New and dont understand P3 P4

Hi,

I have read through many posting trying to figure out this whole process since I will be marring my SO in June in China. What is the P3 and P4? What is GUZ? I am new and dont understand a lot of the abbreviations. If anyone could walk me through the process and what forms are needed I would greatly appreciate it. I know I start with the I 130 but then after that not sure. Thanks Rick

Check out Acronyms

in the Information/Tutorials forum.

P1 and P2 are the same as NOA1 and NOA2 - the receipt for your application, and then the application is approved.

P3 is sent to your SO (significant other) by the Guangzhou (GUZ)consulate as a packet of information and applications that she needs to return. P4 is the interview notification and final packet of forms that she will need to bring to the interview.

Also check out some of the "pinned" topics and FAQ's in various forums that might be helpful.

There is also some very helpful information on Visa Journey which is not specific to China.

Good Luck! and Welcome to Candle!

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Hi,

I have read through many posting trying to figure out this whole process since I will be marring my SO in June in China. What is the P3 and P4? What is GUZ? I am new and dont understand a lot of the abbreviations. If anyone could walk me through the process and what forms are needed I would greatly appreciate it. I know I start with the I 130 but then after that not sure. Thanks Rick

206314[/snapback]

Welcome to CFL!

GUZ = Guangzhou consulate, immigrant visa interview there.

If you married, you need apply cr1 visa fro your wife, if you don't want wait too long, you can apply k3 for her after you got cr1 p1.The diffrence between cr1 and k3 is if she can get green card directly after your wife move to USA.

Randy W already answered your other questions, here is <Visa Flow Chart, K1/K1+K2,America CR1/CR2/IR1/IR2,DCF,K3>, after read it you will be more clear about all visa processes. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...=0entry198880

And here is the examples how to fill in the forms.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...m&page=examples

Before you worry too much about stuff, marry your SO, then do what my last post shows you to do. Pay attention to the particulars, dont even worry about P3 P4 GUZ cause you got a lot of sitting around eating cheetos to begin to understand all of this confusing stuff. Good luck.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Before you worry too much about stuff, marry your SO, then do what my last post shows you to do. Pay attention to the particulars, dont even worry about P3 P4 GUZ cause you got a lot of sitting around eating cheetos to begin to understand all of this confusing stuff. Good luck.

206387[/snapback]

Looks like others are posting some good links. Here's a link to a flowchart to help you better visualize the process....

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...=0entry198880

http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/iv_faq.html

Frequently Asked Questions

Guangzhou Immigrant Visa Unit

I'm an American citizen who married to a Chinese national. I'm officially residing in China. Can I file a petition for my wife in China?

Please contact Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) in Guangzhou if you are residing in our consular district (in provinces of Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian and Hainan) to find out if you can file an immigrant visa petition in China for your wife.

My petitioner is a U.S. citizen. Must he file separate petitions for his parents, spouse or children?

Yes.

My petitioner has filed an immigrant visa petition on my behalf and received an approval notice from the CIS. Why have I not received anything?

Once CIS approves the petition, they will send the petitioner a notice of approval, Form I-797. CIS will also forward the approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC), which will contact the intending immigrant with further information. Then NVC will forward your petition to this office.

I have returned forms DS-230 part one and OF-169 and I-864 to NVC, when will you receive my file?

It's impossible to predict when NVC will forward your file to this office.

I'm a U.S. citizen, how can I bring my newly born baby to the U.S.? I have filed an immigrant visa petition on behalf of my wife.

You may contact our American Citizen Service if your spouse and child are residing in our consular district to see if your child is eligible to get a U.S. passport. They can be reached at 8518-7605 by phone, 3884-4410 by fax, or at Guangzhouacs@state.gov.

I'm a beneficiary who is pregnant. Can you expedite my application?

Due to the large number of cases backlogged we cannot expedite based on the pregnancy of the applicant, but will schedule to avoid travel around the time of birth. We have not heard of any problems arising from possible violation of China's one child policy from previous pending immigrants.

I missed my visa interview appointment as I did not receive my invitation packet or was unable to come. What should I do?

Please provide us with your mailing address in Chinese characters and your postal code. We will send you another invitation letter for your visa interview.

I'm not ready to travel, can I postpone my visa application?

Yes, but stay in touch by writing at least once per year and let us know three months before you are ready.

Can my case be processed faster if I hire a lawyer or a consultant for my case?

No. The speed of the procedure for any case depends on the legal qualification of this case.

Where can I get my notarial birth, marriage status, police certificates?

Please contact your local municipal Notary Office.

My child is approaching 21, but my priority date is not current. Is there any way that my child can get a visa before the age of 21?

U.S. immigration law does not allow a consular officer to issue visas to anyone whose priority date is not current. When your priority date becomes current, we will determine whether the Child Status Protection Act applies to your child or not, If eligible, your child will be able to get a visa with you once a Consular Officer approves your visa applications at your visa interview.

What can I do if I'm no longer interested in immigrating to the U.S.?

Your petitioner can cancel the petition with a written, notarized statement of desire to do so.

I'm a green card holder who has been abroad for more than one year, how can I return to the U.S.?

You should prepare the following documents:

1) Original passport, green card, re-entry permit and/or other valid identification documents.

2) An explanation in English and Chinese, explaining the reason for your overstay.

3) All evidence attesting to the reason for your overstay. For example, if a medical condition prevented you from returning to the United States, provide all relevant medical records, such as hospital records and doctor’s statements. Translate all material into English.

When you have assembled the documents required and completed form DS-117, Application to Determine Returning Resident Status, return to the Consulate any Monday to Thursday at 10:30 a.m. After paying the application fee of $400 or RMB3, 320, a consular officer will interview you. At that time, the officer will only determine if you are eligible to apply for an SB-1 visa.

If the officer determines you are eligible, the consulate will send you an IV instruction packet and you must wait for a second interview. On the day of the second interview, you must pay an additional visa-processing fee of $380 or RMB3, 154. Approval of the opportunity to apply for an SB-1 Visa does not guarantee the Consulate will approve your visa. A consular officer will make this decision only after he/she has conducted the second interview and reviewed all documents presented.

You must have evidence in both interviews that extreme circumstances beyond your control prevented your return to the United States. Whether or not an officer approves your application at either interview, the Consulate cannot refund either fee.

My visa application was denied. Where, when and how do I submit additional required documents?

Applicants asked to submit additional materials for their immigrant visa will need to schedule an appointment. Please call the U.S. Visa Information Center at 4008-872-333 within China or 86-21-3881-4611 from other countries, from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. (Monday - Friday) and 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. (Saturday) for an appointment. Applicants must provide: names in Chinese characters and pin yin, case number, ID card number, passport number, phone number, and date of birth. There is a charge to access the Visa Information Center. Prices are 54 RMB for 12 minutes or 36 RMB for 8 minutes. The Visa Information Center charge may be paid at any CITIC Bank office or on the Internet at https://www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx. Once the charge is paid, you will be given a PIN number that must be given to the Visa Information Center when you call to verify the payment. The U.S. Visa Information Call Center currently can assist callers in Mandarin, Cantonese, Taishanese, Fuzhou dialect, and English.

Please read the refusal sheet (blue sheet) for specific instructions.

Re-payment of the IV processing fee is required if evidence to overcome a refusal, i.e. 221(g), 212(a)(4), is not made within one year of the date of last refusal; this fee will be collected for all cases in which the delay is not due to US Government processing.

I want to hand in some forms from the Instruction Packet to your consulate. How can I do it?

You have to mail them to us.

What documents will be in the instruction packet and appointment packet?

The Instruction packet in Guangzhou includes:

1. Instruction packet (Packet 3) letter in English

2. Instruction packet (Packet 3) letter in Chinese

3. Instruction packet (Packet 3) supplemental information sheet

4. Application for immigrant visa and alien registration (DS-230 part I)

5. Instructions for immigrant visa applicants (OF-169)

6. Photograph specifications (GIV-1)

7. Important notice

8. Evidence which may be presented to meet the public charge provisions of the law (OF-167)

9. Affidavit of Support (I-864)

The Appointment packet includes:

1. Appointment letter (packet 4) in English

2. Appointment letter (packet 4) in Chinese

3. Appointment letter for immigrant visa applications (OF-171)

4. Application for immigrant visa and alien registration (DS-230 part II)

5. Family composition sheet (GIV-24)

6. Medical examination instructions (GIV-8)

7. Medical examination for immigrant or refugee applicant (DS-2053)

8. Chest X-ray and classification worksheet (DS-3024)

9. Vaccination documentation workseet (DS-3025)

10. Medical history and physical examination workseet (DS-3026)

11. Important notice to immigrant visa applicants concerning vaccination requirements

What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

The applicant should bring the following original documents:

Forms in the appointment packet

Chinese passport

Two visa photos

Notarial birth certificate

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Notarial police certificates are required from each visa applicant aged 16 or over issued by his/her local municipal notary office where he/she has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

Medical report

Affidavit of Support - I-864 and copies of the three most recent years' tax returns if not already submitted to NVC.

Relationship evidence including family photos, correspondence and household registration to prove the claimed relationship.

Translations: Police certificates from other countries not in English, or in the official language of the country must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a notary public.

