "blinker" meant. (I used about 6 different words for "directional", "turn signal", "flashing light" yada yada yada.) We got home ok. She unpealed her fingers from the steering wheel and mine from the dashboard. she couldn't understand why I was so scared, until I went over the situations we encountered. She wasn't scared, because she was oblivious to the hazards. It's really hard to stay cool and calm when you don't know if your next turn is your last. I told her next time, I'll drive the route to demonstrate and then she can drive it to try and copy what I do. judging speed and distance, switching lanes and turning your head to check your blind spots are the scariest parts. They don't teach that in the manuals. Calling the driving school today!!!

ohh fun fun fun i look forward to this ...

Randy did you get the toyota yaris?

i was wondering how they are....

my choice is also the corolla but all i can see or actually not see is not enough metal around here..

Chun drives in beijing but its completely different animal from orlando driving....

John Young Parkway at 70MPH i can see it now :lol:

ohh fun fun fun i look forward to this ...

Randy did you get the toyota yaris?

i was wondering how they are....

my choice is also the corolla but all i can see or actually not see is not enough metal around here..

Chun drives in beijing but its completely different animal from orlando driving....

John Young Parkway at 70MPH i can see it now  :rolleyes:

206895[/snapback]

It's an excellent alternative to a used car and a good scooter replacement! Seriously, it feels pretty solid and has okay acceleration, even with the automatic (2300 lbs. and 105 horsepower). We're pretty happy with it.

She's pretty comfortable behind the wheel, and I think she'll do real well once she's ready for the test.

the more i think about it the more i think the Yaris or something equal is the choice...

she had her mind set on a camry but unless we get a good deal for it used i dont think thats the way to go...

what do you think of that new dodge sportwagon?

what do you think of that new dodge sportwagon?

207072[/snapback]

Which one?

This one? http://www.dodge.com/nav/model/magnum_se.jpg

...or this one? http://www.dodge.com/img/vehicleshowroom/caliber.jpg

The Magnum would be fine only with the Hemi :ph34r: Probably way too big for her, but I'd take one.

The Caliber is a first year model, so I would probably wait on buying one. :blink: