Are There Education Grants for Immigrants?

My wife has a two year degree from a college in China, but I don't think that it will be of much use here. So she decided that she wants to study cosmetology and hair dressing. The local beauty school wants $11,000... which is a lot for me, because I am still paying off school loans myself and returning soon for graduate school.

Do you know if there are any federal programs to aid new immigrants in funding their educations?

I assume she is in the USA now, correct? From what I have learned so far there is nothing until they are a US citezen, I think. I thought I was told not even a perm res qualifies for grants, etc. If anyone does know of somehting I would sure like to know it as well. Scholorships????

Just some advice from my experience. My former step daughter was a hairdresser (her Mom paid for the school). She never earned enough money to make it on her own. Her Mom was still helping her financially. We learned that really it is a job for a married woman who just wants something to do. It will take forever for her to make up that 11k in my opinion. Wait until she has worked for a year doing anything and get her in a Univ as a resident. 2 years of college is less than that in my state anyway.

My wife is still in Beijing. She found any number of American Univ degree programs taught in major China cities by American teachers with an American Diploma given with no mention of China. We just made sure it was a legitimate school but found a local large state Univ teaching business and she will now take this course work while waiting for the visa. Of course she speaks pretty good english.

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)
My wife has a two year degree from a college in China, but I don't think that it will be of much use here.  So she decided that she wants to study cosmetology and hair dressing.  The local beauty school wants $11,000... which is a lot for me, because I am still paying off school loans myself and returning soon for graduate school. 

Do you know if there are any federal programs to aid new immigrants in funding their educations?

195847[/snapback]

You might be able to locate an apprenticeship program, there is a lady here who does this and the students work and study 5 days a week in her shop. She teaches them and they work for free and the shop keeps the income.

Now the local beauty schools don't like her because it hits them in the bottom line, but most of her students are licensed months before the formal schools and have more work experience that the others.

Hi,

As in most things like this you really have to own the shop to make a good living. If that is her goal and you wanted to support her in being a business owner, then there could be potential in this.

Good luck,

-James

Yes, there is federally funded job training available- often referred to as the "Title I" program. Nevada Job Connect is the outfit here. In the late 1990's it was called PIC (Private Industry Council??) in the Northern CA area when I got Locksmith training. The qualification requirements are quite simple, LPR or better, being un/under employed, upgrading skills or a displaced or disabled worker.

Wife is being funded through this program for 1 year at Community College to "üpgrade" her skills to a "Technician" despite her being a degreed and fully licensed medical professional in China. Also I found that as this is Federally funded- the cost of many facilities (public and private even) that provide training are substancially lower than a person "off the street might pay". We got told the costs of re-imbursement of C. college here AND three private schools.

Somewhat related: There are a number of places that will rate a Forgien License and college classes to apply here but we found that GENERALLY the medical training received in China was of too short a duration and there is very little reciprocary between Cn and the US- even with training at Tonji and Fudan U.. We also are aware of the He!! a husband (Chinese Medical doctor) and wife Traditional Chinese Medical Doctor) went through getting lic here. Suprisingly, SHE was licensed in CA before coming here but does NOT meet NV requirements.

Before anyone says that she can not do this due to the I-864, we have throughly checked this out and found that it is NOT true.

Edited by Chinese Wife!!! (see edit history)

Thanks all I will check it out. I guess part of our problem and some of the reason we got the answers we have is due to her being in China and taking the UTA classes in China. If these various programs work we have just enough time to switch gears and save some bucks. Again thanks.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/publicat...ible_noncitizen

Eligible Noncitizen You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:

U.S. citizen

U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island)

U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)

If you’re not in one of these categories, you must be an eligible noncitizen, and you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

“Refugee”

“Asylum Granted”

“Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending”

“Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

"Parollee" (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and intend to become a citizen or permanent resident.)

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you aren’t eligible for federal student aid.

If you’re in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you’re not eligible for federal student aid.

Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible. For more information about other types of visas that are not acceptable, check with your school’s financial aid office.

Citizens and eligible noncitizens may receive loans from the FFEL Program at participating foreign schools. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, or Federal Work-Study. These applicants should check with their schools’ financial aid offices for more information.

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)
Yes,

if:

1. she has a Green Card

2. Your income is low enough

3. She is working on a degree for a BA at an accredited institution.

my wife just got her pell grant check a few weeks ago.

196198[/snapback]

Thanks lele,

I hate to ask but is there some general rule of thumb for income? Or some sliding bar depending on the dependents you claim vs income?

If she goes to a 4 year school, or community college in a transfer program, at least half time, and has never been awarded a US degree, you could also claim the hope scholarship come tax time for up to 2 years. It can reimburse you quite a bit.

If she goes to a 4 year school, or community college in a transfer program, at least half time, and has never been awarded a US degree, you could also claim the hope scholarship come tax time for up to 2 years.  It can reimburse you quite a bit.

196287[/snapback]

and, where are you and your lady today, Jason? How about an update.

Have you made the move yet?

Dennis :blink:

If she goes to a 4 year school, or community college in a transfer program, at least half time, and has never been awarded a US degree, you could also claim the hope scholarship come tax time for up to 2 years.  It can reimburse you quite a bit.

196287[/snapback]

do you know if this is all major credited colleges?

For the Hope Tax Credit, you can apply if you make less than $55,000 a year.

A pell grant, it depends on family size, and income, but it generally only applied for a family of 3 if less than 40,000 a year, and for a family of 2 less than about 30,000 a year.

There may be other programs too. In MA, you can even deduct up to 15% of your hope or lifetime learning credit (even I can take this one, being a graduate student) off of your state taxes...

However, the most you can get from these credits is about 2000 back, unless you live in the New Orleans Area this year.

All in all, the pell grants are much more money (more than 4000 a year, in cash, not needed to be paid back). But, why not shoot for both??? :angry:

For the Hope Tax Credit, you can apply if you make less than $55,000 a year.

A pell grant, it depends on family size, and income, but it generally only applied for a family of 3 if less than 40,000 a year, and for a family of 2 less than about 30,000 a year.

There may be other programs too.  In MA, you can even deduct up to 15% of your hope or lifetime learning credit (even I can take this one, being a graduate student) off of your state taxes...

However, the most you can get from these credits is about 2000 back, unless you live in the New Orleans Area this year.

All in all, the pell grants are much more money (more than 4000 a year, in cash, not needed to be paid back).  But, why not shoot for both??? :P

196400[/snapback]

Thank you very much for the info.

I suppose this is the family income not just hers? As I recall even if we file income tax seperate, if she were here, they still base it on family income. Guess I beter look instead of guess.

She has never had a USA degree, but is going for the advanced. I guess that part is OK. Have a feeling if we don't find a scholorship then we are out of luck.