What's the period of validity for medical reports and notarial certificates?

Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates have unlimited validity. Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates are good for one year from the date of issuance.

What's the Child Status Protection Act?

Under this new law, children that recently turned 21 may still be eligible to apply for a visa. Please read the explanation to determine if the new law applies to your case. If you would like to apply based on the new law, please come to the Consulate with your family when they are scheduled for interview. You will be admitted to appear for the interview. You must pay the application fee before a Consular Officer will render a decision based on the new law.

If you have already appeared for interview and believe this new law applies to you, please send a letter to the Consulate requesting review of your case. Your letter should explain how the new law applies.

What’s the time frame to submit documents requested during my visa interview?

We suggest you submit them to the Consulate as soon as possible. According to Department of State guidelines, if evidence to overcome a refusal (e.g. under sections 221(g) or 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act) is not submitted within one year of the date of that last refusal, a re-payment of the $380.00 Immigrant Visa processing fee is required. This fee is re-collected in all cases where delays are not due to U.S. Government processing.

Edited by tonado (see edit history)
http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/iv_faq.html

Frequently Asked Questions

Guangzhou Immigrant Visa Unit

I'm an American citizen who married to a Chinese national. I'm officially residing in China. Can I file a petition for my wife in China?

Please contact Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) in Guangzhou if you are residing in our consular district (in provinces of Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian and Hainan) to find out if you can file an immigrant visa petition in China for your wife.

My petitioner is a U.S. citizen. Must he file separate petitions for his parents, spouse or children?

Yes.

My petitioner has filed an immigrant visa petition on my behalf and received an approval notice from the CIS. Why have I not received anything?

Once CIS approves the petition, they will send the petitioner a notice of approval, Form I-797. CIS will also forward the approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC), which will contact the intending immigrant with further information. Then NVC will forward your petition to this office.

I have returned forms DS-230 part one and OF-169 and I-864 to NVC, when will you receive my file?

It's impossible to predict when NVC will forward your file to this office.

I'm a U.S. citizen, how can I bring my newly born baby to the U.S.? I have filed an immigrant visa petition on behalf of my wife.

You may contact our American Citizen Service if your spouse and child are residing in our consular district to see if your child is eligible to get a U.S. passport. They can be reached at 8518-7605 by phone, 3884-4410 by fax, or at Guangzhouacs@state.gov.

I'm a beneficiary who is pregnant. Can you expedite my application?

Due to the large number of cases backlogged we cannot expedite based on the pregnancy of the applicant, but will schedule to avoid travel around the time of birth. We have not heard of any problems arising from possible violation of China's one child policy from previous pending immigrants.

I missed my visa interview appointment as I did not receive my invitation packet or was unable to come. What should I do?

Please provide us with your mailing address in Chinese characters and your postal code. We will send you another invitation letter for your visa interview.

I'm not ready to travel, can I postpone my visa application?

Yes, but stay in touch by writing at least once per year and let us know three months before you are ready.

Can my case be processed faster if I hire a lawyer or a consultant for my case?

No. The speed of the procedure for any case depends on the legal qualification of this case.

Where can I get my notarial birth, marriage status, police certificates?

Please contact your local municipal Notary Office.

My child is approaching 21, but my priority date is not current. Is there any way that my child can get a visa before the age of 21?

U.S. immigration law does not allow a consular officer to issue visas to anyone whose priority date is not current. When your priority date becomes current, we will determine whether the Child Status Protection Act applies to your child or not, If eligible, your child will be able to get a visa with you once a Consular Officer approves your visa applications at your visa interview.

What can I do if I'm no longer interested in immigrating to the U.S.?

Your petitioner can cancel the petition with a written, notarized statement of desire to do so.

I'm a green card holder who has been abroad for more than one year, how can I return to the U.S.?

You should prepare the following documents:

1) Original passport, green card, re-entry permit and/or other valid identification documents.

2) An explanation in English and Chinese, explaining the reason for your overstay.

3) All evidence attesting to the reason for your overstay. For example, if a medical condition prevented you from returning to the United States, provide all relevant medical records, such as hospital records and doctor’s statements. Translate all material into English.

When you have assembled the documents required and completed form DS-117, Application to Determine Returning Resident Status, return to the Consulate any Monday to Thursday at 10:30 a.m. After paying the application fee of $400 or RMB3, 320, a consular officer will interview you. At that time, the officer will only determine if you are eligible to apply for an SB-1 visa.

If the officer determines you are eligible, the consulate will send you an IV instruction packet and you must wait for a second interview. On the day of the second interview, you must pay an additional visa-processing fee of $380 or RMB3, 154. Approval of the opportunity to apply for an SB-1 Visa does not guarantee the Consulate will approve your visa. A consular officer will make this decision only after he/she has conducted the second interview and reviewed all documents presented.

