My wife doesn’t speak much English and I don’t speak much Chinese. She is studying English and I Chinese. We talk on the phone every day and communicate just fine. We each have talking translators. On occasion we use an interpreter service to discuss in-depth things. There are services available today that will translate on the fly. It seems to me that guz has an outdated mindset on verbal communications. Maybe 10 years ago it was a problem? but not with the electronics and resources of today. I would hope that the people in guz understand this and would not put such a high importance on verbal communication.

198077[/snapback]

Jiaying and I found that the human translators would always add their own spin of one kind or another. We found the electronic ones to be much better.

It was not an issue at the interview.

198088[/snapback]

This was my biggest problem during my initial contact with my SO, from the first emails through my first visit. After that, I insisted that we devise a way to communicate without him.

Of course, Manyun objected as she trusted him completely. But he caused me more stress during my visit last year than any other reason.

We will use him sparingly during my second visit beginning next week. Not with Manyun, but with her mother as this is the first thing we will do after leaving Guangzhou...visit Shenzhen for a few days, and then return to Nanning for the remainder of the time.

I went to the American citizen hour on Friday, I got there at 2pm.... went into the waiting room that have all the windows that the interviews are done at.  I was asked to fill out a form and take a number.

I was the only WHITE CITIZEN in the room, most were chinese people

The form asks for your SO name, DOB, CASE #.... then it asks if you have specific questions that you want to ask about your case.

I thought that the ACH was an open forum, and that it was for people to get familar with questions regarding the process for the interview.  to my surprise it was conducted on a 1 on 1 basis with a V.O.

As I waited for my number to be called, I could hear others session with the V.O.'s and their problems, nothing that pertained to me, so I didn't focus in on their problems, but could hear very clear.  The windows are very thick glass with a mic on both sides, and a slot for passing things back and forth.... Just like a bank!!!

After about 30 minutes my # was called, I went up to window # 25 and was greeted by a young 30's american fellow, which I could tell he was happy to see a white face!!!  I handed him my form and he asked what can I do for you.  I told him that I had a few quetions about our case..... and then he looked at his screen on the computer, and said.... oh.. I see you have emailed several times, and that you made a change of address...  he then said thats good.

we started talking about the visa pickup time and how accurate they are to have them completed and delivered, he told me that 99% of the time the visa is at the china post the evening before, but you have to pickup on the day of your scheduled pickup.

We started talking about many things such as the most recent trend of denials, for K-1, K-3, CR-1.......He said that if a middle aged chinese woman with 2 teenage kids, recently divorced met a guy from NY that doesn't have a good job, and barely meets the REQUIREMENTS, he said that would raise a red flag, most likely they would be denied

another reason he told me........ If 2 people are in a relationship and the chinese person cannot speak english, and the american cannot speak chinese.... That is reason for not having a valid relationship  " How can you have a relationship if you cannot understand each other, how do you communicate on the phone?"

The last bit of advise I got from the 1 on 1 was..........

If your SO, Wife...... gets a blue slip, they will tell you why they are they are giving it, with more evidence that is needed for overcome

The V.O. will give a list of evidence needed  to proceed, and if your SO or Wife has all the items on the list with them at that time, they can tell the V.O. that they have all the items they are requesting.  Make sure that they ask the V.O. if they can step aside and gather the items and return to the window when they get them gathered.

The V.O. that I talked with said that is what he does if the person tells him they have all the overcome evidence at the time of interview.

He also told me "IF" someone is denied, and they don't tell the V.O. they have all the evidence that they are requesting. HE SAID.... TELL THEM NOT TO LEAVE THE AREA AND GO TO WINDOW #30 THEY CAN RESOLVE THEIR CASE AT THAT TIME.

I had a enjoyable time talking to the nice V.O. and we talked about many different situations, and also had a few laughs too.

He told me that it is true that they only see the case minutes before the interview, and NEVER GIVE THEM ANYTHING THAT THEY DON'T ASK FOR!!!  They don't have time for you to disrupt their process they have certain ways for conducting the interview.

I hope everyone can benifit from my experiance

Scott

197469[/snapback]

I see your SO got her interview. Can we celebrate? I notice it only took you a month from P3-P4. My SO is still waiting for her P4. It has been just over a month since she mailed back the paperwork. I hope we, too, get the P4 and interview soon.

Mark

My wife doesn’t speak much English and I don’t speak much Chinese. She is studying English and I Chinese. We talk on the phone every day and communicate just fine. We each have talking translators. On occasion we use an interpreter service to discuss in-depth things. There are services available today that will translate on the fly. It seems to me that guz has an outdated mindset on verbal communications. Maybe 10 years ago it was a problem? but not with the electronics and resources of today. I would hope that the people in guz understand this and would not put such a high importance on verbal communication.

198077[/snapback]

Jiaying and I found that the human translators would always add their own spin of one kind or another. We found the electronic ones to be much better.

It was not an issue at the interview.

198088[/snapback]

This was my biggest problem during my initial contact with my SO, from the first emails through my first visit. After that, I insisted that we devise a way to communicate without him.

Of course, Manyun objected as she trusted him completely. But he caused me more stress during my visit last year than any other reason.

We will use him sparingly during my second visit beginning next week. Not with Manyun, but with her mother as this is the first thing we will do after leaving Guangzhou...visit Shenzhen for a few days, and then return to Nanning for the remainder of the time.

198740[/snapback]

Michael -

Are you back at home or still in China? I hope everything goes (went) well with you guys with the future in-laws and your (her) translator. Please keep us posted, ok.

Wheel Man

• 3 years later...
He also told me "IF" someone is denied, and they don't tell the V.O. they have all the evidence that they are requesting. HE SAID.... TELL THEM NOT TO LEAVE THE AREA AND GO TO WINDOW #30 THEY CAN RESOLVE THEIR CASE AT THAT TIME.

Scott

197469[/snapback]

Thanks for sharing Scott. Excellent feedback and questions..... :)

OMG! I've collected so many posts and clips of information to email to xiaomin! Like she has time to read with less then a week to go before her interview. I hate it that the ball is entirely in her court now, I feel so helpless! She's chargin' like a mad bull though, passed her medical with flying colors [i keep telling her she has the body of a 25 year old, now I have proof! LOL] and she paid her Visa fee, and has everything collected and organized, a ride to the consulate lined up, forms filled out. She's as ready as ready can be! Thanks everyone for this information. We're counting on a pink, but expecting a blue [just to be prepared to avoid a mental devastation] but knowing that it's possible to recover from a blue, on-the-spot, is amazingly encouraging. Thank you, thank you, thank you. [God, do I sound nervous? And I'm all the way in California! LOL]

Great stuff---esspecially 'window 30' this is news to most of us I'm sure!!

My wifes first interview she was denied,went to window #30,and the information she got(Rudely i might add) "you was denied....non bonafide relationship" she asked why, no reason was given.They make it sound sweet and sugary,but if you get denied....you will get shit !!!........having said that,i also went to the ACH for my wifes second interview,and had a very pleasant experience,the VO i had was a 30ish white male,listened to all my concerns,typed it in the computer,and was very pleasant to talk with....the VO my wife had,when she described him,did fit the desciption of the VO i had at ACH,wheather they were the same its possible,but i don't know.Also,It seems english is becoming a big issue,....so those that are new to this journey,and your wife or fiancee doesn't speak good english,get them into english school.This topic also came up from the VO i had,when i was at ACH.

jimi