Renting a car in China

If you really want 'fear factor' excitement.. get on the back of a moped driven by your SO ! :blink:

Been there; done that.. scariest and most exciting death rides of my life...

201327[/snapback]

NO WAY...My wife is a lot more of a thrill seeker than I am so I can only imagine her driving anything like a motorbike, snowmobile, or jet ski with me on the back... :o

I like cars, they're a much bigger target for crazy drivers... :huh: :blink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want 'fear factor' excitement.. get on the back of a moped driven by your SO !   :blink:

Been there; done that.. scariest and most exciting death rides of my life...

201327[/snapback]

NO WAY...My wife is a lot more of a thrill seeker than I am so I can only imagine her driving anything like a motorbike, snowmobile, or jet ski with me on the back... :o

I like cars, they're a much bigger target for crazy drivers... :huh: :blink:

201329[/snapback]

My SO took on a bus with her moped (yes, me in tow) by going into on coming traffic ... She was counting on cutting this bus off...

The bus 'chickened' out and braked and she went wissing by into more head on traffic of the service road.. She laughed like hell... and would simply say, "What's up?"

Guest pushbrk
And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :o And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :blink: I learned to drive on the mean streets of Chicago where no quarter was expected or given. Where the slow and the indecisive where left to gnash their teeth and beat their heads on the wheel at the side of the road... :D And I HIT THE GAS... :P HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously... :o I've been driven around all over China in taxis and private cars and folks...THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW AND THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING I CAN'T DO... :D

So if nobody else has been dumb enough to try it let me be the first... :) To go where no American man has gone before...Ah the glory... :blink:

201267[/snapback]

Pretty funny, Roger!! But, honestly, I've read that if a westerner is involved in any type of traffic accident, regardless of fault, you'll be paying out the wazzoo.

201284[/snapback]

I've heard the same thing Dennis...But won't State Farm cover me... :huh:

201291[/snapback]

I doubt it. I suspect it will cost you less to hire a private car and driver for the day than you would expect to pay for a rental car in a US city. Then the liability and worry is on the driver. If I were in your shoes, I would sure check into that.

And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :o And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :blink: I learned to drive on the mean streets of Chicago where no quarter was expected or given. Where the slow and the indecisive where left to gnash their teeth and beat their heads on the wheel at the side of the road... :D And I HIT THE GAS... :P HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously... :o I've been driven around all over China in taxis and private cars and folks...THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW AND THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING I CAN'T DO... :D

So if nobody else has been dumb enough to try it let me be the first... :) To go where no American man has gone before...Ah the glory... :blink:

201267[/snapback]

Pretty funny, Roger!! But, honestly, I've read that if a westerner is involved in any type of traffic accident, regardless of fault, you'll be paying out the wazzoo.

201284[/snapback]

I've heard the same thing Dennis...But won't State Farm cover me... :huh:

201291[/snapback]

I doubt it. I suspect it will cost you less to hire a private car and driver for the day than you would expect to pay for a rental car in a US city. Then the liability and worry is on the driver. If I were in your shoes, I would sure check into that.

201340[/snapback]

I 2nd that one!

http://www.cellularabroad.com/chinacar.html

Car Rentals in China

Renting a car in China is not highly advisable for various reasons. To see the most things in the shortest amount of time, a car rental at your disposal could be a great thing; yet, renting a car in China can be very confusing for the traveler.

For instance, most drivers get around simply by using road signs and asking assistance in directions from others. Visitors (and especially those who have rented a car in China) are often shocked to find that the roads simply do not have names or numbers. Even taxi drivers will often not know an exact location, so they will go to the general area, then ask for help in pointing to the right way!

Another alternative to renting a car for your entire stay in China is renting a car in one particular city, such as Beijing where driving is possible, and renting a car through a local Beijing agency is doable. Yet, it is only renting the car for driving within the city limits.

Instead of renting a car simply for yourself in China, a great alternative is renting a car with your own personal driver; the costs for this is relative in relation to the overall cost of travel, and is a wise investment in the journey. You can get the driver for the day, but first check with your hotel or local China travel agency regarding that form of car rental in China.

Something else of note regarding car rentals in China: an American driver's license is considered unacceptable. You will need to obtain an International Driver's Permit.

Other alternatives to renting a car in China exist including bicycling (which would, of course, not be for your entire stay, but handy in exploring within each town or city), subways, taxis, or even pedicabs.

