The interview in Guanzhou

Is it a must that the petitioner be in Guanzhou for the interview? I have heard two different versions, one says that my fiancee is much, much more likely to receive her visa if I am there and then others say that it does not matter, as long as all of her paperwork and evidence is complete? Thanks!

Is it a must that the petitioner be in Guanzhou for the interview? I have heard two different versions, one says that my fiancee is much, much more likely to receive her visa if I am there and then others say that it does not matter, as long as all of her paperwork and evidence is complete?  Thanks!

202814[/snapback]

No, you do not need to be there for her interview.. I wasnt and my SO at the time, passed easily with only about 5 questions asked.. She said it was so simple!

Is it a must that the petitioner be in Guanzhou for the interview? I have heard two different versions, one says that my fiancee is much, much more likely to receive her visa if I am there and then others say that it does not matter, as long as all of her paperwork and evidence is complete?  Thanks!

202814[/snapback]

Petitioners are not allowed at the interview, but that doesn't stop you from going to Guangzhou to provide support and otherwise prep your SO for the interview. Some applicants will bring the petitioner's passport or copy with them to the interview and make sure the VO knows that you are there waiting. Whether this influences the outcome of the interview is anybody's guess.

In addition to support, to me, one advantage to being in Guangzhou is that you are on site if a problem arises.

It seems to be more a sentimental move than a statistical one... meaning, the data doesn't seem to support the idea that being present makes the approval any more certain.

I would stay one exception might be if you only had one visit to your SO and were comtemplating whether to go to the interview or not, a second visit probably looks better than only one visit over the course of a year.

But the ability to help, as Frank rightly points out, and enjoy the experience together and come back to the US together makes the trip also well worth it.

It's a judgement call - if you were only together for a week in China one time with little or no paper trail of an ongoing relationship, it would probably help a lot to be there in GZ for the interview.

If you have been to China a few times for a longer stay each time and have pictures, phone records, e mails etc, then being there for the interview is probably not that important.

Good luck!!

Hi,

Yes, it seems like a hard decision. We are currently talking about this since my next (second) trip is planned for August so I can be with Loving Candle for her birthday. BUT, we are moving right along and we MAY get an interview before then. And if not, it may be shortly after.

Anybody know about the risks of asking GUZ to delay the interview to a certain date range? I can probably get a flight out of Shaghai (POE in China for this trip) or Shenyang (destination airport) for about the same price as trying to change discount tickets already paid for.

I REALLY want to be there for the interview since we both feel it will make a big difference. We mostly communicate by yahoo chat since our very busy schedules and the time difference let us do this frequently and the phone calls are infrequent at best. I also sit in a cubicle at work, so phone calls would be very noticable too, BTW.

-James

Having the petitioner is not necessary, and she only needs a notarized copy of your passport, especially showing your chinese visas and visits.

HOWEVER: to me, being there to share this experience with her and show my love and support was more important than any other reason to be there. Believe me, if you are there, it is perhaps her greatest confidence boost and in my opinion, that boost will increase her odds of getting the visa. I also could not miss sharing the joy of her passing the interview.

Just as important, is if she gets a blue slip, I wanted to be there to support her in a difficult time. Further, with a blue slip, I knew we could attain a faster overcome by my being there because I would be able to take charge of the situation.

Except for extenuating circumstances, there is no way I would have missed being there for her interview, and if we had to do it over again, I would be there again!

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)
Anybody know about the risks of asking GUZ to delay the interview to a certain date range? 

202859[/snapback]

GUZ recently responded here:

Dear GUZ:

Maybe you can answer this.

My fiance's father has cancer. He's already undergone surgery and not expected to live too much longer, maybe a year, maybe a little longer, maybe less we do not know. The fiance has asked me if she couldn't stay there to take care of him, yes, of course I said realizing it's extremely important to her. But, depending on a few things I've already mentioned, her staying in China to take care of her father may cause her to miss the mandatory must-use by date on her visa - meaning - she might not be able to use it in time.

