can my SO have 2 visas?

We easily passed the K3 interview in Hong Kong but while we were there our packet 4 from Guangzhou was sent. So our CR-1 interview is scheduled for March 28th. Now we're just waiting, again.

Do you think having a k3 visa already in my SO's passport will cause any problems with getting the CR-1 visa?

Guangzhou can't cancel the k3 visa that Hong Kong issued can they? This is crazy.

I am aware of instances where a spouse used the K-3 to come to the US and then returned to her home country for the CR-1 interview. The purpose of the K-3 is to provide for just that, so I woud expect some K-3ers to have two visas in the passport.

What I don't know is what happens to the K-3 if it is not used by the time you go to the CR-1 interview. Assuming a successful CR-1 interview, I would hope the K-3 would be voided in favor of the CR-1 visa. As Chad states, using the CR-1 to enter the US allows you to enter as a legal permanent resident while entering on the K-3 requires that you file in the US to adjust status to LPR.

Also, I don't know what would happen if for some untold reason, the CR-1 interview were unsuccessful. I do know that the K-3 status of an alien already admitted to the US terminates 30 days after denial of the CR-1 visa, but the regulations seem silent on the effect on the K-3 if the CR-1 is denied prior to admittance to the US. I have a gut feel that result would not be good.

Don't worry, they will not cancel her visa once it issued.

Also, you might just have your terminology mixed up a little.

K3 is a classification of visa. CR1 is not.

The K3 is a visa which allows you the visa holder multiple entries into the US while adjusting status for green card.

CR=conditional residency. The CR1 interview is basically your AOS interview done at the embassy level. So it is the green card and not a visa.

You are allowed to apply for both. Many couples follow the same route you are using. Like, Frank said, they come to the US and then go back to their country for the green card interview. This is perfectly within the USCIS guidelines.

The CR1 interview is for the two year conditional green card. By all means, GO FOT IT !!!

Sounds like you are that much closer to the end of phase one!

Then all you have to do is wait until two year anniversary of green card and apply to remove conditions. Congrats and good luck.

Don't worry, they will not cancel her visa once it issued.

Also, you might just have your terminology mixed up a little.

K3 is a classification of visa. CR1 is not.

The K3 is a visa which allows you the visa holder multiple entries into the US while adjusting status for green card.

CR=conditional residency. The CR1 interview is basically your AOS interview done at the embassy level. So it is the green card and not a visa.

You are allowed to apply for both. Many couples follow the same route you are using. Like, Frank said, they come to the US and then go back to their country for the green card interview. This is perfectly within the USCIS guidelines.

The CR1 interview is for the two year conditional green card. By all means, GO FOT IT !!!

Sounds like you are that much closer to the end of phase one!

Then all you have to do is wait until two year anniversary of green card and apply to remove conditions. Congrats and good luck.

193960[/snapback]

Actually I think it is 90 days before the two year anniversary of the two year green card--at least that's what they told me????????????????