More specific topic

Jemmywell stated in his post on my previous topic that he could not get American Express Travelers checks cashed at Bank of China. Has anyone else had this problem. Is there an American Express office in Nanning? I am trying to avoid as many problem as I can before I arrive.

Hi,

I DID get AMEX travelers checks cashed in a 4 start hotel in Beijing. I could not get them cashed even in my hotel or the bank of China in NE china. Why don't you call or email the hotel (or AMEX) about services in the hotel you will be staying or the location of an actual AMEX office or affiliate? The closest city where I could get my travelers checks cashed was in Shenyang.

-James

Jemmywell stated in his post on my previous topic that he could not get American Express Travelers checks cashed at Bank of China.  Has anyone else had this problem. Is there an American Express office in Nanning? I am trying to avoid as many problem as I can before I arrive.

196442[/snapback]

Here is a link that my help you a lttle bit? http://www.americanexpress.com/china/en/ab...ain/#Commitment

Jemmywell stated in his post on my previous topic that he could not get American Express Travelers checks cashed at Bank of China.  Has anyone else had this problem. Is there an American Express office in Nanning? I am trying to avoid as many problem as I can before I arrive.

196442[/snapback]

We had no problem getting American Express traveler's checks cashed at the Bank of China in Nanning.

I have cashed American Express Traveler's Checks at two distinct branches of the Bank of China in NanNing( 4 trips over 18 months).

It seems that certain branches are set up for this. Bring a copy of your passport...B/W is OK. Your SO can help you with this. For some reason I was limited to $500 at one branch on one occasion.

Again, I recommend taking a camera and having the guard take your picture with your Fiance in front of the reader board showing the date and exchange rates..prima facia evidence of being with your SO in China on a specific date.

Good Luck,

Phil

Hi,

I DID get AMEX travelers checks cashed in a 4 start hotel in Beijing.  I could not get them cashed even in my hotel or the bank of China in NE china.  Why don't you call or email the hotel (or AMEX) about services in the hotel you will be staying or the location of an actual AMEX office or affiliate?  The closest city where I could get my travelers checks cashed was in Shenyang.

-James

196444[/snapback]

I had the same problem in Fushun. I had to go to Shenyang to get Amex checks cashed also and only Monday thru Friday. Also if your POE is Beijing try the Bank of China at the Airport.

I cashed some AmEx travellers checks at the BOC in Beihai. I think it was probably the main branch. It was a little troublesome... but no more so than any simple thing in China.

I brought the rest home in reserve. The ATM was much easier, though at the more "remote" branches it would not work.

I was told, in many small cities, that any BOC will do it. This is only because most small cities only have ONE BOC.

In Qingday, Yantai, Jinan, and other similarly sized cities (eg: FoShan, etc.) Only the MAIN BRANCH OF BOC can do this.

It is simple. You just need to find the right one.

Any taxi driver can take you, for a price, or your SO can just ask.

I used one Nanning BOC branch location near #8 Middle school (ba zhong) and the main branch on Ming Zhu Lou downtown near the big government building.

The only time I was refused was at a tiny BOC branch that claimed they didn't have enough cash and at a BOC branch on Shamian Island (the old embassy location) that said I could only cash traveler's checks at the White Swan Hotel branch.

I was told, in many small cities, that any BOC will do it.  This is only because most small cities only have ONE BOC.

In Qingday, Yantai, Jinan, and other similarly sized cities (eg: FoShan, etc.) Only the MAIN BRANCH OF BOC can do this.

It is simple.  You just need to find the right one.

Any taxi driver can take you, for a price, or your SO can just ask.

196725[/snapback]

I have never had any problem cashing American Express Travelers checks at the Bank of China in Jhanjiang. Actually on my third trip to China I went to the bank to cash $300 in checks it was taking awhile so my wife asked them what the problem was they told there wasn't any and we could proceed to the cashier. When I got there the teller had a big smile on his face as he shoved 3 large stacks of money my way. I thought to myself is this someone elses, I knew I should only have a small amount. I mention this to my wife she said she would count using the automated counter, as she was counting some of the bills started flying in the air as I was gathering them we were getting quite the stares. Anyway my wife told me everything was OK. I couldn't convince her otherwise so I told her to open her purse and I shove it all in. As we were visting friends I tried to explain to her we received to much money so I finally told her I would explain when we got home. When we arrived at home I showed her the receipt and her response was I thought you were getting $3000 not $300. Anyway we called the bank and they came to our home and retrieved the overpayment. The next time I visited the bank they were very gracious smilling and then they gave us some gift certificates.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)