How important is it...

Everything that I'm sending is easily (sort of easily) replaced with the exception of the Medical supplement-which is in a sealed envelope anyway. The notarized stuff wouldn't be notarized any longer if it were a copy. (plus: the certified copy of my marriage license cost $5; all the forms are accessed on the web; I'm already sending copies of passport/visa pages, etc.) Is the idea to have copies of the actual stuff I sent with the actual signatures?

Just curious. :greenblob:

Fred

How important? Very. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. With the exception of the sealed vaccination envelope, I would make copies of everything, and a copy of the contents of the sealed envelope should actually have been given to you by the civil surgeon (ask him or her for a copy of the contents if not).

Sure, it's a precautionary measure, but what would happen if you got an RFE? It would be nice to know what you submitted and why someting wasn't just right. The information may be fresh now, but you will soon forget whether you've sent in this or that.

Make the copies.

And you want a complete copy in front of you at the interview.. I referred to my copy a few times during the interview, and he asked for a marriage certificate from me (he wanted a certified copy !!), which I had put into my copy as well. I even had passport photos in my copy...

After you get the biometrics, make a copy of the stamped letter, so you can bring a copy and original of proof of biometric... We had to also prove this as there was a mix up on her A# at the biometric.

To reinforce what Frank said, "COPY EVERYTHING" and "HAVE EVERYTHING ON HAND".

This is from the third to last check box on our I-797C NOA for our AOS appointment under YOU MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU: (Say that three times real fast).

"Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application. Otherwise, we may keep your originals for our records"

This is from the third to last check box on our I-797C NOA for our AOS appointment under YOU MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU: (Say that three times real fast).

"Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application. Otherwise, we may keep your originals for our records"

202901[/snapback]

You know, I went to school - even college - and I still have trouble dechiphering all this #$%.

How can I bring the original I-485 if I'm mailing it to the USCIS?

How can I bring the original "Certified Copy and/or Notarized Copy" of my Support Document(s) and marriage license if I'm mailing it to the USCIS?

How can I bring my wife's original, certified birth certificate from China if I mailed it to the USCIS?

I must be missing something - somewhere.

Fred

202901[/snapback]

We will be going in for my wife's AOS interview in June, I have two questions and I would appreciate some help:

1. Since December 12, 2005, only one year tax return is required for the I-864 (Affidavit of Support), But the I-797C notice (Rev. 01/31/05) ask for tax returns of past three years, Do I really need to bring tax return for three years, or just the current year is enough? My problem is that I only have 2004 and 2005 returns.

2. Where and how to get a certified marriage certifiate in NYC.

Thanks,

Pinky

202901[/snapback]

We will be going in for my wife's AOS interview in June, I have two questions and I would appreciate some help:

1. Since December 12, 2005, only one year tax return is required for the I-864 (Affidavit of Support), But the I-797C notice (Rev. 01/31/05) ask for tax returns of past three years, Do I really need to bring tax return for three years, or just the current year is enough? My problem is that I only have 2004 and 2005 returns.

2. Where and how to get a certified marriage certifiate in NYC.

Thanks,

Pinky

202921[/snapback]

Go to the IRS site and download a request for a transcript.

It should take about 30 days to process.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

202901[/snapback]

You know, I went to school - even college - and I still have trouble dechiphering all this #$%.

How can I bring the original I-485 if I'm mailing it to the USCIS?

How can I bring the original "Certified Copy and/or Notarized Copy" of my Support Document(s) and marriage license if I'm mailing it to the USCIS?

How can I bring my wife's original, certified birth certificate from China if I mailed it to the USCIS?

I must be missing something - somewhere.

Fred

202916[/snapback]

I think that the supporting documents you mail in are copies only. Bring the originals to the interview.

No - copies of the applications are not needed - just the ability to recreate them if necessary - but VERY desirable.

The standard submission approach is:

Forms are originals, supporting documents are copies (notarized or certified if required).

As for certified copies of married cert, her birth certs, etc.. you should have gotten extra copies of everything so you can bring certified copies.

Maybe we should be clearer about bringing a copy of the petition filed for AOS.. it should really be as near complete a copy as possible; meaning, if you submitted a certified copy of something, have another certified copy for your personal version... then also basic copies of the entire package as well in case they'll take a copy.

They are extremely specific concerning notarized documents. Take the originals and copies of the originals. If you do not take copies and say they want a birth certificate then you will be leaving the original to meet their needs.

It is all about them and no you can't use their copy machine.

The standard submission approach is: 

Forms are originals, supporting documents are copies (notarized or certified if required).

As for certified copies of married cert, her birth certs, etc.. you should have gotten extra copies of everything so you can bring certified copies.

Maybe we should be clearer about bringing a copy of the petition filed for AOS..  it should really be as near complete a copy as possible; meaning, if you submitted a certified copy of something, have another certified copy for your personal version... then also basic copies of the entire package as well in case they'll take a copy.

203007[/snapback]

I agree.

We got three copies of everything we needed (ie.. her birth certificate, our divorce decrees, marriage certificate, etc...). I have one copy of her birth certificate and one copy of our marriage certificate. I think if you get three copies of evrything you should have at least one left after this process is complete.