I realize this is a hypothetical question but it came up nonetheless. At present - although it's not yet scheduled - we are proceeding toward her interview at Guangzhou. But a question came up.

The question? Is there such a thing as a visa extention? Meaning, once the visa is issued it has to be used within a six month period ... can that six month period be extended for/when extenuating circumstances such as I've described above are present?

If you have any suggestions, what are they?

Any light you can shed on this question will greatly be appreciated.

Paul

201118[/snapback]

Dear CFL Members,

If an applicant has a valid reason for not using their visa before it expires, we can usually issue them a new one. However, they must pay the visa fee again.

You also have the option of delaying your interview until you are sure your fiance will be able to go to the US and stay until she adjusts status there.

Sincerely,

IV Unit, U.S. Consulate, Guangzhou, China

201662[/snapback]

Dear USCONGUZ,

A girl on 001 asked me if I could help to ask a question here. Her situation is quite similar. Her CR1 case was sent from NVC to Guangzhou last August. Days ago she broke her ankle very badly and is now in hospital. She worries that her interview might be scheduled soon since she has been waiting for about 8 months, and due to her current situation she will not be able to take the interview and use the visa within 6 months after it's issued.

She wonders:

1. If she requests to delay her interview until she recovers and is able to board a plane to the US, what valid proof/prooves does she need to submit? Something like a hospital record, or anything issued by her doctor?

2. How should she submit the request and proof? By fax or email via the Consulate's official website? What other information does she need to specify while submitting the request and proof/prooves?

Your kind reply will be much appreciated. Have a nice day!

202179[/snapback]

This person should contact us directly about her case.

Delaying an interview date is generally not a big deal, so there is usually no need to provide "proof" of anything.

202506[/snapback]

202814[/snapback]

I am going back this monday to be with Yanlan. Only because I have only one visit for a month and because she really really wants me there. I have no problem with that!! I miss her.

Rick and Yanlan

202814[/snapback]

I am going back this monday to be with Yanlan. Only because I have only one visit for a month and because she really really wants me there. I have no problem with that!! I miss her.

Rick and Yanlan

202910[/snapback]

Wow Rick, good for both of you, have a great trip and keep in touch with us, she will do fine for the interview. I am sure you already do this, but if not, do some mock interviews and practice the interview questions with her, it really will help. We read the interview posts on CFL and they really helped her become familiar with everything from arrival at the consulate, to saying "Good morning" to the VO, where to put the evidence etc. It really helped.

Have a great trip, interview, and keep us posted ! ! ! Ken

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)
Hi,

Yes, it seems like a hard decision.  We are currently talking about this since my next (second) trip is planned for August so I can be with Loving Candle for her birthday.  BUT, we are moving right along and we MAY get an interview before then.  And if not, it may be shortly after.

Anybody know about the risks of asking GUZ to delay the interview to a certain date range?  I can probably get a flight out of Shaghai (POE in China for this trip) or Shenyang (destination airport) for about the same price as trying to change discount tickets already paid for.

I REALLY want to be there for the interview since we both feel it will make a big difference.  We mostly communicate by yahoo chat since our very busy schedules and the time difference let us do this frequently and the phone calls are infrequent at best.  I also sit in a cubicle at work, so phone calls would be very noticable too, BTW.

-James

202859[/snapback]

The trouble is, even if you can have the interview delayed you can't really choose the date. Or can you?

I knew that me being at the interview was not necessary, but I will be doing soon just to show my SO, that I would be there to support her. The 2nd reason was that I didn't want to suffer the anxiety of having to wait at the airport, wondering whether she will arrive okay, or if she got lost somehow. This way, I can come back with her, and help her with the luggage at the same time. I believe most people are going to need 2 big luggages. And one person pulling it is going to be tough.

Edited by Jonathan (see edit history)