Does anybody here know UFCW?

Guest ShaQuaNew
I just received a letter with forms from this Union asking me to fill out these forms as soon as possible and send the forms back to the Union office. My question is I do not know what this organization is for. Is there anybody can help me?

203945[/snapback]

Bessie, if you're a member of the food workers union in Hawaii, you can call the union offices with your questions.

http://www.ufcw.org/worker_political_agend...ress/hawaii.cfm

I'm always reluctant to send out any personal information to anyone before knowing exactly what it's for. Be careful....

The union you mentioned, could be a part of many organizations, including Wal-Mart...

http://www.walmartsux.com/authorization/au...zationcards.htm

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Sometimes it is mandatory that you join the Union in order to work certain jobs.

Being a union worker, you get benefit of better negociated pay rate and something else hard to bargain for as an individual. However you have to follow union's guidelines. For example, if they decide to go on strike, you would better not to work.

How do you like you new job, Bessie?

:angry:  :angry: Oops!! Just today, I received a letter again. I am told to make $468.83 payment. My Goodness!!!  :(

204125[/snapback]

Bessie -

Forced Union membership depends upon the state you live. For instance, is the state you are living in an "open" or "closed" shop? An open shop state means the Unions can not require membership as a condition to work in that state. Closed shop means the state you are living in allows the Unions to require membership in order for people to work. The state I live in is an "open" shop - meaning, anyone can get a job regardless if they belong to a union or not. But when the idea came up that I would not join the union in a unionized industry I received many persuasive conversations from my fellow co-workers convincing me to join - it was probably the best advice in the long haul. Did membership cost me, yes? Was what I paid for membership worth it, yes - b/c of higher wages. Many states are closed, meaning a person is required to be in a union before they can work to earn a living. Is your state one of them?

Bessie, you should do some research and see for yourself if the benefits for having a Union job outweighs having a non-union job.

Wheel Man

But .... if you have an option, Bessie, think carefully about not joining the union. They take your money and try to force the business to pay more salary and benefits. Sometimes they go too far and the business cannot compete with similar businesses and then everyone may lose their jobs. Sometimes you will get the same benefits and salary increases even if you are not a union member.

Maybe the best thing would be to delay a few months if you have that option. This would allow you to gain experience and make a better decision.

If you're required to join the union, and need the job, I guess you have no choice.

Another thing to consider is the stability of the job/employer. If there are layoffs, you're first to go. Seniority reigns in a union.

Also, how much will your union dues be? If you have a chance to weigh the cost versus (perceived) benefit, you may or may not find it to be to your advantage.

I agree wholly with what Jim just wrote.

I do not see unions as serving the same purpose they served last century. They've become big business, and are just as capable of trampling on the rights of their members as the employer.

:draw:  :draw: Oops!! Just today, I received a letter again. I am told to make $468.83 payment. My Goodness!!!  :)

204125[/snapback]

I'm thinking that may be an annual amount. They may allow you to make pay arrangements if that's the route you choose to go (like 1-2 hours of your weekly pay until it's paid off.) Just be careful to see what your obligations are.

Personally I do not want to join any "Union" or "Organization".

The total amount $468.83 includes monthly memeber dues, initiation fee and administrative fee. I am required to be finished with the payment in three months. And, I need to pay monthy due every month.

I called the Union yesterday. I was advised that joining the Union is a condition of employment.

I will get some information from my managers or co-workers tomorrow as I am working tomorrow.

I hope I could get enough money to do the payment. Or, I maybe lose the job.