Chinese words we used

How many people went to China or talk to their SO careful to say a Chinese word correctly and just get a puzzled look? I am not talking about all the words we use the wrong tone.

You must have called Guangzhou at first Canton. Wasn't it puzzling that no one knew what it meant? How about traveling on the Yangtze River. I quickly changed to Changjiang so people knew where I had been.

Some of this is the change from Cantonese to Mandarin other changes are just the modern Communist forms and yet others are because we had it wrong all along.

Then there is Peking which even we now call Beijing. So why does everyone still call the roast duck Peking style?

At the top of my list are:

Guangzhou = Canton

Changjiang = Yangtze River

Yin yang = bagua

and this is in English but it was an argument in our house when I kept referring to Chinese New Year. Spring Festival is the accepted name in our house now. "What do you mean Chinese New Year? We celebrated that on January 1st."

Anyone want to add any?

There is a big proportion of the "Chinese-English" loanwords were orginated from Cantonese, especially the food.

i.e dimsum ketchup wonton

In the past, there was no "pinyin" system, so those words were not very "standardised" as they are now.

For those words mentioned:

Guangzhou = Canton

Canton was actually brought from "Gong Dong" (Cantonese pronounciation), and it was actually "produced" by French. If you pronounce it in French you will find the similarity.

Guangzhou is the pinyin while Canton was "invented" before the pinyin system. Canton used to be better known overseas.

The word Peking has a similar origin.

Changjiang = Yangtze River

Both are ok in Chinese. Changjiang has 2 names, the other is Yangtze River, but it's not as commonly used now and that's why not many ppl know it.

Yin yang = bagua

umm... Yin Yang is not 100% equal to Ba Gua, but Ba Gua does express a meaning of yin & yang. However, if you use yin yang you can also refer to female and male. But with bagua, i don't think you can use it to describe gender. :whistling:

Edited by corvette (see edit history)
Guest Guest

Thanks that is great information. Can you explain more about the use of the word Bagua as opposed to Yin Yang? I understand the Yin Yang use for gender and in Chinese medicine for organs and balance. However, I am not sure how Bagua is used and have often heard it.

More, more! May we have some more please?

Thanks that is great information. Can you explain more about the use of the word Bagua as opposed to Yin Yang? I understand the Yin Yang use for gender and in Chinese medicine for organs and balance. However, I am not sure how Bagua is used and have often heard it.

205758[/snapback]

Oops! I forgot to log in. For some reason my computer will not automaticly log into some sites. (I almost missed a post count, hehe)

205758[/snapback]

Bagua (The eight diagram) is a tool for "Feng Shui".

At the very beginning, Buagua was the Confucian's understanding towards the changes and connection among things in the nature. They believed that "yin & yang" were the origin of the world.

Taoism combined "Bagua" & "Taiji" map into a "Buagua-Taiji map" and it's widely used in Fengshui. It's said Buagua can also be used as a talisman.

In Cantonese we use the word "Bagua" to refer to nosy or gosspy as well. :D

Edited by corvette (see edit history)

I think Canton, Yangtze River, Formosa (Taiwan) was used in the time of Franklin Roosevelt and before. The first time I saw these words was in the memoir by the interpreter of President Roosevelt.

After 1949 we use pinyin Guangdong, Changjiang, Taiwan.

By the way, Cantonese slang, bagua - gossip. When I don't work and don't run away from this city, I come to bagua on CFL.

My wife's sisters encourage me to speak Cantonese.

When I do, they just start laughing.

I think they may be playing a game on me. :unsure:

206600[/snapback]

I think the way you speak Cantonese may sounds interesting or you bite your tongue so they laugh.

When I mixed "soap" with "soup", "chopsticks" with "chocolates", people also laughed.