Is it a "snack" or is it food?

Guest knloregon

Guest knloregon

Fei is back (today) from her first visit to China since immigrating to the US 14 months ago...... Point of entry is Portland:

Hey! I warned her....... declare, and expect to give up the food (Fei is bringing back a lot of speciality foods from China.. processed and dry, but still food).........

Customs officer: "What is all this?"

Fei: "Its a snack."

Customs officer: "this is food!"

Fei: "No, just a snack, not food."

Customs officer: "A snack IS food!"

Fei: " It is ????? So sorry!!! Didn't know!"

Customs officer: "A lot of snacks here!"

Fei: SORRY, didn't realize snacks were food!!!"

Customs officer: "OK, what is this skin cream --- it has tiger extract in it?"

Fei: "no, no! Just the name on it! Chinese think tiger very strong!"

Customs officer: OK, here is a brochure in Chinese about what is legal and illegal to bring into the country, take this with you and read it, OK?

Fei: "Sure! thank you very much!"

Customs officer: "And oh, by the way, here in America, a snack is food....."

Fei: "Ok, sorry, I didn't know...... "

I was really ticked off when they confiscated this triangle pillow I brought back from Thailand. Something about rice straw being used in the pillow for support, and this being potentially dangerous for U.S. rice crops. I wasn't happy. The woman smiled at me "We do grow a lot of rice in America." "Not in NY we don't." Anyway, I lost the pillow and saw them throw it in a garbage can with lots of Chinese snacks that they were cutting up.

Fei is back (today) from her first visit to China since immigrating to the US 14 months ago...... Point of entry is Portland:

Hey!  I warned her.......  declare, and expect to give up the food  (Fei is bringing back a lot of speciality foods from China.. processed and dry, but still food).........

Customs officer:  "What is all this?"

Fei:  "Its a snack."

Customs officer:  "this is food!"

Customs officer:  "A snack IS food!"

Fei:  " It is ?????  So sorry!!!  Didn't know!"

Customs officer:  "A lot of snacks here!"

Fei:  SORRY, didn't realize snacks were food!!!"

Customs officer:  "OK, what is this skin cream --- it has tiger extract in it?"

Fei:  "no, no!  Just the name on it!  Chinese think tiger very strong!"

Customs officer:  OK, here is a brochure in Chinese about what is legal and illegal to bring into the country, take this with you and read it, OK? 

Fei:  "Sure! thank you very much!"

Customs officer:  "And oh, by the way, here in America, a snack is food....."

Fei:  "Ok, sorry, I didn't know...... "

198510[/snapback]

Funny...but sad. I had a smile on my face while reading this. But, here is my question about most US snack food. Is it really food or chemicals wanting to be food?...hehe

Fei is back (today) from her first visit to China since immigrating to the US 14 months ago......   Point of entry is Portland:

Hey!  I warned her.......  declare, and expect to give up the food  (Fei is bringing back a lot of speciality foods from China.. processed and dry, but still food).........

Customs officer:  "What is all this?"

Fei:  "Its a snack."

Customs officer:  "this is food!"

Customs officer:  "A snack IS food!"

Fei:  " It is ?????  So sorry!!!  Didn't know!"

Customs officer:  "A lot of snacks here!"

Fei:  SORRY, didn't realize snacks were food!!!"

Customs officer:  "OK, what is this skin cream --- it has tiger extract in it?"

Fei:  "no, no!  Just the name on it!  Chinese think tiger very strong!"

Customs officer:  OK, here is a brochure in Chinese about what is legal and illegal to bring into the country, take this with you and read it, OK? 

Fei:  "Sure!   thank you very much!"

Customs officer:  "And oh, by the way, here in America, a snack is food....."

Fei:  "Ok, sorry, I didn't know...... "

198510[/snapback]

Funny...but sad. I had a smile on my face while reading this. But, here is my question about most US snack food. Is it really food or chemicals wanting to be food?...hehe

198634[/snapback]

On an added note:

If you eat healthy there is no reason to "snack" unless

you need the extra energy while you are biking, hiking etc.

Ah yes, the ignorant immigrant card is played and the hand is won again!

:toot: :toot: :toot:

My lao po brought a half a suitcase full of "snacks" into LAX and her bags were never looked at. But if they did look, I'm sure she would have played the same card!!! :toot:

Oh, and I would have had to play the dumb lao gong card as I was with her and had no idea that she that much stuff!!! I would have told him to open one of them bags and see if it smelled edible to him!!!:toot: :toot: :lol:

Edited by cosmiclobster (see edit history)
Ah yes, the ignorant immigrant card is played and the hand is won again!

:toot:  :toot:  :toot:

My lao po brought a half a suitcase full of "snacks" into LAX and her bags were never looked at. But if they did look, I'm sure she would have played the same card!!!  :toot:

Oh, and I would have had to play the dumb lao gong card as I was with her and had no idea that she that much stuff!!! I would have told him to open one of them bags and see if it smelled edible to him!!!:toot:  :toot:  :lol:

198737[/snapback]

They go after the old ladies. :(