Pretty funny, Roger!!  But, honestly, I've read that if a westerner is involved in any type of traffic accident, regardless of fault, you'll be paying out the wazzoo.

201284[/snapback]

I've heard the same thing Dennis...But won't State Farm cover me... :lol:

201291[/snapback]

I've also heard that you can buy drunk drivers insurance in China...not to protect you from other drunk drivers, but to protect you when you drive drunk.

Roger I rented a car in 2002 with an international drivers license that excluded CHina, and drove it just fine. Of course the owner was with me but her was willing to just let me take it. Had a local Chinese girl who arranged all this and came with me and she said oh, you are American. You can do anything. Police will nt bother you. etc. So I broke the law real good I guess.

And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :D And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :ph34r: I learned to drive on the mean streets of Chicago where no quarter was expected or given. Where the slow and the indecisive where left to gnash their teeth and beat their heads on the wheel at the side of the road... :o And I HIT THE GAS... :P HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously... :huh: I've been driven around all over China in taxis and private cars and folks...THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW AND THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING I CAN'T DO... :D

So if nobody else has been dumb enough to try it let me be the first... :) To go where no American man has gone before...Ah the glory... :draw:

201267[/snapback]

201284[/snapback]

I've heard the same thing Dennis...But won't State Farm cover me... :lol:

201291[/snapback]

201340[/snapback]

I 2nd that one!

201342[/snapback]

I 3rd this one, the idea of hiring a driver. However, the price will certainly be higher than rental in US.

In Shanghai area, and 10hour rental, including driver, cost roughly 500yuan if stay in Shanghai, higher if go beyond the city limit.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

Don't even consider renting a car in China!

I drive in the US, in Europe, and in many Middle East countries ... never in China.

The risk is too great. It's a free for all and a laowei will always be taken advantage of if you get into a problem.

There are many inexpensive forms of transport ... don't drive!

Shheeeessshhhhhh...what a bunch of little old ladies... :o Thanks for all the good advice really...I know you're all right in my head and I've rented cars with drivers a bunch of times and it always turned out fine but this time I really wanted to try getting my own feet wet... :unsure: I guess I'll go with the majority and sit in the back seat enjoying the scenery... :lol:

Shheeeessshhhhhh...what a bunch of little old ladies... :o Thanks for all the good advice really...I know you're all right in my head and I've rented cars with drivers a bunch of times and it always turned out fine but this time I really wanted to try getting my own feet wet... :unsure: I guess I'll go with the majority and sit in the back seat enjoying the scenery... :rolleyes:

201478[/snapback]

State Farm cover you... :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one

I wanted to drive last trip but I was told "NO!" by you know who. :(

I had a Japanese driver's license years ago. Even had to take the written test.

I've driven in Japan and New York but not sure which was worse. Both looked about the same as what I saw in Shanghai but there were more lanes in Shanghai.

As for an accident I am sure it would be like in Japan before insurance. Carry a wad of cash to pay off in case of a fender bender.

What I would be more worried about is the wreckage you leave behind you as the other drivers crane their necks to see the Laowai who can drive :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

The one argument that I see against it is; why spend your time behind the wheel while there is so much for you to be looking at during the ride.

Shheeeessshhhhhh...what a bunch of little old ladies... :lol: Thanks for all the good advice really...I know you're all right in my head and I've rented cars with drivers a bunch of times and it always turned out fine but this time I really wanted to try getting my own feet wet... :rolleyes: I guess I'll go with the majority and sit in the back seat enjoying the scenery... :rolleyes:

201478[/snapback]

You SHEEP :lol:

Looks like Trigg won you over. :unsure:

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)
Shheeeessshhhhhh...what a bunch of little old ladies... :lol: Thanks for all the good advice really...I know you're all right in my head and I've rented cars with drivers a bunch of times and it always turned out fine but this time I really wanted to try getting my own feet wet... :rolleyes: I guess I'll go with the majority and sit in the back seat enjoying the scenery... :rolleyes:

201478[/snapback]

201495[/snapback]

Tell you what Lee...You rent the car and drive and I'll sit in the back seat with laopo... :lol: :lol:

201478[/snapback]

201495[/snapback]

Tell you what Lee...You rent the car and drive and I'll sit in the back seat with laopo... :lol: :lol:

201496[/snapback]

Good choice goat man