i know there are links about this, but my searchs always come up so broad i end up reading and getting involved in something else. ;)

so we got our coveted page in her passport...

she arrives in a couple weeks after all her crap is setup back home. says goodbyes and what not.

what are we looking at next...

i have heard that we can get her social within 2-3 weeks of her arrival.

is there something else i should begin a little early?

is there something else i should begin a little early?

196592[/snapback]

Get married maybe? ;)

I'm trying to recall what happened when Jingwen and the kids arrived - between arrival and marriage.

Prior to marriage, I don't think there's a lot of visa/immigrant related stuff to worry about. Like you said, a social security card is something to think about. We actually waited for the EADs to come in before going for cards.

Enrollment in ESL or school was high on our list as were cell phones and shopping for other Chinese essentials.

Enjoy the relative freedom from immigration matters for a while, get married and then work on the next phase.

The fun really begins after marriage. :P

I think Frank is right -- the "fun" really begins when the two of you are together in a permanent relationship. The exotic and different nature of the thing wears off sooner or later, but a vestige of the odd and wonderful connection a Sino-American marriage is always remains. Things actually settle down to just two people who love each other making a life together.

The same parameters that control success in any relationship come into play: real love; patience; understanding; empathy; listening . . . I'm not sure anyone is completely prepared for it all, and I believe it takes extra measures of these kinds of qualities to make the relationship work when the partners are so different culturally. But it's a great opportunity to learn and grow.

I have found my wife and I have a special bond that sets us apart from other couples, generally. Just being together here has meant we went through a lot together and the fact that we made this mutual cultural leap work for us both is always special.

Our own Great Leap Forward & Cultural Revolution, all wrapped up into one. Only this time it worked!

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)

Lots of stuff will happen next.

I thought everything was good to go after the visa.

Spent a week in GZ while she tied up loose ends, partied with

friends and family. Said our goodbyes at the counter and proceeded

through security and passport control to our gate for the hop to HK.

Once seated in the waiting area she began to cry and did not perk

up until we flew over SF on our final approach.