Attach the IRS W-7 form w/ evidence to your IRS 1040. This will enable you to file jointly and get an ITIN for your wife until she gets a SSN.

Go to the IRS website and find the W-7 form and instuctions.

-good luck and many happy returns!...... :P

196495[/snapback]

Ty:

How soon can I get my refund if I follow the above instructions?

Attach the IRS W-7 form w/ evidence to your IRS 1040. This will enable you to file jointly and get an ITIN for your wife until she gets a SSN.

196495[/snapback]

Ty:

196532[/snapback]

Depends on how long it takes to get outta Philly with the ITIN, then depends on the processing time of a paper filing.

I did paper without the extra stop and it took 7 weeks in Austin.

196495[/snapback]

Ty:

196532[/snapback]

Depends on how long it takes to get outta Philly with the ITIN, then depends on the processing time of a paper filing.

196533[/snapback]

You just sent all your paperwork to Philly, and then they would forward the returns to the appropriate Tax Center after generating an ITIN. I mean you do not have to send the same tax returns again to your Tax Center after you received her ITIN.

Do you mean 7 weeks from start to refund?

196495[/snapback]

Ty:

196532[/snapback]

196533[/snapback]

You just sent all your paperwork to Philly, and then they would forward the returns to the appropriate Tax Center after generating an ITIN. I mean you do not have to send the same tax returns again to your Tax Center after you received her ITIN.

Do you mean 7 weeks from start to refund?

196543[/snapback]

You got it, the entire package goes to Philly and they put the ITIN on the tax papers and forward it onto the service center. Do not send a copy to the service center as it will cause too much confusion.

Now we had an SSN so we bypassed Philly, no telling how long that takes.

One thing to consider is getting your documents verified locally, supposedly a list at IRS, so you don't have to send things like passport and such to them.

-good luck and many happy returns!...... :D

196495[/snapback]

thank you for your input, however, isn't it that W-7 is only for people who is not eligible for SSN? my wife is eligible for a SSN, but she is not going to get a SSN before she gets her EAD. I am wondering what can i do on my tax before it reach April 15, 2006. thanks!

thank you for your input, however, isn't it that W-7 is only for people who is not eligible for SSN?0„2 my wife is eligible for a SSN, but she is not going to get a SSN before she gets her EAD.0„2 I am wondering what can i do on my tax before it reach April 15, 2006.0„2 thanks!

197010[/snapback]

As I understand this, she is NOT eligible for the SSN until AFTER she gets the EAD (meaning that she is eligible for the TIN NOW).

But you can always file for an extension - figure up your tax, fill out the return, and send in the ("estimated" - although you will know the exact amount) amount due. Then, after she gets the SSN, send in the full return.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
thank you for your input, however, isn't it that W-7 is only for people who is not eligible for SSN??? my wife is eligible for a SSN, but she is not going to get a SSN before she gets her EAD.?? I am wondering what can i do on my tax before it reach April 15, 2006.?? thanks!

197010[/snapback]

As I understand this, she is NOT eligible for the SSN until AFTER she gets the EAD (meaning that she is eligible for the TIN NOW).

But you can always file for an extension - figure up your tax, fill out the return, and send in the ("estimated" - although you will know the exact amount) amount due. Then, after she gets the SSN, send in the full return.

197050[/snapback]

It may take a bit of time to gather the supporting documentation for the W-7 in time to meet the deadline. I would suggest filing without joint status and then filing an amended return once you have your documentation together.

It is not clear if getting the paperwork to Philly by the filing deadline is the same as being postmarked by the filing date when sending to the service center.

thank you for your input, however, isn't it that W-7 is only for people who is not eligible for SSN??? my wife is eligible for a SSN, but she is not going to get a SSN before she gets her EAD.?? I am wondering what can i do on my tax before it reach April 15, 2006.?? thanks!

197010[/snapback]

197050[/snapback]

It may take a bit of time to gather the supporting documentation for the W-7 in time to meet the deadline. I would suggest filing without joint status and then filing an amended return once you have your documentation together.

It is not clear if getting the paperwork to Philly by the filing deadline is the same as being postmarked by the filing date when sending to the service center.

197101[/snapback]

Or - you can get two automatic extensions to Oct. 15. The extensions don't apply to money owed, just to actually filing the return.