You must have evidence in both interviews that extreme circumstances beyond your control prevented your return to the United States. Whether or not an officer approves your application at either interview, the Consulate cannot refund either fee.

My visa application was denied. Where, when and how do I submit additional required documents?

Applicants asked to submit additional materials for their immigrant visa will need to schedule an appointment. Please call the U.S. Visa Information Center at 4008-872-333 within China or 86-21-3881-4611 from other countries, from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. (Monday - Friday) and 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. (Saturday) for an appointment. Applicants must provide: names in Chinese characters and pin yin, case number, ID card number, passport number, phone number, and date of birth. There is a charge to access the Visa Information Center. Prices are 54 RMB for 12 minutes or 36 RMB for 8 minutes. The Visa Information Center charge may be paid at any CITIC Bank office or on the Internet at https://www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx. Once the charge is paid, you will be given a PIN number that must be given to the Visa Information Center when you call to verify the payment. The U.S. Visa Information Call Center currently can assist callers in Mandarin, Cantonese, Taishanese, Fuzhou dialect, and English.

Please read the refusal sheet (blue sheet) for specific instructions.

Re-payment of the IV processing fee is required if evidence to overcome a refusal, i.e. 221(g), 212(a)(4), is not made within one year of the date of last refusal; this fee will be collected for all cases in which the delay is not due to US Government processing.

I want to hand in some forms from the Instruction Packet to your consulate. How can I do it?

You have to mail them to us.

What documents will be in the instruction packet and appointment packet?

The Instruction packet in Guangzhou includes:

1. Instruction packet (Packet 3) letter in English

2. Instruction packet (Packet 3) letter in Chinese

3. Instruction packet (Packet 3) supplemental information sheet

4. Application for immigrant visa and alien registration (DS-230 part I)

5. Instructions for immigrant visa applicants (OF-169)

6. Photograph specifications (GIV-1)

7. Important notice

8. Evidence which may be presented to meet the public charge provisions of the law (OF-167)

9. Affidavit of Support (I-864)

The Appointment packet includes:

1. Appointment letter (packet 4) in English

2. Appointment letter (packet 4) in Chinese

3. Appointment letter for immigrant visa applications (OF-171)

4. Application for immigrant visa and alien registration (DS-230 part II)

5. Family composition sheet (GIV-24)

6. Medical examination instructions (GIV-8)

7. Medical examination for immigrant or refugee applicant (DS-2053)

8. Chest X-ray and classification worksheet (DS-3024)

9. Vaccination documentation workseet (DS-3025)

10. Medical history and physical examination workseet (DS-3026)

11. Important notice to immigrant visa applicants concerning vaccination requirements

What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

The applicant should bring the following original documents:

Forms in the appointment packet

Chinese passport

Two visa photos

Notarial birth certificate

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Notarial police certificates are required from each visa applicant aged 16 or over issued by his/her local municipal notary office where he/she has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

Medical report

Affidavit of Support - I-864 and copies of the three most recent years' tax returns if not already submitted to NVC.

Relationship evidence including family photos, correspondence and household registration to prove the claimed relationship.

Translations: Police certificates from other countries not in English, or in the official language of the country must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a notary public.

What's the period of validity for medical reports and notarial certificates?

Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates have unlimited validity. Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates are good for one year from the date of issuance.

What's the Child Status Protection Act?

Under this new law, children that recently turned 21 may still be eligible to apply for a visa. Please read the explanation to determine if the new law applies to your case. If you would like to apply based on the new law, please come to the Consulate with your family when they are scheduled for interview. You will be admitted to appear for the interview. You must pay the application fee before a Consular Officer will render a decision based on the new law.

If you have already appeared for interview and believe this new law applies to you, please send a letter to the Consulate requesting review of your case. Your letter should explain how the new law applies.

What’s the time frame to submit documents requested during my visa interview?

We suggest you submit them to the Consulate as soon as possible. According to Department of State guidelines, if evidence to overcome a refusal (e.g. under sections 221(g) or 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act) is not submitted within one year of the date of that last refusal, a re-payment of the $380.00 Immigrant Visa processing fee is required.  This fee is re-collected in all cases where delays are not due to U.S. Government processing.

206402[/snapback]

I would just like to thank all of you for replying to my post. It looks like you gave me plenty of places to get additional information.

Thanks,

Rick

• 1 month later...

That would be great here is my email <deleted> you can send me your number there if you like.

Thanks again,

Rick & Liyan

Moderator: Probably not a good idea to show your personal e-mail on a public forum.

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)